• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

HAHAHA redsavina.com

blarglesnipe,

I ordered my red savina seeds from redsavina.com (I thought it seemed like the best place to do it). I did notice on the products they carry that every thing is labeled "red savina TM", but the seeds they sell were only labeled "red habanero". I of course thought "eh, it's probably mislabled, I mean it IS redsavina.com".

But doubt in my mind told me to order the dried pods as welland plant seeds from them for comparison. As I now have 2 seeds sprouting, I've noticed that none of the seeds from the dried pods were doing anything at all and decided to ask redsavina.com myself.

As it turns out, the seeds they sell indeed are not red savinas but run-of-the-mill red habs. And I was told the process they use during dehydrating the savina pods kills the seeds and they are unable to germinate (I think they used a lot of heat and a lot of salt, b/c these pods tasted really salty):mouthonfire:.

But my skepticism has proved useful! I planted only 1 red hab seed in each seedling tray, and six "dead" seeds from the pods in each tray from day 1 unknowingly but doubtingly.

As of today, I officially have one REAL red savina sprout coming up.....and it just feels so good to stick it to the man.

Just so you know, Caribbean Reds and Red Savinas are not the same and not even similar. many places sell both under the same name. the Red Savina is more round-ish with great flavor and heat, and the Caribbean Reds a bit longer, sometimes even lumpy with the most amazing fruity flavor and IMO much greater heat.

Omri said:
Just so you know, Caribbean Reds and Red Savinas are not the same and not even similar. many places sell both under the same name. the Red Savina is more round-ish with great flavor and heat, and the Caribbean Reds a bit longer, sometimes even lumpy with the most amazing fruity flavor and IMO much greater heat.

Hey Omri, I got some Caribbean Red seeds from Burpee about 5 years ago but never could get them to grow/germinate. I was a newb, couldn't even spell Pro-Mix. Do you think these are the real deal?
http://www.burpee.com/product/vegetables/pepper,+hot/hot+pepper+caribbean+red+-+1+pkt.+(30+seeds).do
I still have the seeds - been in the fridge - maybe I'll try again next year. It sounds like you have a real love for them and I respect your opinion.

bigt said:
Hey Omri, I've got some Caribbean Red seeds from Burpee about 5 years ago but never could get them to grow/germinate. I was a newb, couldn't even spell Pro-Mix. Do you think these are the real deal?
http://www.burpee.com/product/vegetables/pepper,+hot/hot+pepper+caribbean+red+-+1+pkt.+(30+seeds).do
I still have the seeds - been in the fridge - maybe I'll try again next year. It sounds like you have a real love for them and I respect your opinion.
I honestly don't know, but by looking at the picture, they sure look like the Caribbean Red.

i did, but i thougth the savina was hotter?...Caribbean red around 350K, and Red sav around at 550K?

but everybody likes to hype sh!t up, and I could easily believe the savina being hyped. What I do know for sure is that the savinas are supposed to be difficult to achieve max heat, just have to baby the F out of them, or by baby I mean starve them at the end, whatever baby, starve, same difference, ha ha

hotenuff4u said:
i did, but i thougth the savina was hotter?...Caribbean red around 350K, and Red sav around at 550K?
Yes and no. The 544,000 was contested by quite a many people. But heat will always vary from pod to pod and plant to plant.

hotenuff4u said:
or by baby I mean starve them at the end, whatever baby, starve, same difference, ha ha

All I got out of that was starving babies....which got me laughing pritty hard to myself....sigh...I need beer.

hotenuff4u said:
As of today, I officially have one REAL red savina sprout coming up.....and it just feels so good to stick it to the man.

Good I say! Fight the power! And them just sending out reg Red habs weak. They should send the real deal.

Not to thread jack, but I saw some chatter about the Caribbean Red and have a quick couple photos of what one of mine looked like last year. The pods weren't as long as BigT's picture, and I did buy the seedlings rather than grew from seed so I can't say exactly how legit or true they were.

My Pods never got that long, that might be a different type of Habanero.

This is what all my C. Reds looked like...

Caribbean_Red_Hot_Peppers_Seeds.jpg

chilli_habanero.jpg

Red Savina tend to look more sunken and deformed like:

savina_group.jpg

chilliman said:
Yep ! Spot on !

And the Congo trinadad is a bigger version of the Savina pictured above. And the heat is comparable.
I'm not going to comment on most of the posts here, but I just had to comment on yours.
You're selling seeds and say your Red Savina is deformed? Red Savinas are not deformed. Red Savinas are round with the occasional "dents" in it. Congo is just a name for a large Chinense type from that specific area. I personally grew something like 7 different Congos (all kinds of different colors, too) and none were as hot as the Red Savina.

Just had to comment on that.

Omri said:
I'm not going to comment on most of the posts here, but I just had to comment on yours.
You're selling seeds and say your Red Savina is deformed? Red Savinas are not deformed. Red Savinas are round with the occasional "dents" in it. Congo is just a name for a large Chinense type from that specific area. I personally grew something like 7 different Congos (all kinds of different colors, too) and none were as hot as the Red Savina.

Just had to comment on that.

Corrected ! I have not grown savina ! You right Omri after looking at my photo from supplier;) I am pretty new at the chilli game but have very reputable suppliers such as Frontel Agritech, Nickies, NMSU, chilliman.org, pepper pete many many more.
I IMPORT from certified or orginators of certian strains.

So I humbly appologise and stand corrected. (another reason I am here is to gain knowledge! From some of you chilli freaks, Neil has been of the most help and now have joint venture ideas boiling ! )

THANX OMRI
IAN

Personally I find the red savinas are way over-hyped and should have never been a world record holder, but for me they are way more productive than the Caribbean reds and I don't think you can legally sell Red Savina seeds without a proper license! Even if the PVP runs out, I think the name is still trademarked

Edit: I've never seen red savinas like RichardK's deformed pic. I'd say they are a different variety.

Back