• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Guru's Glog 2012

Is it that time again already? Feels like yesterday I was picking final harvests, disonnecting drip lines out in the garden and digging up pepper plants for the winter. Where does the time go?

Anyhow, I see people are already in full swing here on THP. What a lovely site. I'll be the first to admit, I'm running a little late this year, but I have an excuse I'm prepared to live with....

7114685757_d5b074d6e4_c.jpg

7114685603_0acb6dcd4c_z.jpg

6968607380_a4a7756a49_z.jpg

7114686617_7b5269c7f7_c.jpg

:P I needed a vacation! Well that, and a good friend of mine asked if I wanted to open up a restaurant in Thailand. Who says no to that? Not I.

We had a great time. Its paradise, and very cheap. Above all, as a chili head, Thai food is a gift from God himself. I ate better and fresher food than you could ever get in the US, for pennies a meal. The trip was awesome. I think Im even suffering from seperation anxiety...lol I couldn't even begin to go into all the things that happened on this trip, without this starting to sound like more of a blog than a GLOG, so I'll spare you guys for now.

Anyway, down to business. Before I left, I started a 72 cell super hot tray and pulled the mothers from last year outside.

7000565561_e6ea3f306c.jpg

6853788736_d8471419a5.jpg

6953290335_44f7660374.jpg

The lady bugs went to work on the mothers, and I felt confident that Mrs. Guru could take care of the germination while I was away.

6854454322_62e0e740d0.jpg

Now, I'd be lying if I said I never worried for a second while I was away. I had already started my seeds a week or two later than usual and now I was going to be gone while they were supposed to be "born"....lol but I knew the better option for my sanity was to let go, remember I was on vacation and not think about the seeds. Im glad I did, because the ole lady did ok! :P

I got back, germ rates were near 100% and it was on to potting up!

7114682885_8d4046f56a.jpg

Quick make shift shade house for the tender seedlings after a transplant and a break in the clouds.

6968607084_b90b8da498.jpg

Wow... was that one of them fancy trick perspective shots like they use in movies to make things look bigger? Photoshop? 3 months old, are you kidding me? Amazing.

mmmM bhut jolokia peach daiquiri
7523562938_ebdcff8fdc.jpg

OUCH!!... oooooooo!!! OHHHHHHH! UGHHH! BUT PRETTY! :drunk: :crazy: :mouthonfire:

That Brain does look scary...She's gonna put a hurt on you if you eat her outright...ummmmm never mind.
I always eat her out right...i mean outright! Lol! Chris, canning is a familiar stranger for me. I dabble in the past, but am making it a point to do as much as possible this year. I need to pick again already!

Oh Chris, my apologies for not showing up Sunday night, rehearsal went on forever and it was far too late. I'll make it up dude.

I love this fkin Glog!!! :cool: :halo:

Ughhhh...I left and my first few Brains were ripening. I've eaten a few small pods from Jamie, but some of the ones on my plant are about as big as the one you just popped. I'm gonna do it, but watching your video isn't helping push me that direction! Great job man...even careful stomach prep isn't enough for some of these peppers. I ate a Barrackpore that had me curled up in the fetal position crying for my mommy...thanks again to Jamie for that one. Think maybe I will be taking most of my Brains to work and putting them in a nice bowl in the middle of the break room with a "Warning these are hot!" sign on it and hiding a camera.

The Barrackpore had me the same way as STC and u PG. I thought I had died went to pepper stomach hell then arrived at heaven.. FYI . It was my first time eating a pepper raw. I had to keep face in front of the kids at first, but the pepper said, "Fk you!" I'm taking you down. My youngest (14) was like, " You shouldn't have done that Ma." So much for daughterly love! I told her to fk off and went back to writhing in pain. You did good PG. Pain and all. Steeler Jersey goes "woot woot" to you!! (fingers pick up the S and the S and fans around hubby with the Steelers word between fingers saying Woot woot)

Rich...out of curiosity...with your six year old Fatalii plant, what year did it produce the most pods ? or, does it just pump out masses of pods each year? Do you know an approximate weight of pods each year it produces?

