• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Guru's Garden - Traveling the World in Search of Peppers

Just starting this glog now so it's one less thing to do in a few months when I'm knee deep in compost and getting things in the ground.

Not much to report at the moment. Strains yet to be determined, but I'll probably end up growing too many like always...lol

Only thing that's going on right now is a clean back patio and the chickens doing their part turning over my compost pile on the daily. Intersted in seeing how the soil microbes appreciate the added chicken poop!

12160459874_edc8a4473f_b.jpg

12160725676_2031da1016_b.jpg

Hope everyone has had a decent winter so far and here's to happy germination!

12161422126_10d10e2e41_z.jpg

EDIT UPDATE: This glog has turned into an ongoing overwintering, greenhouse and soil building how-to!

Pepper-Guru said:
Just blended up some Vintage Aged Red Savina from 2006! with fresh Bhut Jolokia to bring back the FIRE  A weird occurance was that some of the vinegar had actually taken the natural pectin from the pepper pod skins over the last 8 years and ended up congealing. Neat! Super thick sugary vinegar is what you get as a base when you wait 8 years!

OMG that's beautiful

millworkman said:
Awesome stuff Rich!
  thanks man! Haven't seen you around in a while! Still lurking these pepper pages huh?!
Comptine said:
Very professional looking video!
 Ha thanks man! I just grabbed a few quick angles on some action in the garden and threw them together in premiere with a little guitar diddy. I really like cheap vintage lenses!  
jedisushi06 said:
OMG that's beautiful
Thank you sir! You should've tasted it! :) Nothing like aged sauce.   
Portuge said:
Feed the soil ya say...
Damn right!

Spicegeist said:
Wow, that's a low germination percentage!  I hope you get some seed from one of those, maybe they'll be easier to start next year...
Those seeds will break a man's spirit, I tell ya. Honestly though, it's been a good experience. Reminded me of my beginnings trying to germinate rare Chinense varieties. Sometimes we all need to go back to where it all started :) 

Pepper-Guru said:
Those seeds will break a man's spirit, I tell ya. Honestly though, it's been a good experience. Reminded me of my beginnings trying to germinate rare Chinense varieties. Sometimes we all need to go back to where it all started :) 
Some varieties are like that ... My birdseye HTM variety is very hit and miss. It's an annuum and is sporadic at best even with seeds from the same pod. I do however find more often then not with that particular variety they may germinate weeks apart from one another.
Just out of interest Guru how do you store your seeds?

Trippa said:
Some varieties are like that ... My birdseye HTM variety is very hit and miss. It's an annuum and is sporadic at best even with seeds from the same pod. I do however find more often then not with that particular variety they may germinate weeks apart from one another.
Just out of interest Guru how do you store your seeds?
That is weird about the different germ times, from even the same pod. I usually keep my seeds in paper envelopes or plastic baggies. How about you? I may look into vacuum sealing and freezing. Will take some experimenting. I know I don't have any issues with volunteer seeds sprouting throughout the garden and compost pile, even after a long cold winter. 

Back