• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Guru's Glog 2012

Is it that time again already? Feels like yesterday I was picking final harvests, disonnecting drip lines out in the garden and digging up pepper plants for the winter. Where does the time go?

Anyhow, I see people are already in full swing here on THP. What a lovely site. I'll be the first to admit, I'm running a little late this year, but I have an excuse I'm prepared to live with....

7114685757_d5b074d6e4_c.jpg

7114685603_0acb6dcd4c_z.jpg

6968607380_a4a7756a49_z.jpg

7114686617_7b5269c7f7_c.jpg

:P I needed a vacation! Well that, and a good friend of mine asked if I wanted to open up a restaurant in Thailand. Who says no to that? Not I.

We had a great time. Its paradise, and very cheap. Above all, as a chili head, Thai food is a gift from God himself. I ate better and fresher food than you could ever get in the US, for pennies a meal. The trip was awesome. I think Im even suffering from seperation anxiety...lol I couldn't even begin to go into all the things that happened on this trip, without this starting to sound like more of a blog than a GLOG, so I'll spare you guys for now.

Anyway, down to business. Before I left, I started a 72 cell super hot tray and pulled the mothers from last year outside.

7000565561_e6ea3f306c.jpg

6853788736_d8471419a5.jpg

6953290335_44f7660374.jpg

The lady bugs went to work on the mothers, and I felt confident that Mrs. Guru could take care of the germination while I was away.

6854454322_62e0e740d0.jpg

Now, I'd be lying if I said I never worried for a second while I was away. I had already started my seeds a week or two later than usual and now I was going to be gone while they were supposed to be "born"....lol but I knew the better option for my sanity was to let go, remember I was on vacation and not think about the seeds. Im glad I did, because the ole lady did ok! :P

I got back, germ rates were near 100% and it was on to potting up!

7114682885_8d4046f56a.jpg

Quick make shift shade house for the tender seedlings after a transplant and a break in the clouds.

6968607084_b90b8da498.jpg

I guess we're doing pretty good with the mix I get from our city landfill, their mulch is everything from ground up xmas trees, to limbs from commercial tree trimmers, to everyone's yard waste, so I knows it's mixed up a LOT. They also offer compost, but I only use a little of theirs because it looks kind of "charred", definitely prefer my own compost.

I guess there aren't any woods you should stay away from really. The only thing that might want to be avoided is using mulch thats too "green". It will leech acid into your soil sometimes that will throw your ph off and make your head spin trying to figure out why all of a sudden your plants are locked out and keeling over...lol Aside from that, oak is the mother of all mulch "in my humble opinion", but it still doesn't compare to a MIX of different woods. This mix i have is really neat, its mostly oak and pine with pine straw already in there! Whooooo Hoooooo! First shovel head into this stuff let out the best smelling aroma in the world, and everything under the surface was EATEN UP with Mycelium! :party:

Enjoyed reading your glog. I need to make some of that stinky stuff. If not this year,
for sure next year.......Will be watching how you overwinter your plants. I have a few
I will be overwintering myself.

Linda

Sounds good cndiji!

Here's a small harvest from today :)
7536984342_f636331e93.jpg

Seriously, small yield? that's like 1/2 the table their sitting on, i wonder how much the "big yield" would be? oh the okra, is that ground okra? how tall can that thing grow? i have a container okra at 70-80 cm height with 4 pods i wonder if that a healthy one.

Yep, these okra plants are in ground. I let these pods get a little too big, but most of them are still very tender. Next flush I will only let get half this size before picking. You can go back a couple pages to see the okra row. I got the whole table canned last night and the peppers are halved up and ready for dehydrating, smoking, and sun drying! :)
7543221162_4790f2e2c3.jpg

PG dusting his pimp shoulders off....haha, that's a sweet harvest. I had one experience with okra. My mom bought it once when I was a kid (it was sliced into wheels in a can.) it was literally slimy like a booger....I ran from it and have never looked back!

Yum smoked peppers. Delicious. Nice job PG!

ME love sauce Mmm ...

Here's Mrs Bhut Jolokia in her 15 gallon air pruning container.

7551550944_349a7f2950.jpg

Can't wait for these. I got such a late start this year, but now some pods are coming in. That makes me very happy :)

7551544990_3645135168.jpg

Oh yeah, and the brain...

Should I be scared? I feel her breathing down my neck at night just as I doze off to sleep...

7551539330_d75a8421e1.jpg

7551540138_623d24d2f6.jpg

Im am scared for you... how big is that BS pod? golf ball or bigger?

That Bhut is... Girthy.?.?.? is that the word im looking for lol.

Back