OUCH!!... oooooooo!!! OHHHHHHH! UGHHH! BUT PRETTY! :drunk: :crazy: :mouthonfire:

I love this fkin Glog!!! :cool: :halo:

The Barrackpore had me the same way as STC and u PG. I thought I had died went to pepper stomach hell then arrived at heaven.. FYI . It was my first time eating a pepper raw. I had to keep face in front of the kids at first, but the pepper said, "Fk you!" I'm taking you down. My youngest (14) was like, " You shouldn't have done that Ma." So much for daughterly love! I told her to fk off and went back to writhing in pain. You did good PG. Pain and all. Steeler Jersey goes "woot woot" to you!! (fingers pick up the S and the S and fans around hubby with the Steelers word between fingers saying Woot woot)
LOL! Glad you like the glog :) Thanks for the support! Keep showing them kids how its done! Are they venturing into spicy foods yet?
Rich...out of curiosity...with your six year old Fatalii plant, what year did it produce the most pods ? or, does it just pump out masses of pods each year? Do you know an approximate weight of pods each year it produces?
AJ, the fatalii is on her 7th year. It pumps out loads every year but it got the biggest last year on year 6. I messed up and made a LAZY ASS decision this year and left most of the spent soil in the container without redoing it this year. So...the roots have run into something they don't like at all and I've got some stunting going on along with distorted new growth in some tops. She is still pumping out a few pounds every week so I'm letting her ride this season out. Usually I get 5 pounds of peppers every 2 weeks off a plant this size. The brain has enough mass and is loaded down with flowers so in a month or so I expect her to do the same. Important thing to note: not only is production reliant on soil and container size/type but I've also learned that pruning practices at the end of the year will SEVERELY effect plant structure and output the following year. Prune incorrectly when bringing in to overwinter, and bam...you get a lax following year. Symmetry is the key :)

Not to mention, I had a frost free gardenia in its hole for the winter, taking cuttings off of it, so there's no telling what that plant took or left in the soil to make her unhappy. Either way you look at it....laziness on my part. :(

I am growing mostly beefsteaks and brandywines this year. Are the rutgers good? Not to turn the topic too far from peppers, but inquiring minds want to know :party:

I am growing mostly beefsteaks and brandywines this year. Are the rutgers good? Not to turn the topic too far from peppers, but inquiring minds want to know :party:
Love the Rutgers. Like Romas and brandy wines more :) I make lots of sauce for pastas at the house so we love canning tomatoes :) Anything that makes good sauce :)
thank you so much for this picture. i have a plant that absolutely needs something like this and i didnt know what to do. when are you going to eat another pepper on camera?! put down the brainstrains and eat a huge fatalii or something!
That's just the bottom (first staking). The top had to get another system two days ago. I'm about to cage her. I'll post pics when I'm done.

AJ, the fatalii gave me 2.5 pounds today and I got a bigger harvest that that last Sat so I guess I undershot my estimates. And she's not happy...the brain is happy so I can't wait :)

3months. ?! WTH. My plants are barely 6" at 3months. I guess that's why they call you the guru!! I love the fatalii. Tasted my 1st one yesterday. Love the aroma. Wish I can harvest 20 from mine. You harvest 2.5lbs in one sitting. Great job on the video. Like Pinoy said. Need to dissect Your BRAIN!!!

Denniz

Yeah me too man. I adore Fatalii as if she were a spicy mistress. If there was but only one variety left on earth, Id want it to be Fatalii. All the characteristics in a pepper I like. The flavor...huge Chinese with a very citrusy Asian annum zing at the front! Very aromatic without the perfumey thing. Great heat right at the front and EPIC heat in the finish! I put mine up against all the "super hots" that people send and the mouth effect is always superior. The super hots get my gut, Fatalii don't. I like that. However, the mental effects of the Brain may just be worth it ;)

Speaking of Fatalii...Mrs. Gurus Fatamango jam

7630677240_9ef3519940.jpg

I like Fatal Mango better but this was her thing when I came home the other night...lol Love my Wife!

Back