• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Guru's Garden - Traveling the World in Search of Peppers

Just starting this glog now so it's one less thing to do in a few months when I'm knee deep in compost and getting things in the ground.

Not much to report at the moment. Strains yet to be determined, but I'll probably end up growing too many like always...lol

Only thing that's going on right now is a clean back patio and the chickens doing their part turning over my compost pile on the daily. Intersted in seeing how the soil microbes appreciate the added chicken poop!

12160459874_edc8a4473f_b.jpg

12160725676_2031da1016_b.jpg

Hope everyone has had a decent winter so far and here's to happy germination!

12161422126_10d10e2e41_z.jpg

EDIT UPDATE: This glog has turned into an ongoing overwintering, greenhouse and soil building how-to!

Guru, the music sounds really good. I can't wait to hear the album. 

Side note, I was listening to Octane today and they were bragging about this new band they had. The song was "Electric crown" or something like that. All I thought when I heard it was 'blah' not bad, not good either. Yours is better. Keep it up. 

And patiently waiting on the grow photos. 

Pepper-Guru said:
So, who else finds their kicthen window sill full of half eaten pepper pods? Or am I the only one that does this? LOL I've always looked at it as a good way to dry select pods for seed as well. Anyway, I always collect them at the end of the season, try my best to remember what they were and label the ones im sure of. The ones that I can't positively ID, all get thrown into a "Mystery Bag". Essentially, everything I've ever grown is in this bag. First person to PM me gets it :shh:

12229368783_d94e9c2bf0_c.jpg

Portuge got it!

Better luck next time fellas!

Heehee, how unusual... I like it...

Nice looking chickens. I let mine dig through my compost pile as well. I just ordered some ducks to add to the excitement. I grow mangels for mine. Pm me if you want some seeds.
Do you dry your spent grains in the oven or give them to your chickens wet?

mx5inpa said:
Well for the first time in my life I cant wait for Feb 14th.

Better hurry and go to sleep then!
ronniedeb said:
Looking forward to seeing your season begin. Best of luck with the album and show.

Jeff H said:
Guru, the music sounds really good. I can't wait to hear the album. 

Side note, I was listening to Octane today and they were bragging about this new band they had. The song was "Electric crown" or something like that. All I thought when I heard it was 'blah' not bad, not good either. Yours is better. Keep it up. 

And patiently waiting on the grow photos. 

Thanks guys. Its one the special passion in my life other than growing. I really like writing and performing.

As for the grow season, Tomorrow is the day! Me and these seeds are gonna get so dirty...
Spicegeist said:

Heehee, how unusual... I like it...

It was an unusual night :high: :beer:
Portuge said:
Maybe Rich forgot about sending the bag to me, or it got stuck in the snow storm the east coast has been hit with.. Not a problema

Hey, hey, hey! Ok ,yeah I forgot...but like I said, it was an unusual night. That bag hits the mail in the a.m. on my way to the restaurant. Promise me you'll thow a handful of these in a patch somewhere!
Scarecrw said:
Nice looking chickens. I let mine dig through my compost pile as well. I just ordered some ducks to add to the excitement. I grow mangels for mine. Pm me if you want some seeds.
Do you dry your spent grains in the oven or give them to your chickens wet?
Mangels huh? Sounds good! I just throw it in the compost after the mash and the chickens take care of it.

I do the same thing with pods...I usually cut them in half and toss them into a paper bowl and label it. When they dry I pack the seeds away and toss the pods in a bag...then I scratch that label out and label the next ones to go in. I have paper bowls all over the damn house with 5 or 6 scratched out labels and bags of mixed pods everywhere. Lol...great offer Rich!

Decisions, decisions...

12573052235_e985959c7b_c.jpg

First lets start with the germination mix this season.

