• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Guru's Garden - Traveling the World in Search of Peppers

Just starting this glog now so it's one less thing to do in a few months when I'm knee deep in compost and getting things in the ground.

Not much to report at the moment. Strains yet to be determined, but I'll probably end up growing too many like always...lol

Only thing that's going on right now is a clean back patio and the chickens doing their part turning over my compost pile on the daily. Intersted in seeing how the soil microbes appreciate the added chicken poop!

12160459874_edc8a4473f_b.jpg

12160725676_2031da1016_b.jpg

Hope everyone has had a decent winter so far and here's to happy germination!

12161422126_10d10e2e41_z.jpg

EDIT UPDATE: This glog has turned into an ongoing overwintering, greenhouse and soil building how-to!

jlacosta said:
Hi Guru, I got a couple of sacks of rice hulls from a miller and was supposedly going to be converted to biochar. Unfortunately, my first attempt got me in trouble with the neighbors so charring them is no go. I'm afraid to use them in my mix as I think they might be carrying pests, excess foliar fertilizer, weeds seeds and whatnot. Any advice on the best way to clean or sterilize them? Do you get yours ready for use? TIA -JL
Sounds like some douche neighbors. Who wouldn't like the smell of roasted rice hulls? A prime example of the pussification of our society. I just rinsed used these as is. If you wanted to you could rinse and then sterilize in the oven a bit, but I don't see the point. Nothing in there is gonna hurt your soil life unless your rice hulls came from some frankenstien gmo roundup monsanto farm :)

Ha.........Yashica rangefinder. I can relate to that...mention the word "Darkroom" around some of the youth nowadays and they might think that refers to the "party room"...heh

Best of luck with the outdoor grow...

Ok I guess I'll just rinse mine as well and probably cover the top with a different mix (one without hulls) just in case weed seeds are present, they'd be easy picking. Thanks, PG!

I remember my Dad's yashica...damn. Bringing back some of my earliest memories. I am going to snag one of these tonight. Any good leads on film? I have an old mamiya of his that I want to start shooting with.

Film is better! I go hybrid and develop my film in the kitchen sink, then it's into the Epson neg scanner. Would love to get a nice vintage enlarger to do big prints. Scanning is cool but it doesn't do the grain just right all the time. Almost need a diffusion glass or something. Scanner is "too" focused so you get some digital aliasing at times. Nothing post can't fix in photoshop! Or like I said, a frosted piece of glass. :)

Pr0digal_son said:
I remember my Dad's yashica...damn. Bringing back some of my earliest memories. I am going to snag one of these tonight. Any good leads on film? I have an old mamiya of his that I want to start shooting with.

Yay...I remember those brands too.... Yashica, Mamiya,..Godzilla......and there were the other allies....Leica and Voightlander............... :lol: 

John was the Mamiya a twin lense reflex or an slr
Pepper-Guru said:
Film is better! I go hybrid and develop my film in the kitchen sink, then it's into the Epson neg scanner. Would love to get a nice vintage enlarger to do big prints. Scanning is cool but it doesn't do the grain just right all the time. Almost need a diffusion glass or something. Scanner is "too" focused so you get some digital aliasing at times. Nothing post can't fix in photoshop! Or like I said, a frosted piece of glass. :)

Dang, I got rid of an Omega D2V a few yrs back. Couldn't sell it so I donated to a girls high school...........which still offered a photography class and had a darkroom.....It's funny, like everything else there's always tons of stuff on ebay.

Got some seedlings popping on the pepper side and things to pot up on the herbs/veggie side today.

Peppers sprouted so far are:

Holy Mole
MOA's
White

12780401034_a3f43f529a_c.jpg

Gonna use the over cast weather for their initiation to some HPS they're about to get downstairs :)

12780191155_00f88ee365_c.jpg

As for the herbs and veggies: Of the ones lanky enough for me to do so, I gently pried them apart, taking care not to tear any roots, and put them in their own hole in some larger containers I had around.

Herbs/Veggies so far:

Cherry tomato
Beef Master
Collards
Thyme

12780393404_c8945ab05d_c.jpg

Looking good Guru. How do Collard Greens compare in flavour to Kale or Cabbage? They are not so widely grown over this side of the Atlantic. I'm presuming they are not too demanding in terms of temperature and sunlight, much like other brassicas.

To me, they actually taste a bit like Kale and cabbage mixed! I find that if I plant them now, they get really big during the summer and I only harvest as many older leaves as I need at any given time. This allows them to continue to grow through the fall, keeping a a mass of new leaf at the end of an ever growing center stalk.
 Here's a video of a late summer harvest a couple years ago:

I like to use collards instead of cabbage in my corned beef sometimes as well!

ronniedeb said:
Looking good Guru. How do Collard Greens compare in flavour to Kale or Cabbage? They are not so widely grown over this side of the Atlantic. I'm presuming they are not too demanding in terms of temperature and sunlight, much like other brassicas.

