• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Guru's 2013

It begins with a tray...

8529680870_ff959399bf.jpg

locopao said:

Thanks for your answer :)

What's that webby thing in the "Aphid protection" photo?
Spider. See him? Look in the funnel. :)

adamk2212 said:
Guru, thanks for the "dank tank" instructions. 

Time to go start one of my own. Guessing blue gill from our pond will be fine...

Also, almost forgot, your glog, plants, and methods are an inspiration. Keep up the fine work.
Sounds like you're about to have some blue gill stank a liscious! Thanks for the kind words. I'm just trying to pay forward all the things I've been taught. Each day closer to self sustainability.

RPM55 said:
Man I bet the local cats LUV that stank tank!!!

Where did you catch those trout? Some of them are pretty good size for stream fish.
Haha so far the only offended individuals are the wife and kids...lol However neighbors are moving in as we speak so they will find out soon enough what those big black containers are all about!

Caught those all over really. Some Helen, some Keys Ferry, some Blue Ridge.

Pepper-Guru said:
Its just water, some run through the compost strainer, but it's just water and fish. I let it ferment for about a month. Stir daily until you see no solid remains of any fish body. Just brown putrid water, with liquefied bone, scale, flesh, teeth, skin, and a nice rainbow of fish oil. I only do this once a season. Meaning I only "fertilize" one time the entire year. :)
If you don't mind my asking...

This means that the fish tea would be anaerobic, right?

I'm asking because I have a 2 month old kelp bucket that I am brewing but I am somewhat afraid to use as fertilizer... (don't wanna screw up B-))

So you say that is okay to unload all the ungodly anaerobic bacteria kelp solution on the plants ? Do you use it full Strength or diluted? Foliar feed or soil soak?

TX for your time and kudos 4 the glog
Al

I got a bucket of trout brewing right now, and damn it is stinky. Scared to stir daily! Has calmed down a bit thought. Was crazy bad!
Thanks for the info! Was wondering how long to let it sit.

Al-from-Chile said:
I'm asking because I have a 2 month old kelp bucket that I am brewing but I am somewhat afraid to use as fertilizer... (don't wanna screw up B-))
So you say that is okay to unload all the ungodly anaerobic bacteria kelp solution on the plants ? Do you use it full Strength or diluted? Foliar feed or soil soak?
Al
 Yes its perfectly ok. I don't use the fish hydrolysate as a foliar spray, thats just asking for issues. Its not a tea. Its pretty strong stuff. Soil acts as a buffer when dealing with high concentrations of nutrient rich substances. Some anearobic bacteria are good. The enzymatic action of these little critters eating the flesh and liquifying the bones, scales, and teeth is what makes the end result so rich in calcium and minerals. I usually let the process go on for about a month.
GA Growhead said:
I got a bucket of trout brewing right now, and damn it is stinky. Scared to stir daily! Has calmed down a bit thought. Was crazy bad!
Yeah, I almost lost it yesterday when I went to retrieving all the bodies, slice them up and put them into my blender. LoL

8878127144_021d1e41b9_b.jpg

8878128776_7f9934ee48_b.jpg

GA Growhead said:
I hear you bro ...

every time I go stir - I am afraid a slimy blueish hand comes out of the bucket and pulls me in :D

cheers,
Al

Al-from-Chile said:

Al
if im not mistaken, the trick is to let it sit long after the fish have been fully decomposed. This way, the anaerobic bacteria have nothing to flurish on and dwindle in numbers.

Most bacterial species utilize simple monomeric substances such as sugars or amino acids as growth substrates, and others digest complex proteins and polysaccarides. without testing your mix, there is no way to know what type of bacteria you have. The trick is to let it eat up everything its eating, and then die.

That is disgusting.

Over the years, I've done pretty many things that the wife didn't approve of and I have gotten away with most of them, but somehow, I don't think I would win that argument.

"Jeff what is that really stinky barrel in our back yard?"

"well dear, that is my bucket of rotting fish what we are leaving for a month so I can spread it on the gardens..."

Nope, don't think I would win that conversation.

Jeff H said:
That is disgusting.

Over the years, I've done pretty many things that the wife didn't approve of and I have gotten away with most of them, but somehow, I don't think I would win that argument.

"Jeff what is that really stinky barrel in our back yard?"

"well dear, I am trying a new method for turning regular garden stones into diamonds"

"Oh!  Wow!"

"Ill let you know if it works in 30 days or so"

FIFY

But Rich, looking great my friend.

Hey Rich! Have you ever tried bokashi composting? I currently use that for all of my table scraps to speed up the process and then dump them into my outside compost bin. Just wondering what your thoughts where on the bokashi method.

holyhotpeppers said:
Hey Rich! Have you ever tried bokashi composting? I currently use that for all of my table scraps to speed up the process and then dump them into my outside compost bin. Just wondering what your thoughts where on the bokashi method.
All my organic Guru's use it big time! I've yet to try it, but looking forward to it. I tend to let things go slowly in life...how do you like it?

PIC 1 said:
Rich,
That container looks "good and nasty"......best place to keep a brew cold outside, shaded under a big plant
Its especially nasty this year! That's the Butch T shading my brew! She's gonna be just like her mom!

Pepper-Guru said:
All my organic Guru's use it big time! I've yet to try it, but looking forward to it. I tend to let things go slowly in life...how do you like it?

Its especially nasty this year! That's the Butch T shading my brew! She's gonna be just like her mom!
Its great! Nice and convient because I keep it close to the kitchen so I dont have to walk to the compost after every meal. Its anearobic so it stays sealed in the bin which in turn means no smell. I drain the juice ever so often and throw it in with my AACT brew. Really the only thing that needs to be purchased is the Bokashi bran...although you could make your own but, with a wife and 3 kids I dont have time for that. Once my bin is full I let it sit for 2-3 weeks and then dump it outside in the compost to further the process. Whats also nice is you can put meat etc in there since it is anaerobic.

Very cool. Yeah lots of people have gotten into the discussion on composting and I sense that some new comers to that world hear about AACT, just to stop there without realizing there's a whole other side to the spectrum where beneficial anearobic micros hang out. The ones that eat meat. Hence the dank tank. :)

Pepper-Guru said:
Who saw the flea beetle holes? I let em slide...they are small potatoes when it comes to "pest inhabitant capacity" they don't disrupt the plants all that much and they take up property where an aphid could be otherwise...:)

That breakfest looks dynomite, just how I like my steak and eggs, rare and yokes ready to burst. I'll bring over some Ketel One BloodyMary's

Back