food Harvest Cooking with Stickman

oldsalty said:
Absolutely my friend have become obsessed with this site! Lol kimchi is my next project :)

Cool! I think you'll like it... just use gochugaru from the Republic of Korea if possible... it's sun-dried and ground unlike what comes out of China. Better color, flavor and aroma. The Chinese pepper powders I've seen are all oven-dried before grinding, which makes for a darker product and drives off more of the volatile oils, which costs you in the flavor department. Keep us posted on how it goes for you. :)

Cool, thanks for that source Grant! These are the things I look for on a package of Korean pepper powder... first the country of origin, then...

gochugaru (red pepper powder) = 고추가루
deolmaeun (mildly spicy) = 덟매운
maeun (spicy) = 매운
taeyangcho (sun dried) = 태양초

some other sources you might find useful...
http://www.mykoreandiet.com/ingredients-for-korean-food/what-is-gochugaru-korean-hot-pepper-powder.html
http://www.maangchi.com/ingredient/hot-pepper-flakes

Cheers!

This weekend's Pizza Throwdown looks like fun, so I think I'll make 3 classic pies and one outside the box with some Jerk chicken. I've gotta go out this morning to get some of the toppings but I made the whole wheat dough last night and it's in the 'fridge until I make them.
SANY0061_zps671cf054.jpg

Thanks Devan, I appreciate the good vibe. :)  I'm thinking in addition to the jerk chicken pie I'll make one white pizza with garlic, olive oil and 4 cheeses for the sauce, capers, anchovies, dried peppers and fresh parsley for toppings, one Portuguese-style pizza with ajvar for the sauce and chorizo, potato and rosemary for toppings, a traditional Sicilian Capricciosa with tomato sauce, mushroom, onion, ham, artihoke, olives, eggplant and interestingly enough... a couple of Vienna sausages on top. Nobody's quite sure why the wurstel on top but it does seem to be traditional in Sicily. I canned up the ajvar a couple of months ago, and made the tomato sauce this morning. It's just a cup and a half of home-canned tomatoes run through a food mill and simmered together with a pinch of salt, a pinch of sugar, pinch of Italian herb seasoning, a few grinds of pepper, tablespoon of tomato paste and a few sprigs of chopped fresh basil.
SANY0062_zps4629d84e.jpg

tctenten said:
Good luck in the TD Rick.  Those sound like some nice ingredients you will be cooking with.  

Thanks Terry! I just got the jerk rub made up before lunch
SANY0063_zpsd1a611fc.jpg

SANY0064_zpsce4e06f2.jpg

Then took a break to eat some Portuguese kale soup made with lucinato kale from the garden
SANY0065_zps91652a3b.jpg

Next step is marinating the chicken breast half for the pie later...
SANY0068_zps1256e10b.jpg

Hi folks... back again after a hiatus of a few weeks... The fire cider is finally finished. It didn't have quite enough zing, so I added a pinch of my kitchen sink powder to improve its upper respiratory-clearing powers. We occasionally make tinctures, and the press comes in very handy.
SANY0100_zps2803750d.jpg

I also made the week's quota of bread. This is our favorite... whole wheat, honey, buttermilk.
SANY0097_zps9069506b.jpg

I'm gonna get some brisket at the market and make some Texas chili in the slow cooker today while putting together  a Christmas Stollen for Thursday. 
Cheers!

Next step to Texas chili is making the chili powder. I put a couple of Cascabel chiles, a couple of Pasillas, a couple of Anchos and 4 Chimayos in a baking pan and toasted them for 10 minutes at 250 degrees, then removed stems and seeds and ground them together with 6 dried Pequins, half teaspoon of cumin, half teaspoon of garlic powder, half teaspoon of oregano and quarter teaspoon of salt to make about a half a cup of chili powder.
SANY0102_zps3ec6d07c.jpg

SANY0104_zpseb8d4b0e.jpg

Next, I cut 2 pounds of beef brisket into pieces the size of your little toe, seasoned with salt and pepper, and browned in a dutch oven over high heat until all the water that exuded out of the meat evaporated and the meat was well-browned. Then I lowered the heat to medium and added a minced clove of garlic and a small chopped onion and sweated the onion. Stirred in a tablespoon of the chili powder, 1/2 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/4 tsp salt and stirred for a couple of minutes... then added a cup of beef broth and a 10 ounce can of Rotel chopped tomatoes with lime and cilantro. Brought the chili to a simmer and reduced the heat to low and simmered, covered for an hour until the meat was tender. Last step was to stir in a slurry of a couple of tbsp of masa harina and an equal amount of water to thicken the liquid.
SANY0103_zps9120f18c.jpg

SANY0105_zps76b7ee41.jpg

I'll cook up some lucinato kale for greens to go with the chile tonight... we already have the fresh bread. :drooling:

Now, time to make the stollen. Cheers!

paulky_2000 said:
Chilli looks awesome!

Stollen.....is that like a fruit cake?

S'right brother... No Beans! ;)

Stollen is a yeasted German Christmas fruit-nut-egg bread. I make mine with whole wheat and whole wheat pastry flour, and a little cottage cheese to reduce the amount of butter in the dough. No shortage of fruit and nuts though, and I also soak the dried fruit in rum overnight before making the stollen.
sicman said:
I like me some "Tejas chili" never had it but I need a bowl of it pronto.

Not like,but it is what it is. Gross,lol.  

Supper's at 5 Sic... ;)

Mine isn't too sweet, and makes great toast! The family loves it.

Making some Yucatan-style pork braised in banana leaves with ripe plantain, caramelized onions, roasted and peeled yellow wax peppers and brown sugar in lieu of polincillo sugar.
SANY0107_zpse5abd715.jpg

SANY0106_zps334e781a.jpg

SANY0110_zpse6783522.jpg

After adding everything to the dutch oven lined with banana leaves, I tucked in the ends of the leaves, covered with aluminum foil and put into a preheated 325 degree oven for 1-1/2 to 2 hours until fork tender. I still have to make tortillas, spicy pumpkin soup and garlic-y greens to go with.

Back