• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Guru's Glog 2012

Is it that time again already? Feels like yesterday I was picking final harvests, disonnecting drip lines out in the garden and digging up pepper plants for the winter. Where does the time go?

Anyhow, I see people are already in full swing here on THP. What a lovely site. I'll be the first to admit, I'm running a little late this year, but I have an excuse I'm prepared to live with....

7114685757_d5b074d6e4_c.jpg

7114685603_0acb6dcd4c_z.jpg

6968607380_a4a7756a49_z.jpg

7114686617_7b5269c7f7_c.jpg

:P I needed a vacation! Well that, and a good friend of mine asked if I wanted to open up a restaurant in Thailand. Who says no to that? Not I.

We had a great time. Its paradise, and very cheap. Above all, as a chili head, Thai food is a gift from God himself. I ate better and fresher food than you could ever get in the US, for pennies a meal. The trip was awesome. I think Im even suffering from seperation anxiety...lol I couldn't even begin to go into all the things that happened on this trip, without this starting to sound like more of a blog than a GLOG, so I'll spare you guys for now.

Anyway, down to business. Before I left, I started a 72 cell super hot tray and pulled the mothers from last year outside.

7000565561_e6ea3f306c.jpg

6853788736_d8471419a5.jpg

6953290335_44f7660374.jpg

The lady bugs went to work on the mothers, and I felt confident that Mrs. Guru could take care of the germination while I was away.

6854454322_62e0e740d0.jpg

Now, I'd be lying if I said I never worried for a second while I was away. I had already started my seeds a week or two later than usual and now I was going to be gone while they were supposed to be "born"....lol but I knew the better option for my sanity was to let go, remember I was on vacation and not think about the seeds. Im glad I did, because the ole lady did ok! :P

I got back, germ rates were near 100% and it was on to potting up!

7114682885_8d4046f56a.jpg

Quick make shift shade house for the tender seedlings after a transplant and a break in the clouds.

6968607084_b90b8da498.jpg

Yep, I'm just starting to get into the strain specific pepper mychorizae. I assume dry spore cultures are just a matter of drying the tea out on a sterile platter? More research is necessary for my to give you a definitive answer, but it shall be done :)

WOW, so you are going to figure out what specific Mychorizae work best for individual pepper plant strains? if so that is AMAZING and cannot wait to read more about this one!

Guru,
I've been reading what you've written about using fish rotted into soup for fertilizer. Does it have to be just fish, or would a freezer burnt piece of beef or chicken be okay in there with it?

Ok So I didn't do much "reviewing" in the video. It was an instant esophagus and stomach destroyer! I walk over to the sink half way through the video because I thought I was going to throw up...lol I gotta be honest, the mouth burn wasn't as horrible or unbearable as I was anticipating, but the gut...dear lord. Far worse gut burn than a Trinidad Scorpion. I did drink some milk in the video just as the heat was really getting to my stomach. I've got a mouth of steel, but a very weak stomach for certain types of peppers eaten whole. This happened to be one of them! Thanks goes out to Cappy for sending the seeds. These are excellent plant specimens with great genetics. She is as tall as I am now and loaded down with flowers and pods. A serious garden performer! This is for all the growers here at THP.

i feel your pain guru. literally haha. I wish i had been able to hold more of mine down so i could have had the night visions! Your grow is very impressive! the 15-85 gallon air pots are crazy! I thought my chiles were growing big in the few 3-5 gallon air pots I have but now i see how much of a noob I really am! The BS i ate from cappy definitely hit me harder than the moruga but the BS was also bigger so who knows! I do know that i feel almost lucky that i could get mine out quickly. even though i strained so hard i blew all the blood vessels in my eyelids. I look like the founder and president of the asheville crack smoking club. maybe thats why its called brain strain!

So...Im doing another brain today "its rainin brain, hallelujah, its rainin brain"

I kind of like this pepper :P

Here are some shots of a beauty.

7599190290_47f889265a_c.jpg

7599203918_8081c3f32a_c.jpg

7599192874_e09b56b88d_c.jpg

Oh Yeah! And I found a really cool way to cut them so that they all make perfect symmetrical ink blot style shapes that look just like a human skull with brain inside. Or like the Mayan figure heads with brain and lower jaw, nose, eye sockets...its really freaking awesome. These peppers really are the "Brain Strain"

7599188394_6e6fa369f7_c.jpg

Here are the two pheno types of the Red Aribibi that 2gods sent me.
Pheno large, fat, wrinkly, with a point.

7599200748_4333382128_c.jpg

Pheno more close to original Aribibi skinny, wrinkly, and round inverted tip

7599204100_6a08ec151d_c.jpg

Garden Shot

7599212018_4afd833fb8_c.jpg

Hope you guys are all doing well!

Thanks for posting some pictures of the Red Aribibi, mine aren't producing pods yet but it's interesting too see what the offspring does. The first one looks like it's crossed with a Fatalii or something. Curious about how the taste of them is :)

So...Im doing another brain today "its rainin brain, hallelujah, its rainin brain"

I kind of like this pepper :P

Here are some shots of a beauty.

You Crazy man, you crazy!

They do have quite the Robust flavor, and the oil is just dripping out. Well good luck and have fun.

wow another brain! and that one looks fierce. i dont know if i could do them that close together haha. I did a small Naga Morich last night after thirty thursday thinking it would be nothing compared to the Brain. it still hurt like a bastard and almost sobered me up!

What i really liked was doing a Goat Pepper video 2 days later. If you conquer the super hots it gives you the ability to taste every flavor in the strains that are less brutal!

The brain is going through a growth explosion right now. All these daily afternoon showers. Yesterday the tops got so heavy from the water weight that they all bent over! I walked out and got scared for a minute but after getting her staked back up, things are ok and she incurred minimal damage. I am going to have to do netting or caging like for huge cannabis tees because this soil mix and airpruning pots let them get too big, too fast! Never thought I'd say that! Lol...

Wonderful! Is that multiple plants in there? I see the 1gl? Pot ontop of the air pot. Or are you just shading a plant that is in recovery lol. Also, is that your brains first year? If so, I'm going to crawl in a hole and contemplate life for the next 7 years.

Yes. One Brain shading a chacoense pair for twisting bonsai. She's what? Three months old now? I'll have to go back for exact date. First year, three months old or so. :) I may throw a net on her yet!

Back