• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Guru's Glog 2012

Is it that time again already? Feels like yesterday I was picking final harvests, disonnecting drip lines out in the garden and digging up pepper plants for the winter. Where does the time go?

Anyhow, I see people are already in full swing here on THP. What a lovely site. I'll be the first to admit, I'm running a little late this year, but I have an excuse I'm prepared to live with....

7114685757_d5b074d6e4_c.jpg

7114685603_0acb6dcd4c_z.jpg

6968607380_a4a7756a49_z.jpg

7114686617_7b5269c7f7_c.jpg

:P I needed a vacation! Well that, and a good friend of mine asked if I wanted to open up a restaurant in Thailand. Who says no to that? Not I.

We had a great time. Its paradise, and very cheap. Above all, as a chili head, Thai food is a gift from God himself. I ate better and fresher food than you could ever get in the US, for pennies a meal. The trip was awesome. I think Im even suffering from seperation anxiety...lol I couldn't even begin to go into all the things that happened on this trip, without this starting to sound like more of a blog than a GLOG, so I'll spare you guys for now.

Anyway, down to business. Before I left, I started a 72 cell super hot tray and pulled the mothers from last year outside.

7000565561_e6ea3f306c.jpg

6853788736_d8471419a5.jpg

6953290335_44f7660374.jpg

The lady bugs went to work on the mothers, and I felt confident that Mrs. Guru could take care of the germination while I was away.

6854454322_62e0e740d0.jpg

Now, I'd be lying if I said I never worried for a second while I was away. I had already started my seeds a week or two later than usual and now I was going to be gone while they were supposed to be "born"....lol but I knew the better option for my sanity was to let go, remember I was on vacation and not think about the seeds. Im glad I did, because the ole lady did ok! :P

I got back, germ rates were near 100% and it was on to potting up!

7114682885_8d4046f56a.jpg

Quick make shift shade house for the tender seedlings after a transplant and a break in the clouds.

6968607084_b90b8da498.jpg

I've never tried to make hot sauce before, so I'm curious, after that length of time does the heat dissipate at all?

I'd really like to try and make some this year, but I'm not a fan of vinegar, so I'm looking for a recipe that doesn't call for much or any.
the heat ill mellow over time as you age, but depending on what peppers you use it will still be damn hot! i dont mind vinegar, especially good quality vinegar. honestly, you should try and make your own! you may discover that you enjoy a well made vinegar! i figured the rice vinegar was fitting due to where the pepper came from. Im all about pairing tastesfrom similar regions. Just got done dropping a few gallons off to a couple pizzawings joints intown. They loved it! Just waiting for the bathroomvisitlateron today....lol! You guys are hilarious!

Kept seeing these piles next to a bamboo patch, pulled up with the kids and piled outta the truck like we were family....lol Asked how the people were doing, and got permission to take it all! I will be returning quite often throughout the season.
7516281580_8225a3356e_b.jpg

Now what you need to do is put that little blonde figurine next to it to make it look bigger. Like you do with your fatalii seedling. Hahaheehee Good score!

Yep here's that bathroom visit I was talking about...someone get me a cold towel and a tissue, would ya? I've been eating this stuff for a day straight and I don't plan on stopping till its gone...lol

HaHa.............and you know what ,......some folks may say,"That'll be the last dam time that I'll eat that much Hot serse" ..............., like any other addiction.......people just keep on coming back to it.....................rock-on!

Wow....my head hurts....it's been 1.5 hours....holy crap. So much information....I think I went into a coma but my eyes were still open and reading so I figured it was just sensory overload. You have got it....hands down you have. There was so much to take in (my brain sucks for taking in knowledge, it's like a bucket with a hole in it, you fill it up and come back a day or two later and it's 75% empty!) I am going to start doing teas. I don't know if I will get away with the fish ferment. I would LOVE to....but I will put that one on the side for when the time comes. I also am going to get to that 1.5 hour video you have posted. I really am scared to watch shit like that...lol but I need to know. Open my eyes some more to ways I might be contributing. Your plants are by far the best I have seen yet....it's the glog I've been waiting to come across. (Thank you Mr. Squatch for asking PG to stop by my log and take a look) I've been looking into organics and reading some articles on the benefits of it and how using chemical fertilizers depletes the soil of beneficial bacteria. Like you said it's a soil food web. We feed the soil and the soil feeds the plants. They have a relationship that needs to be nurtured not bypassed. This is a must follow from now on!

Your fatalii is beyond wickedly awesome. You saying your fatalii is the hottest pepper you've had....man I need on of those peppers! lol. I wish I could partake in your "other" gardening ventures. One day I will be indeed doing just that.

Superb grow log. Thank you so much for taking the time to update and answer everyone's questions. It is truly giving at it's finest....I know how long it takes to keep up with these glogs and you've got 1000% more traffic and questions galore! So I greatly appreciate it. The world needs more people like you bro. I'm going to PM you, I have a few questions if you don't mind. I will try and be straight forward and concise. :cool:

What "hardwood" would you suggest for mulching? I used some peat last year and while it did keep the weeds down, it is impossible to water through. On my ride to work there is a spot about 2 acre in size that has mounds of chipped wood everywhere. It may be from the city,not really sure. More important than my first question, what woods should we stay away from? Thanks for any info.

I guess there aren't any woods you should stay away from really. The only thing that might want to be avoided is using mulch thats too "green". It will leech acid into your soil sometimes that will throw your ph off and make your head spin trying to figure out why all of a sudden your plants are locked out and keeling over...lol Aside from that, oak is the mother of all mulch "in my humble opinion", but it still doesn't compare to a MIX of different woods. This mix i have is really neat, its mostly oak and pine with pine straw already in there! Whooooo Hoooooo! First shovel head into this stuff let out the best smelling aroma in the world, and everything under the surface was EATEN UP with Mycelium! :party:

Harvest from this morning :)

7520336212_4fdc527128_c.jpg

Back