• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Guru's Garden - Traveling the World in Search of Peppers

Just starting this glog now so it's one less thing to do in a few months when I'm knee deep in compost and getting things in the ground.

Not much to report at the moment. Strains yet to be determined, but I'll probably end up growing too many like always...lol

Only thing that's going on right now is a clean back patio and the chickens doing their part turning over my compost pile on the daily. Intersted in seeing how the soil microbes appreciate the added chicken poop!

12160459874_edc8a4473f_b.jpg

12160725676_2031da1016_b.jpg

Hope everyone has had a decent winter so far and here's to happy germination!

12161422126_10d10e2e41_z.jpg

EDIT UPDATE: This glog has turned into an ongoing overwintering, greenhouse and soil building how-to!

Just realized I never shared my last youtube upload with you guys! I also just got done editing the seed starting video for this season, so....this will be a double whammy for you guys! 

Part 2 of my "Experiments in Hybridizing - Cumari Pollux x Rooster Spur"

and then the latest upload

"Germination Indoctrination" 

https://youtu.be/-EFQKIutwt4

Datil said:
INCREDIBLE grow and beautiful photography as always Rich!
Orange Thai and Cappuccino Tepin are two of my favs but i've never seen them growing that large!

All the best

F

They are a pain to pick but man, soo worth it. Thanks dude! Kind regards to you and the family. 

PaulG said:
Kudos for a superb season, Rich  :party:

Thanks Paul! It's almost coming to an end. Got another month of good isolated pod growth yet! Then wrap it all up and think about moving by next summer. May not have a grow next year. 

stettoman said:
Egad, to be the guy who pumps your septic!

You gotta market that grow smegma you make. I'm gonna studdy that vid overandoverandoverandoverandoverandoverand...

...til I get Guru Standard results!

Buahahahahahah "Ever find yourself with nothing to do?! Boredom got ya down?  Try making your own stink juice out of waste products to feed your plants! For a one time low low price of 79.99 our experts can guide you on how to never be bored again!" 

dragonsfire said:
Very Nice!

Thanks! Check this one out! 

Jack Patton Rooster Spur - all time favorite sandwich pepper. Been growing this one personally since 2000. 

48823895373_f6fe5fa4ed_b.jpg

48823895293_131a928ec9_b.jpg

48824260111_1522fa056e_b.jpg

Continuing on with the different "Rooster Spur" varietals, this one is Virgil T Ainsworth's family farm Rooster Spur. A lot of history in this one too. 

President Jimmy Carter being rumored to have had them sneaked into the white house by secret service so he could make his famous "Rooster Sausage" 

I met Virgil via facebook many years ago and have stayed in touch with him. He was kind enough to share them with me many years ago. 

Wonderful frutescens juice burst, similar to a miniature Tabasco with a special superiority in flavor. Very Prolific. Dries perfectly. 

48826810761_6c71921a88_b.jpg

48826434903_7e5d596c2a_b.jpg

48826810621_34929f8b4e_b.jpg

PaulG said:
That's hysterical, Rich  :rofl:

Mr.joe said:
What are we signing up for?

Nevermind a closer view of your post I now understand...

Just calling out all the lurkers! haha. 

Here are some more yummy pods for them to lurk all up on top of. 

CGN 23255

Who doesn't like a clustering chinense? 

48833151761_f8a44b587c_b.jpg

48833151646_91dac760e7_b.jpg

48833151576_a008e8ec4e_b.jpg

48832781953_5b0a96a61c_b.jpg

reposting this here for historical accuracy and to avoid censorship or deletion:

jedisushi06 said:
5ed18326431a524e4e895e0a23007c73.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.joe said:
Good looking pods, some of the nicer seed packaging I've seen.

Just remember, no need to grow Pickle's "Aji Chombo" as you already have it in the Aji Panameno (Jimmy Johnson got from me in an OP box) that I field collected in Costa Rica with my wife. Renaming peppers deliberately and intentionally hiding the history and facts of field collections made in other countries simply because you don't like the field collector is a garbage move. Just my opinion though, I could be way off base. It could be perfectly acceptable to some consumers/growers. What do I know?

Here's the video where he renames it, gives Jimmy Johnson the credit for finding it (desperately avoiding my name) and then in the comments they both attempt to justify it's renaming. I commented on each comment to clarify but I'm sure Pickles hid them. Just as I'm sure some of the "guests" reading this topic right now are screen shooting this, sending to Pickles and then he will attempt damage control and censorship by trying to get this post deleted somehow.  

https://youtu.be/t2dHxtk5Yis

Do you see those seeds in that picture?  Not sure why you are dragging me into this.  Be a big boy and take it up with pickles and johnson.  Don't drag me into this because i don't give two shits.  

Rich why don't you tell the truth and let people know that you SOLD me a box of fresh pods claiming your were a legit pepper company? Turns out you used your landscaping company as a front, pretty shady dude!
And honestly I could care less what you call your pepper that you got from a chef in Costa Rica. Pickles gave me credit because I supplied him with seeds, you didn't. And I bought your pods so I own them and can do
whatever I want with them. Your such a little whiner all you do is attempt to twist the truth in every way possible. I guess some people did research and decided that your name was incorrect and that Aji chombo was the
proper name, however, that had nothing to do with me. I'm a seed collector and I paid $22 for your lame half dried up box of pods, The only pepper even worth sharing was the Costa Rican Habanero and let's face it bro,
it's a common pepper. Like you're not the only person in the world that grows it or has seeds and I have seeds from many other growers so get off your high horse. You talk crap about people all over the internet and then
want to play victim that you have been thrown off almost every chili group on Facebook, but of coarse it's everyone else's fault not yours right? And seriously stop telling people that your wife broke her leg falling down the
side of a volcano trying to collect wild peppers because we all know that the fact she may have sprained her ankle, if that even really happened, has absolutely nothing to do with you acquiring a few seeds from a chef at
a restaurant. Your seeds were gathered via a culinary medium and you did not go out into the wild and find Aji chombo pods so stop your BS and trying to make the story into a fishing tale.  

