• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Guru's 2013

It begins with a tray...

8529680870_ff959399bf.jpg

3/5King said:
You've got so much on your plate. You definitely inspire; showing that we all have more time to do more things than we think.
Can't wait to see your garden grow. I'm going to get myself some of that pool underlayment. I have 18 gallon plastic totes that I get from Wally World for 7-8 bucks but I'd rather not. The price was right though.
I put 60lbs of fish in the ground this year, a few inches under the plant's root zone. I was going to make a pressurized feeding system (that I'd make fish hydrolysate in) out of a 55 gallon steel drum but on pressure testing, the bottom of the barrel bubbled with only 12lbs of pressure in it. We decided to put a hold on that project...lol we've got a lot of things in the works. We're trying to go to a raised bed garden as well. We just keep adding more soil/compost/other amendments yearly. Just need to find some free railroad ties.
Keep up the good fight PG!

Al-from-Chile said:
Yep, definitely inspiring...
Thanks guys! I just try and stay busy. Always reading, thinking about new things to try, places to see, things to grow, make, eat. I like to learn. I guess its my curious nature. The Sagittarius in me. Always shooting for the stars. I have much to learn about life yet, this is evident everyday as I contemplate the past and future and my place in the world. For my wife, my children, my heart beats for them and I make mistakes, but who doesn't? Im just grateful to have what Ive been given; a decent hand in life and a dream.

Today were brewing "Wise Ole Sage"

Its a strong amber. Lots of optic pale ale malt and random caras.
Blend of green and white sages, taragon, and lemon zest.
Horizon buds(hops)

8915683231_01a32fe463_b.jpg

Brix is around 22 ( 1.092sg)

8916296104_15581e5042_b.jpg

Happy brewing!

8916294674_4aa86cd543_b.jpg

The boil has begun!

8916665816_24ac122c88_b.jpg

Sure is. The fryer has done me right with 6 gallon batches thus far, but I'm in the process of building my keggle system. 15.5 gallon capacity, run three burners, more mash control, bigger volumes, pump to move wort around. Were getting there. Hell, I still gotta get the remodel on the 1941 Philco Conservador for my kegerator set up. Lots of things on the to do list!

Jobu said:
1.092?! Big Beer! The yeast have quite a job to do.
  Yes sir! They will have plenty of time to do the job. Still need to finish off two more kegs anyway.
millworkman said:
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, that is going to be a very happy compost pile and a very nice brew!!
You know it! Dude, this wort tasted sooooo good and the aroma! Those herbs and hops worked very well together.

Damn it...I can't have a beer right now! I demand you take down all those beer pics...STAT! :rofl:

Haha, can't wait to see the final product. Won't be anything half-assed with you on the job!

Pepper-Guru said:
  Yes sir! They will have plenty of time to do the job. Still need to finish off two more kegs anyway.
You know it! Dude, this wort tasted sooooo good and the aroma! Those herbs and hops worked very well together.
I love trying the wort before racking. Damn now I have to plan a brew day.

Guru, it' always nice to visit your glog and learn :)
Now I have to make my own compost and soil next season :)

Those containers look super huge, I'm sure they'll produce new giants this season.

I'm trying air pruning pots also, made them myself from geotextile, and they are doing great, not coming back to plastic again :)

Keep bringing new ideas ;)

Loving the look and sound of that brew. I bet it smells fantastic.

Hey I have found a few sources of the Geo textile fabric. I guess I imagined it would be much thicker then it was. Does 1mm thickness sound comparable with your pots Guru??

Hey guru ...quick ? for ya. At the end of the season when you overwinter or chop ... do you find that the plants have actually utilized all the soil in those monster 65 gallon smarts? I wonder where the point of diminishing returns is on the container size?

I'm thinking about getting some but was prob. going to go with 20's I'm thinking

Trippa said:
Loving the look and sound of that brew. I bet it smells fantastic.

Hey I have found a few sources of the Geo textile fabric. I guess I imagined it would be much thicker then it was. Does 1mm thickness sound comparable with your pots Guru??

