• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Guru's Garden - Traveling the World in Search of Peppers

Just starting this glog now so it's one less thing to do in a few months when I'm knee deep in compost and getting things in the ground.

Not much to report at the moment. Strains yet to be determined, but I'll probably end up growing too many like always...lol

Only thing that's going on right now is a clean back patio and the chickens doing their part turning over my compost pile on the daily. Intersted in seeing how the soil microbes appreciate the added chicken poop!

12160459874_edc8a4473f_b.jpg

12160725676_2031da1016_b.jpg

Hope everyone has had a decent winter so far and here's to happy germination!

12161422126_10d10e2e41_z.jpg

EDIT UPDATE: This glog has turned into an ongoing overwintering, greenhouse and soil building how-to!

Looking great again Rich .... As always the flight is a plethora of great info for growers everywhere. Best of luck for plant out and the season ahead

Trippa said:
Looking great again Rich .... As always the flight is a plethora of great info for growers everywhere. Best of luck for plant out and the season ahead
Auto correct phenomenon ... Flight = Glog.. can't seem to repeat it but there you go :D

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Nice plot to have the garden in this year look a bit different from last years.  Glad to see you have plants in the ground and the hard work is over.  Do you have an irrigation drippers set up or how are you watering the plants.  The garden looks beautiful all planted out, will be checking back to see more updates my friend.  Did not go back an see your grow list this season but will find out soon enough with pod shots.  Really like the new camera and lens always a pretty picture when I visit.
Yep! Drip system gets laid in a few days and the final step is a fresh layer of mulch :) still have some plants left over that wouldn't fit into the plot at 2ft spacings, so still trying to figure out what to do with them at the moment. Thanks for stopping by! You ever check that brain strain video out that I made?   
Trippa said:
 thanks trippa! This season should be much better as Its the second year in this plot. All the goodies put in last year have been doing their thing and the goodies this year were put in super early so the plot is pretty soft and full of microbial and fungal activity!  
chocolatescotchbonnet said:
thanks for letting me know ants are one of my enemies! 8)
 haha! Yeah they are a pain!  
Jeff H said:
You're off to a great start Rich.

Post hole digger. Hmmm. Why didn't I think of that. :doh:
I wanted the same planting hole for each seedling so, two light scoops and a handful of worm castings in each. Every plant was perking straight up within hours of transplanting :)  
JoynersHotPeppers said:
Everything looks awesome Rich, you might have been lucky not getting the Rooster Spurs going...omg they are a PIA to harvest :) Awesome looking garden, plot and plants!
  my rooster Spurs are extremely prolific! I love them! Time will tell on Virgil's strain, but these last ones he sent look a lot like my "sloth nails" hahah
Roguejim said:
Rich, are you brewing your fish fert this season?
you know it! Gotta look in the freezer and see if I need to take a trip to the trout streams soon!

Plants seem to be responding nicely to being transplanted in the plot. All of them are podding up and I imagine I'll begin seeing those trunks start to bulk up in a few days. That's when you know its roots are reaching far and wide to build a supporting base for all the branching and fruit to come :) Things are just starting to warm now. First varieties to pod up so far are:

- Yellow Jalapenos  - 

17198347637_1fcea88119_b.jpg

- Yellow Bedders -

16785494183_b6143bdd9f_b.jpg

and some Florida Wilds. 

Love these Manzanos and Rocotos! 

17218212690_84d73811ef_b.jpg

Drip system is laid. I've been dealing with a cold the past few days, but I still intend to get a load of mulch applied by tomorrow. After that its just letting mother nature take its course and my daily checkups :) 

Plants are looking good.

Here is an update on the Extreme corking mystery plant. I ended up putting 4 of them in the ground. I have seen a flower on one of them already. Hopefully fruit soon so we can see what it is.

20150506_174116.jpg

Jeff H said:
Plants are looking good.

Here is an update on the Extreme corking mystery plant. I ended up putting 4 of them in the ground. I have seen a flower on one of them already. Hopefully fruit soon so we can see what it is.

20150506_174116.jpg
what color are the flowers?!

Plants are looking happy Rich ... So as in previous years once the fish hydrolysate and mulch goes down ... That's it for ammendments for the season Is that correct? or do you give them foliar sprays like seaweed to boost them?

Trippa said:
Plants are looking happy Rich ... So as in previous years once the fish hydrolysate and mulch goes down ... That's it for ammendments for the season Is that correct? or do you give them foliar sprays like seaweed to boost them?
Depends on what the plants and soil is telling me. I usually wait till around mid summer to soil drench with the hydrolysate (if need be). Sometimes, if I'm noticing pests or any small signs of disease, I'll brew random AACT's just for insurance. BUT, yes, I don't "fertilize" as a regiment. If the soil is right, there's no need :) 

Jeff H said:

Look to be purple but none have opened yet. Just buds. I'll photograph them when I see them opening.
That is sooo weird man, my apologies. Shoot me a pm and your address again and I'll make sure you get the right stuff. Either way, enjoy the mystery plants! I'm sure they will be great! 

Found some humus GOLD today in one of my honey holes. 

17253427729_aea3232e59_b.jpg

17252101960_96cfec92d4_b.jpg

17251935218_20b36d3ced_b.jpg

Pepper-Guru said:

That is sooo weird man, my apologies. Shoot me a pm and your address again and I'll make sure you get the right stuff. Either way, enjoy the mystery plants! I'm sure they will be great! 

Oh hell no. This is fun and interesting, and truth be told, a dozen jalapenoes is all I need this year.

I swear, everything about them screams a pube of some sort, but for the life of me, I am darn sure the seeds weren't black.

We'll find out together. :D

Pics coming soon once they flower.

That's why I'm like... :crazy: ???!!! hahaha

Jeff H said:

Oh hell no. This is fun and interesting, and truth be told, a dozen jalapenoes is all I need this year.

I swear, everything about them screams a pube of some sort, but for the life of me, I am darn sure the seeds weren't black.

We'll find out together. :D

Pics coming soon once they flower.
Wait...those are praetermissum. I'd bet on it. 

Back