Rich why don't you tell the truth and let people know that you SOLD me a box of fresh pods claiming your were a legit pepper company? Turns out you used your landscaping company as a front, pretty shady dude!
And honestly I could care less what you call your pepper that you got from a chef in Costa Rica. Pickles gave me credit because I supplied him with seeds, you didn't. And I bought your pods so I own them and can do
whatever I want with them. Your such a little whiner all you do is attempt to twist the truth in every way possible. I guess some people did research and decided that your name was incorrect and that Aji chombo was the
proper name, however, that had nothing to do with me. I'm a seed collector and I paid $22 for your lame half dried up box of pods, The only pepper even worth sharing was the Costa Rican Habanero and let's face it bro,
it's a common pepper. Like you're not the only person in the world that grows it or has seeds and I have seeds from many other growers so get off your high horse. You talk crap about people all over the internet and then
want to play victim that you have been thrown off almost every chili group on Facebook, but of coarse it's everyone else's fault not yours right? And seriously stop telling people that your wife broke her leg falling down the
side of a volcano trying to collect wild peppers because we all know that the fact she may have sprained her ankle, if that even really happened, has absolutely nothing to do with you acquiring a few seeds from a chef at
a restaurant. Your seeds were gathered via a culinary medium and you did not go out into the wild and find Aji chombo pods so stop your BS and trying to make the story into a fishing tale.  

jedisushi06 said:
Do you see those seeds in that picture?  Not sure why you are dragging me into this.  Be a big boy and take it up with pickles and johnson.  Don't drag me into this because i don't give two shits.  

You're right. I apologize for bringing this up in your glog. 

Plecodude said:

Plecodude said:

Jimmy, its not a secret I sold SFRB's for the first time in my life last year, there is a thread on that right here: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/69948-october-sfrb-22-dolla-make-ya-holla/#entry1587456

As well as a youtube video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oKVj-IDpYc

You contacted me wanting a box and then Pickles lied in his group about ordering from me before. Want me to post the screen shots of that, or you apologizing to me for him lying about it?

Not sure what my landscape company has to do with your incoherent ramblings. Did that thread or that youtube video claim that my landscape was selling them? Can you read? I'm pretty sure the logo says Pepper Guru. I could be wrong though, all those late nights editing video really does a number to a man's brain! 

And honestly I could care less what you call your pepper that you got from a chef in Costa Rica.

And there we have it. You don't care. You're the problem. 

Pickles gave me credit because I supplied him with seeds, you didn't. And I bought your pods so I own them and can do
whatever I want with them. Your such a little whiner all you do is attempt to twist the truth in every way possible.

Dude...my shit is so transparent I literally post every thing I ever do regarding peppers or any of my hobbies. You're a turd. I twist nothing. I speak the truth and that's what you and pickles don't like. 

I guess some people did research and decided that your name was incorrect and that Aji chombo was the
it's a common pepper. Like you're not the only person in the world that grows it or has seeds and I have seeds from many other growers so get off your high horse. 

There it is again. Renamming a pepper isn't cool. Ever. It doesn't matter if Jimmy Johnson or Jimmy Pickles are of the opinion that a pepper field collected in Costa Rica should be called something other than what the locals call it. That is unethical in every way. If you're a seed collector, you should be ashamed. I've FOUND and PICKED BOTH Aji Panameno in Costa Rica (two locations) and Aji Chombo (red and yellow) in Panama. There is a reason I didn't label them both the same thing when they went into my collection. They are different. 

You talk crap about people all over the internet and then
want to play victim that you have been thrown off almost every chili group on Facebook, but of coarse it's everyone else's fault not yours right?

I've been here at this forum for 15 years now, I've never once had a cross word about anyone. Any group that has "thrown me off of facebook" are groups influenced by the likes of you and pickles. I don't need to be there anyway. Those groups are trash. If I'm still in a group on facebook, its because I will never go anywhere. Those groups that still have me know the deal.

And seriously stop telling people that your wife broke her leg falling down the

You don't know me. You acted like you wanted to be my friend on facebook but you're really just a lowly seed sniper for pickles. That's cool everyone has their hustle. 

My wife broke both her tibia and fibula clean during a skating accident June 8th 2017, and underwent ORIF surgery. While still in a cast come our Anniversary In September, I opted to take her back to one of my favorite places in central america. Costa Rica. I never once claimed she broke her leg hunting the Aji Panameno. Her leg was broken, we hunted peppers like we always do. We often do hikes through MANY villages and farms, and as curious as I am, she often finds herself following me into someones garden to ask all the questions I can, while filming and taking stills.  I documented our finds here in this thread when they occurred. Nice try. Again...you've got to do better than this to make me look bad. I post my life here. It's all time stamped, logged, documented and is there for public viewing. 

Sorry to see your trouble here Rich...
Ive got nothing but respect and appreciation for your efforts traveling abroad and sharing your finds with an honest community of enthusiasts.

Too bad about the bums out there.

I really started turning down the volume on all the pepper hype with the scoville battles and gnarly F3 Hybrids people are selling.
Too bad people are ripping off landrace varieties to make $3 on a pack of seeds.

Thanks for your travels and sharing your finds with us!
Im always excited to see your finds of (new to us) landrace varieties to be used in authentic cuisine

PS Facebook sucks and im glad googles groups got shut down too. Im not a fan of seeing khang make a new hybrid every 3 months

Back