Guru's material looks a bit better. Ibought some cheap thin geotextile in local garden shop, made some pots and they seem to work great :)

OZZZ said:
Hey guru ...quick ? for ya. At the end of the season when you overwinter or chop ... do you find that the plants have actually utilized all the soil in those monster 65 gallon smarts? I wonder where the point of diminishing returns is on the container size?

I'm thinking about getting some but was prob. going to go with 20's I'm thinking

That's a good question. I'v made my geotex pots in 5-7 gallon range, and chinensis in them are already bigger then the biggest one in regular pot of the same size at the high peak of the last season :)

As I understand, air pruning should require less soil then regular plastic pots, and since my peppers did fine last year in plastic 5 gallon pots, 5 gallon geotex pot should be more then enough. Except if you're running the plant all year around.

Trippa, 1 millimeter seems a bit thin.

Ozz, it depends on the strain/variety. The brainstrain was a huge mass of hairy, rootball as well as the fatalii. Anytime I've given the gift of such a large container to a plant, they have "eaten all their dinner". That includes other plants not in the pepper realm. I've grown in 200gallon smart pots before and those plants would make you think you're in a legal California garden. At the end of the season I've had to peel the container off the root mass, and roll it to the compost bin for a long workout of shovel demolition. Air pruning makes the root structure more fibrous, so it gets pretty crazy. I also think the length of season has a lot to do with it as well. I've seen massive Japanese maples that were literally trees grown permanently, year round in huge fabric containers. I can only imagine what those roots looked like.
Remind me and Ill make sure to document at the end of the season for ya!

Pepper-Guru said:

Ozz, it depends on the strain/variety. The brainstrain was a huge mass of hairy, rootball as well as the fatalii. Anytime I've given the gift of such a large container to a plant, they have "eaten all their dinner". That includes other plants not in the pepper realm. I've grown in 200gallon smart pots before and those plants would make you think you're in a legal California garden. At the end of the season I've had to peel the container off the root mass, and roll it to the compost bin for a long workout of shovel demolition. Air pruning makes the root structure more fibrous, so it gets pretty crazy. I also think the length of season has a lot to do with it as well. I've seen massive Japanese maples that were literally trees grown permanently, year round in huge fabric containers. I can only imagine what those roots looked like.

This is what I have been looking at 

http://www.rockaroundtheblock.com.au/epdm-rubber-pond-dam-liner/installation-accessories-1/geotextile-underlay/geotextile-nonwovens-underlay-fibretex-f-40-sold-per-metre-off-the-1-0m-wide-roll.html

1.5mm thick ... still seems thin to me ... anyway sorry enough of the thread hijacks 

Pepper-Guru said:

Gracias ... How tall was that fatalli? Like 6-7' from the soil line??

So I guess the 1 gallon of soil per 1' of plant rule doesnt apply to these guys then  ;)

The reason I ask is because Im trying to grow in a greenhouse and trying to figure out what size pots to use. I am going to do quite a few 5 gallon containers (choc and yellow bhut, brain strain, TSMB, douglahs) but wanted to put a couple plants in larger containers in the back corners. I have 7.5' height at the peak of the GH so I may just go with 15-20 gallon pots and see how it goes. Fatalli is actually going to be one of those plants and the other will probably be a red bhut. I am planning on keeping them going permenantly if I can with a heat system and good ventillation/exhuast. I was worried about height restrictions of the GH if I used such a large container but if yours got to around 7' in a 65 gallon (and actually used up all the soil, which is amazing) then I might be able to get away with pushing to a 20 gallon or so rather then having to stick with something smaller like a 10 gallon.

Any suggestions? Im all ears.

Sounds about right. They get about two to three feet above my head in the containers. You should be ok, just go with a 15-25 gallon range to feel them out. Height isn't really what I go for. These plants are more like sprawling vines if you look at them hard enough. So, really its about spread and yeild for me. The birgits locoto should be fun to watch this year! Im gonna do my best to train it straight up.

Right on.. Ill give it a go. The height isnt anything Im after either I just was worried they might grow to tall in there if given a ginormous container like you have. I can always just trim them down if they get to tall which should allow them to bush out more which is fine.

Looks like Im gonna be rollin' on 20's ... lol

Rollin' with 20 gals ...

...........rollin' in 20 gallons .... eh ... I give up - Im no thug.

Thanks again for the input!

Back