• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Harvest time

why do you slice the peppers to dehydrate?
Over in India, we never do that. It is said that shade dried whole chillies have better flavour and taste.

Scotch Bonnets, Davie Peach, 923, Aji Lemon? and Hot Tree Pepper
4af4b8829e5f475190c3401ace4aedd4

Jamaican Hot Yellows, Hot Tree Peppers, unknowns and some forgotten ones (have to check my plant labels)
39d99874f55d45188616d4f1004f3c7e

Hot Tree Peppers, Aji Lemon? and other cant remembers!

2a574e2f9bda462e9595084f69d7a358

Naga Jolokia Addict said:
why do you slice the peppers to dehydrate?
Over in India, we never do that. It is said that shade dried whole chillies have better flavour and taste.

I was saving seed from half of them and quite a few are thick skinned so don't dry well, I have a heap more to do so it helps speed up the process. They are in the dehydrator and not the sun so its all in shade :lol:

Gotcha buddy.
What I meant was, we dry them where sun does not affect its color as well as essential oils.
What temperature do you usually have ?
I think about 30 C to 32 C should not be a problem.

Here are some that I just pickled also
Blonde Habaneros, Aji Gusanito and Rat Chilli. When I tried each of these I thought they would all be good for pickling so can't wait to try them.
774152a6039d4548bc911aad15fe937e

Gotcha buddy.
What I meant was, we dry them where sun does not affect its color as well as essential oils.
What temperature do you usually have ?
I think about 30 C to 32 C should not be a problem.

Oh ok. I'm still experimenting to get a good temp as I usually just freeze them. Have got it on at 47 C at the moment. Have done it higher in the past but it just goes brittle and doesn't keep colour. I don't have lots of days to leave these so don't really want to go too much lower in temp.

I have my dehydrator set at 125F which is about 52C. 47C will definately do the trick just take a little longer and may help to retain color better.

jacob

For me , it is unthinkable heat.
Last year I shadow dried Bydgis at 32 C and even till date , they have wonderful flavor and color.

jjs7741 said:
I have my dehydrator set at 125F which is about 52C. 47C will definately do the trick just take a little longer and may help to retain color better.

jacob

Yeah I had it on 52 then turned it down for that reason, should be ok, we will see.

For me , it is unthinkable heat.
Last year I shadow dried Bydgis at 32 C and even till date , they have wonderful flavor and color.

32C is cooler than it is outside in summer here. My dehydrator doesn't even do that low, 98f or about 37C is the lowest it goes. I can't dry outside due to the humidity being near 100% all summer long here. I will try lower temps this year to see the difference though.

Ahaaa, the humidity.
Over here, we have less than 15 to 20 percent humidity in chilli growing regions in season.
Yes, you do need that temps.

Wildfire Chilli Australia said:
Here are some that I just pickled also
Blonde Habaneros, Aji Gusanito and Rat Chilli. When I tried each of these I thought they would all be good for pickling so can't wait to try them.
774152a6039d4548bc911aad15fe937e

Blonde Habnero? same as white bullet peruvian white habanero looks the same size shape andallilike the nameblondehabanerosoundscool!

If you don't increase the dehydration temperature and/or split he pods, it will take forever with a large harvest...

AJ.... No sauce for these pods, freezer and dryer.

Wildfire..... I'm glad to see you're getting great harvests even after the problem's you've had, looks good. I had Habanero Blonde last year, is it Garden Gurus branded? I'm pretty sure that's what mine were. They produced a lot but took forever to ripen up.

NJA.... I slice all the thicker walled pods too, otherwise they take forever to dry. The Yellow 7s especially. They're quite a meaty pod.

Thanks seeyoujimmy. Yeah still got a few problems going on but I think most of them are looking better now, but hey at least they are producing lots of pods. Its funny to see a plant with one or two leaves but about 20 pods on it!
The Yellow 7's and Barrackpores and T. Scorps are excellent producers.
Just checked the dehydrator and pulled one tray out - all the ones that were long and thin (yellow &red) and some jamaican hot yellows are ready. No loss in colour except the jamaicans aren't as bright. Yellow 7's still very soft, will prob take a few days for them.

The Blonde Habs are froma nursery here called Sunnyvale. They are wholesale and supply Bunnings etc.

Have you considered smoking any of your peppers? Jalapeno's aren't the only peppers that taste great when smoked and dried. And I'm not talking about a pipe either ...

ultravista said:
Have you considered smoking any of your peppers? Jalapeno's aren't the only peppers that taste great when smoked and dried. And I'm not talking about a pipe either ...

We tried once in a little fish smoker we had, but left it too long. I know there would be a few that would taste really good if not most of them but I just don't have a set up or the time to fiddle around with it.
We also tried them on the chiminea once, that gave it a nice smoke and a superb flavour but it was hard to stop parts being blackened.

Today's bounty:

001-8.jpg

From left...Cayenne, Jalapeno, Trinidad Scorpion, Afghan Long, Fatali, Jonah (they don't seem to get very big for me), Serrano, Yellow 7Pot, Choc Habs (a bit out of focus), very few Tabasco and Bih Jolokia (there's literally hundreds on the plants, just ripen will ya).

Back