• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Guru's Garden - Traveling the World in Search of Peppers

Just starting this glog now so it's one less thing to do in a few months when I'm knee deep in compost and getting things in the ground.

Not much to report at the moment. Strains yet to be determined, but I'll probably end up growing too many like always...lol

Only thing that's going on right now is a clean back patio and the chickens doing their part turning over my compost pile on the daily. Intersted in seeing how the soil microbes appreciate the added chicken poop!

12160459874_edc8a4473f_b.jpg

12160725676_2031da1016_b.jpg

Hope everyone has had a decent winter so far and here's to happy germination!

12161422126_10d10e2e41_z.jpg

EDIT UPDATE: This glog has turned into an ongoing overwintering, greenhouse and soil building how-to!

Damn, i knew i started my peppers way to soon this year. they struggle in their plastic pots, but still 3 weeks to go until plant out..
really great video, i learned a lot watching.
In your video you mention, humus compost, what are you referring to?

Damn, i knew i started my peppers way to soon this year. they struggle in their plastic pots, but still 3 weeks to go until plant out..
really great video, i learned a lot watching.
In your video you mention, humus compost, what are you referring to?
Thanks for watching. Compost high in humic acid. Smells like earth. Smells like going into the forest and raking back the leaves under the biggest tree and smelling that top layer of black gold.

That is a bug we don't see in our area.
Perhaps there are other assassin bugs
that are endemic here, but I don't know.

Assassin bugs are good to have in the garden, but be careful with them. They have no qualms with biting YOU, and it's said to be very painful. Still, a good bug to have around.

Finally! An open flower on what I collected as "Aji Peruano" from the Rodriguez Market in La Paz, Bolivia.

My best guess is this is a line of "Aji Panca"?

The plant has been a bit difficult to grow to maturity over the last three years. The flowers on past plants have always been very small when forming at the internodes, almost micro sized, then they turn black and fall off. Later in the season, most of the plant would develop some unknown pathogen, drop leaves and terminate. This year is the first year I've chosen a plant, and been able to bring it to flower. This is as far as I've gotten with this line, whatever it is.

Do we believe Aji Panca to be a C. chinense dominant interspecific hybrid? There are just so many traits on this plant that scream interspecific. Does Aji Panca generally have this much purple in the stems and internodes?

52207928173_ce0984c24d_b.jpg

52208403210_4070c4b33a_b.jpg

52206899187_96f73cd1a2_b.jpg

Back