Hello 'Guru!
Just wanted to ask you about seedlings...
I am gonna do my best to go ALL organic this year, with my Peppers, Vegies and herbs.
I have followed your Grow Logs since I got onto the THP and really like your method and abundance of harvest.
I live in Norhtern Ontario Canada, and it is a short grow season here. So have to start seedlings early and get them to fruiting size just in time to go outside. And into a greenhouse I made from 2 skids I got from the grocery store here.
Anyway, I have hooks and small seedlings coming up and wante to know when/if you started the organic nutrient suppliment to the feed the young'ens!???! Or when it should be done. If you have any info that would better describe how to start and grow seeds to Fruiting plants, I would be very happy to learn. Also, I started a worm box last Autumn and it is thriving very well.
On a side note, the fishing is INSANE up here! Brook, Speckled and a ocean running trout that comes in from Hudson Bay (I am in Moosonee). Then there is the pike, pickerel, sturgoen, whitefish...to name most of them.
Anyway, much appreciated if you could give some advice!
Mark

...tried to PM yah this, but was good that it didn't get through. Since others will benefit from your response I am sure!

allaKAZAAM said:
Hello 'Guru!
Just wanted to ask you about seedlings...
I am gonna do my best to go ALL organic this year, with my Peppers, Vegies and herbs.
I have followed your Grow Logs since I got onto the THP and really like your method and abundance of harvest.
I live in Norhtern Ontario Canada, and it is a short grow season here. So have to start seedlings early and get them to fruiting size just in time to go outside. And into a greenhouse I made from 2 skids I got from the grocery store here.
Anyway, I have hooks and small seedlings coming up and wante to know when/if you started the organic nutrient suppliment to the feed the young'ens!???! Or when it should be done. If you have any info that would better describe how to start and grow seeds to Fruiting plants, I would be very happy to learn. Also, I started a worm box last Autumn and it is thriving very well.
On a side note, the fishing is INSANE up here! Brook, Speckled and a ocean running trout that comes in from Hudson Bay (I am in Moosonee). Then there is the pike, pickerel, sturgoen, whitefish...to name most of them.
Anyway, much appreciated if you could give some advice!
Mark

...tried to PM yah this, but was good that it sisn't get through. Since others will benefit from your response I am sure!
I dont feed them anything really. There may be an aact or worm tea before they go in the ground/permanent container but only if they are growing really fast and I see something in the leaves. Young seedlings don't need anything more than what trace minerals are already in most mediums to begin with. Once they hit the container or ground is where they should start getting the goodies. By this time the plant is ready to take all that in. The permanent soil medium is what you should focus on. I always make mine pretty hot. I even like to let the soil "cook" for a few weeks before transplanting into it. This period allows things to even out and all the microbial life to get a good head start before the roots even touch the new home. I think of my "soil building" just like I treat my compost pile. Honestly, I should just start growing in my compost pile...lol

Sorry I didn't get to this on the day, but ..... HAPPY FIRST DAY OF SPRING!

I started by HAND tilling the 20x25 plot.

13309811593_3fb417aea4_b.jpg

Then I raked oak leaves into the plot and burned it down... :high:

13364527015_7191380c39_c.jpg

Then I harvested the goodies from the chicken coop and applied to each row...

13364672653_597e710770_c.jpg

13364678993_81b8934a8f_c.jpg

13364915434_6ec9a5154b_c.jpg

Then, with the help of a buddy, we applied the compost to each row....

13364555275_1dfa45176a_c.jpg

13364701753_eebd7b4609_c.jpg

Then the mulch (most important part) went on...

13364943824_9a32c18cdf_c.jpg

And finally, the most rewarding brew is drank in indulgent fashion ...

13367787123_2dc09fb8b3_c.jpg

Spring is here... IT HAS BEGUN!

The weather has been good for about two weeks now. I figured I'd take advantage and get the mounds cooking for the next month or so. Im actually hitting the Appalachian Trail again for a while and wanted to get the plot done with before I go. This way, when I get back I can just start planting. I'll get some more pictures of the wee little seedlings in the morning. Collards can be planted now, but peppers and the rest will have to wait until April 20th...

Nice looking spot, looks like a lot of work too! Those are some tall rows dude. I have access to some cow manure close to the house, do you think I should pile it up on my row and put some wood chips from my city in top now? My plant out is about a month away.

JoeFish said:
Nice looking spot, looks like a lot of work too! Those are some tall rows dude. I have access to some cow manure close to the house, do you think I should pile it up on my row and put some wood chips from my city in top now? My plant out is about a month away.
Do it. Give it the month. Watch it steam and give the babies a super awesome hole to call home.

Back