• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

Habanero Sauce

Hi, I am new to the forum and really need advise.

I made a Belizan Hot Sauce. Followed the directions but it is kinda thick and I left the pulp in after the food processor pulverized it.

Is it supposed to be kinda thick and with the pulp or be like a runny Tabasco sauce.

Thanks for your help!!

:welcome:

That's really up to you. Do you want it thick, thin, or in the middle?

And what makes is Belizean?

Hey there and welcome!

It is supposed to be however YOU like it, unless you are making it for the general public in which case it should be about the consistency of a thick ketchup IMO.

Edit: Too slow!

Carrots can make it thick, and even if you thin it out, they can make it gritty if you don't cook it long enough. I suggest a longer cooking time, and thin it out with a liquid you want to add.

as much as i love burbon and most ofther forms of alcohol.. i'd suggest a low sugar fruit juice/nectar, such as mango or guava, lime juice...hell, even cranberry juice would be good. also, i have found that if i want to use carrots in my sauce, buy baby food.. then you don't have to worry about cooking it long enough, or it being greitty

First of all: Welcome to the forum.

Do you wanna spice up stews or other dishes with it? Keep it liquid. Do you wanna use it on meat or as a spread on bread or to spice up pizza? Keep it thick.
I did a few sauces with wine, calvados, bourbon, bock beer and they all came out great. Lime or lemon juice are further options if you wanna keep it fruity.

Like you, I enjoy making hot sauces with my peppers. Everyone's getting some for Xmas! Typically, I prefer single variety sauces so that I can taste the pepper flavor. The family likes a serrano sauce that has the right amount of heat for them without being overpowering. Leaving whole or halfing and deseeding is up to you. Simply put them in a pot with water, kosher salt and a little white vinegar (do not like to taste vinegar in may sauce) and boil for 15 minutes. Adding a little onion and garlic never hurts. I then process in a blender (as opposed to a food processor) to a point where it resembles a thick slurry adding just enough of the cooking water to reach that consistency. I then strain through a fine mesh kitchen strainer to get rid of bits, pieces, seeds, etc. The finished sauce is thin but not watery. If you like a thicker sauce, I put the sauce back in the pot, bring to a boil and a little corn starch (NOT flour) and water mixture to thicken it up. Be careful, to much can make it like gravey. Bottle it up (if refrigerated) or can in a hot water bath. Seems to taste better the longer it ages.

For a sauce that has a tomato accent, I roast fresh tomatoes (preferably from the garden) over mesquite for 3 hours and then add that to the sauce before blending. This sauce is pretty thick from the start. I've done a carrots, tequila and hab sauce mentioned earlier that was pretty tasty. Experimentation is half the fun.

I'm a newbie too so welcome to the forum.

Sure! It is a no rules game. The only vinegar that I do not use is cider type do to purely taste considerations.
Just a follow up to my earlier humble post; there can be various definations as to what is a "sauce". I assumed by Cooksedge initial posting that the sauce was to be more liquidity in consistency in which case I strain to remove particlate. I want a smooth table sauce.

However, I also make a green and red NuMex style "sauce" (using roasted and peeled anaheims) that is more on the chunky side. Therefore, when making this type, I put all the ingredients into a food processor and pulse until I get the right consistency.

Back