• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Guru's Garden - Traveling the World in Search of Peppers

Just starting this glog now so it's one less thing to do in a few months when I'm knee deep in compost and getting things in the ground.

Not much to report at the moment. Strains yet to be determined, but I'll probably end up growing too many like always...lol

Only thing that's going on right now is a clean back patio and the chickens doing their part turning over my compost pile on the daily. Intersted in seeing how the soil microbes appreciate the added chicken poop!

12160459874_edc8a4473f_b.jpg

12160725676_2031da1016_b.jpg

Hope everyone has had a decent winter so far and here's to happy germination!

12161422126_10d10e2e41_z.jpg

EDIT UPDATE: This glog has turned into an ongoing overwintering, greenhouse and soil building how-to!

Pulpiteer said:
Thanks for the link on composting.
What sorts of essential rock dust do you get and how do you know what you need? 
Well, near me the local quarry has granite dust at around 20$ a ton (bulk straight from the source is always the most sustainable/frugal option), which is a very mineral rich dust. They call it "pond screen" but other quarries will surely call it something else or similar. Essentially all you're doing is adding micro and macro nutrients back into the soil that plants have used up over the course of time. A really great way to ensure optimal uptake from plants is to add rock dust with compost so that the soil food web and microbes can do their job and unlock as much mineral content as possible. 
You can do a basic soil test to see which minerals you need the most and track down specific elements if need be, but the term granite is a broadly used term to describe many types of rock really. Some would say that granite rock dust particles, when used with organic materials actually increase the viability of microorganisms, giving them more places to cling to and further facilitate the natural process of producing carbonic acids, dissolving of minerals and therefore making them even more soluble within the growing medium. Lots of things going on under the surface! 

stc3248 said:
I am thinking those Yellow Bhut seeds are from Spicegeist??? He has the best Bhut seed stock, you'll love those pods.
They sure are! Here are some I grew two years ago :)

9423198049_b2df64b4f9_b.jpg

9464240605_7c01a304e5_b.jpg

Awesome pepper! 

stc3248 said:
I am thinking those Yellow Bhut seeds are from Spicegeist??? He has the best Bhut seed stock, you'll love those pods.

Pepper-Guru said:
Well, near me the local quarry has granite dust at around 20$ a ton (bulk straight from the source is always the most sustainable/frugal option), which is a very mineral rich dust. They call it "pond screen" but other quarries will surely call it something else or similar. Essentially all you're doing is adding micro and macro nutrients back into the soil that plants have used up over the course of time. A really great way to ensure optimal uptake from plants is to add rock dust with compost so that the soil food web and microbes can do their job and unlock as much mineral content as possible. 

They sure are! Here are some I grew two years ago :)

Awesome pepper! 

Thanks guys!  Nice to see you growing this one again :party:

Nice video Guru. Quick question: Do you wash your fabric containers at the end of the season? Mine are kind of green and mossy in places, but don't think that should affect plant growth too much. 

Nice video Guru. Quick question: Do you wash your fabric containers at the end of the season? Mine are kind of green and mossy in places, but don't think that should affect plant growth too much. 
nope. I never wash them. If anything they get sat out in the sun for a few days to air out, that's about it. I'm actually trying to figure out what, if anything, is going into them this year. Maybe I'll mix up some soil and let them cook this summer for overwinters? I dunno.
We actually just cleared a large part of our property behind the greenhouse this past weekend. I'm thinking of doing a wildflower meadow this season with random vegetables scattered throughout. I'm just sitting here now looking at all the new sun and freshly disturbed forest top soil...hmmm

ronniedeb said:
Plants looking great Guru. Looking forward to seeing them planted out.

tsurrie said:
Absolutely beautiful plants. They will get sooo big when you plant them out! I'll await your future posts. Good job man!
Thanks guys! 

Ate a few tester radishes today in Mrs Guru's veggie bed! They were YUMMY - First harvest of the season! 

11136637_430968563739982_2450108007042486876_n.jpg

Hey, PG, had a little time to hop around in your grow log; ya always
gots sumptin' interesting goin' on!  Always a good read, buddy!

:cheers:  for another great grow season, Rich!

Jeff H said:
 I see you are germinating monanos in Feb. Have you done this before because it seems a little late for them
Now, Who was that saying I might not get any Manzanos?  ;)

17265485245_6c18956cb2_b.jpg

Last look at the babies before they go into the garden, to meet all the bugs, sun, wind and rain. 

16643052304_2b940a0bcb_b.jpg

Also, another shot at the legacy that is the Rooster Spur. Had zero germination on the first round, but the pods Virgil sent me this time look MUCH better :)

17265472475_89bcf5dfc5_b.jpg

16643066054_fae34eca48_b.jpg

Nice plot to have the garden in this year look a bit different from last years.  Glad to see you have plants in the ground and the hard work is over.  Do you have an irrigation drippers set up or how are you watering the plants.  The garden looks beautiful all planted out, will be checking back to see more updates my friend.  Did not go back an see your grow list this season but will find out soon enough with pod shots.  Really like the new camera and lens always a pretty picture when I visit.

Back