• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

'Guess the hot musky lure and win a box of pods' CONTEST!

Rymerpt said:
Shit, give me some wasabi and some soy sauce. I may eat #11 myself. Chartruce for the win.
^^ :lol:

Another really good choice ( actually, they are all good choices. That's why I picked them ;))

#11 is a Magnum Shallow Invader made by Musky Innovations. It's one of the new lures I picked up recently and haven't tried yet, so it will definitely get some use on this trip. It's the same lure as #10, but bigger (and obviously a different color). I've had really good luck with the smaller version, so I expect good things from this one.

FYI

I just showed the lures to my wife and had her pick one without much explination. She chose #12. I find that kinda ironic because you said that one has been s big producer and she knows nothing about fishing.

Just wanted to share.

Happy  it is only for US members, that way I don't have to knock Grant off to get number 16 .  Canadian fish love that sucker when the water is clear. :)

hogleg said:
Hey Musky, what do you do to prevent line twist with the inline spinners? Or do you not have problems with that?
I've never had a problem with the bucktails. The blades spin, but the lures themselves don't seem to. For casting, I don't even put a swivel on the leaders I make. I do put swivels on my trolling leaders though.

Rymerpt said:
Those fancy ballbearing swivels are good as gold!

Yea the Sampo's or what ever they are called. I still get line twist with spinners fishing fast water in rivers for steelhead. Using a spinning real isn't helping my sitch either. Still my favorite way to fish steelies though.

Rymerpt said:
Hogleg,

You need to transition to a flyrod.

You ever see those guys that throw there golf clubs in the pond. Yea, I'm not trying to be one of those guys  :lol:

Somewhere I have an old fly rod and reel buried. Where it is safe from being broken over my knee after I lose my ninth nymph on the plant life behind me.

True story.

hogleg said:
You ever see those guys that throw there golf clubs in the pond. Yea, I'm not trying to be one of those guys  :lol:

Somewhere I have an old fly rod and reel buried. Where it is safe from being broken over my knee after I lose my ninth nymph on the plant life behind me.

True story.
Ok

That I can relate to.

Steelhead.......the fish of a thousand casts.

I've only landed one and he was small.

I

Rymerpt said:
Ok

That I can relate to.

I've caught a few big ones on the Trinity by Willow Creek (Patterson bigfoot film) and Sac river by Redding. 7 to 12 pound range. Them and sturgeon are the most exciting thing to catch IMO.

Rymerpt said:
Ok
That I can relate to.
Musky are known as the fish of 10,000 casts. ;) They are extremely elusive, and very fun to catch.

I do fish Steelhead in late winter/early spring here. Lots of fun casting from shore on Lake Superior. For that I use 12 foot rods, spinning reels, and 6lb mono. You can really zing a weighted bobber out there with that setup. We catch a lot of small cohos doing that too.

http://minnesotasteelheader.blogspot.com/2013/04/shore-casting-for-winter-kamloops.html

For musky, I use 80lb braided line and 174lb solid stainless wire leaders for casting. As much as I love catching trout and salmon, it doesn't even come close to hooking on to a big musky, for me. It's truly addicting. Once you see a giant one following your bait to the boat, you are hooked for life ( at least i am). There is no going back...:)

Back