Coco
12573319643_732353af38_c.jpg

Peat
12573067645_0c88846126_c.jpg

Rice hulls
12573167033_d1bce0cc47_c.jpg

Perlite
12573211365_08ab878bdd_c.jpg

Vermiculite
12573162533_ebf803e5d6_c.jpg

Final product....MMMMMMMM
12573159013_260d24afa0_c.jpg

Ok I decided:
So far I'm trying to keep the list a bit smaller this season. It will be a great mix of bulk food varieties, tried and true hot favorties, new hot favorites and completely new varieties that I've yet to cultivate. The list so far:

Cali Wonder Bell
Orange Bell
Sweet Banana
Tennyson's Jalepeno (Extreme Corking)
Cayenne
Holy Mole Pepper
Bishops Crown
 Roost Spur
White Hot Hab
White Bullet Hab
Yellow 7 Pot
Hoyt Saxton's Pumpkin Hab
MOA Jamaican Scotch Bonnet
GROWDOWN Aji Chuncho

These along with various herbs, greens, and tomatos have made their way into the first tray of the season!
12573082855_e943baacc5_c.jpg

Once these pop and I transplant to larger containers, I'll get another tray going of some more stuff. I'm sure there are some new super hots to try yet!

For now its just super charging the compost with as much scrap as I possibly can, while letting the chickens do their thing.
12573523424_b062088598_c.jpg

That entire pile and all the chicken manure in the coop will get amended into the new garden plot on the hill and the mulch will be spread after plant out. This spot will also receive 4 more hours of sunlight than last year's plot.

More pics to come once the first hook emerges.

JJJessee said:
Chickens sure are hard workers in the food chain.

Any particular reason you use rice hulls?
Great question! Yes. A few reasons: Not only does it act as a great soil ameliorant and organic fertilizer, but it also serves at an aerator for a short time as well as providing "roughage", if you will, for a sprouting seedling to help shed its husk on the way out! :)
I figured since I already had some from brewing, why not utilize it?

mx5inpa said:
The chickens and wood chips make me think you have seen Back to Eden.

I try and advocate sustainable cultivation practices and as much permaculture as I can! Anything beats paying for poison! My soil food web thrives because of my creativity and thusly, my plants thrive along side it :)
Portuge said:
Seedling mix looks great Rich, love the step by step photos. Helps out alot for someone just learning or getting into growing peppers...
Thanks dude. Trying some new stuff as always.
Now I just gotta wait for the TROUT to hop into my cooler! The dank tank will be upon us soon!

Ahh, the "dank tank." Tried this last year for the first time based on PG's glog and wow! I've never seen plants just explode in growth the way mine did after using that stuff. Definitely doing it again.

Best of luck in 2014. Will be following along.

JJJessee said:
Oh, also, forgot to ask, is there any particular reason behind using peat and coir instead of just one or the other? Acidity maybe?
Not really. They both tend to reside in the same realm of slightly acidic. Run off from both is between 5.5 and 6.5, with peat being slightly more acidic. The main reason I used both, is because I could! haha! Had some bricks back from when Alpha had given me some, so I just threw it in there. :) I'm glad I did, Really like the consistancy achieved from mixing both!

Datil said:
Your soil mix looks amazing Guru!
Nice compact list also! Few but monster-sized plants sound good to me :)
No Fatalii?

Cya

Datil
This is just the first tray...I'm trying to keep it under control this season. So Im starting small at first. I thought the same thing..."hmmm, no fatalii?" she will likely find her way into the second tray

adamk2212 said:
Ahh, the "dank tank." Tried this last year for the first time based on PG's glog and wow! I've never seen plants just explode in growth the way mine did after using that stuff. Definitely doing it again.

Best of luck in 2014. Will be following along.
Indeed sir! I wouldn't shit you! Hydrolysate FTW

JoeFish said:
PG do you think crappie,bream, or catfish work with the dank tank method?

Of course! Any fish will do! I just use whats local/easily accessed, and for me, that's BROWNS and RAINBOWS!
Spicegeist said:
No Yellow Bhut? :cry:
Just wait... ;)

Back