• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

have you tried rocotos?

these boys are good. I got one last year in a bag of mixed pods i bought and saved the seeds.
This year from 2 plants a managed to get about a dozen ripe pods
If you like the crunch and juicyness you get from a normal bell pepper then you'll love rocotos, you get all that with a good heat thrown in.

I'm down to my last 3! They are getting used in everything
Next up is an omlette

I had to pick all of mine while they were still green, but they are ripening in a paper bag with a banana right now. I like them, they are best used fresh, but I have around 100 pods and will have to can/pickle some of them.

rainbowberry said:
They're nice and easy to de-seed.

Oh yea the seeds just fall out.
What ones taste the best RB? i've got red one.
I'm growing out my seeds next year, because mine grew more plum shaped rather than a globe like the parent fruit.
So hopefully they will revert back to the parent shape

Mine rocoto rojo blossomed and fruited late and unfortunately succumbed to the horrors of frost... I need to get some more seed to try again next year.

LUCKYDOG said:
Mine rocoto rojo blossomed and fruited late and unfortunately succumbed to the horrors of frost... I need to get some more seed to try again next year.

The same thing happened to mine. I have read that they need to be polinated manually, did any of you have to do that?

I think that manzanos are, over all, the most versatile of the pubescens. Great looking flower and fruit.

Nice flavor, reasonable picante and they can be used either fresh or cooked. I have grown other pubescens varieties and they have all self-pollinated.

IMG_3637.jpg

BrianS said:
The same thing happened to mine. I have read that they need to be polinated manually, did any of you have to do that?

I pollinated a few to see if it woudl work and it did... then I felt dirty and perverted and couldnt get the pollin off my collar -- overall once it started producing pods it seems it took over on its own -- I guess it just need to be shown what to do :(

I babied that plant too... more epsom for blooms moveing in different places because of the amount of sunlight .. very difficult but I will try again

My brother grew the rocoto yellow and it got hundreds of pods on it and not one was manually pollinated....

Our main problem was the bloody fruit flys. Even with traps they still loved the fruit of the rocoto...:lol:

I think we only got about 5 ripe uninfested pods.....

Lovely and juicy

haven't tried rocotos but I love bell peppers, use them to almost everything I can think of. and of course I add some heat too

munchzilla said:
haven't tried rocotos but I love bell peppers, use them to almost everything I can think of. and of course I add some heat too

You wanna plant some black seeds, you'll love the fruit

Have been growing Red Rocoto for 5-6 years now. Pimento-like shape and unique flavor. Love the one-of-a-kind black seeds.............

DSCF2162.jpg

these are the first pubescens pods I have ever grown, they were really juicy tasty and very hot (to me anyway hotter than a habanero)
Huge pods on this plant these ones in the photo are the medium size.

I was wondering how your plant's doing Mick, looks like you got some great pods. Yeah, they ARE hot, told ya;)

I only had one canario pod to taste and I absolutely liked it. And those black seeds are beautyful. I hope to grow some next year. I already started red and canario as a test. And maybe they will survive for the summer.

Back