• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

HeatMiser's 2021 Glog

Happy New Year!

With the new year comes a new Glog, hoping that 2021 is much better than 2020 (low bar, I know). I'm already pumped to get things going.

Here's what I'll be growing this year

5 Gal Kratkys

Fatalii - Always wanted to grow these. I've had germination issues in the past. Hopefully I'll get to finally grow one this year.
Antep Aci Dolma - I've read amazing things about this pepper. Looking forward to using it in the kitchen.
Carolina Reaper - The one and only. The king of sting. I just had to grow one of these.
Paquime Hybrid - These Jalapenos are gigantic. I see some Poppers in the future.
Yum-Yum Hybrid - Growing these for my wife. She wanted to try a different sweet pepper.
Habanero - A classic. I'm growing this one to fully use the space I have available for my 5 gal buckets. This might get axed if a more interesting variety shows up.

1 Gal Kratkys

Chiltepin - I didn't get to see this one set pods last year due to a broad mite attack. I'm trying again this year.
Numex Twilight - Carrying this one over from my current 2020 grow.
Mystery Pepper - Carrying this one over from my current 2020 grow.

3 Gal Fabric Pots

Piri-Piri - I follow Chillichump on YouTube and he's all over this one. Figured I should try it and see what I think.
Bahamian Goat - I also follow Khang Starr and he mentions this one all the time. 
Sugar Rush Striped - These look soo cool, like bacon in pepper form. 
Death Spiral - Cool name, don't know what to expect.
Khang Starr Lemon Starrburst - This must be one of the most hyped-up peppers recently. Let's see what the fuzz is about.
BJh-1 Purple Thunder - Got my hands on some seeds from the A-Train. Thanks for adding these PaulG! The pods are really gorgeous. Hopefully I can get them to grow successfully.

This grow is going to be a challenge for me in a good way. This is the most plants I'll have ever taken care of, and also I'll be branching out a little and try to grow the 3 Gal Fabric Pots outdoors. I hope I can keep those plants to a manageable size until they move outside.

Seeds were already put in their rockwool cubes earlier today:
KJ0KuQq.jpg

Just waiting for germination. Let's see how this year (and grow) turns out!

Hope you guys are having a good start to 2021...

In a way that's more convenient, saves a step along the way.

Wrappers maybe help retain moisture?
They might make the cubes easier to handle,
I suppose, and they can be written on for labeling.

The naked ones probably air prune better. 

I have only used wrapped ones in the 30 something-packs,
so can't really compare. Guess it's 6 of one and a half-dozen
of the other.

Looking forward to seeing those bushy little roots!

PaulG said:
In a way that's more convenient, saves a step along the way.

Wrappers maybe help retain moisture?
They might make the cubes easier to handle,
I suppose, and they can be written on for labeling.

The naked ones probably air prune better. 

I have only used wrapped ones in the 30 something-packs,
so can't really compare. Guess it's 6 of one and a half-dozen
of the other.

Looking forward to seeing those bushy little roots!

Correct, from what I've seen, the wrapped ones have different uses. Grodan has a full system where smaller cubes (the wrapped ones) can be put into larger slabs once the plants reach a certain age. The wrap helps retain moisture and prevent algae growth, and should be left in place when growing in a system like that.

Since I don't do that kind of hydroponics, I simply use the cubes as germination media and then transfer the plants to their corresponding containers. I've had great success germinating in rockwool. More so than the paper towel method that seems to work great for some people.

I agree rockwool is a great germinator. 

Is if Mildfruit that uses the Grodan blocks?

More and more seedlings have popped out during the week. This is where things stand

Germinated so far:
Habanero
Fatalii
Antep Aci Dolma
Carolina Reaper
Paquime
Yum-Yum
Piri-Piri
Sugar Rush Stripey
Death Spiral
BJh1-Purple Thunder
Variegated Jalapeno
Zapotec Jalapeno

I'm really happy that some of these germinated, especially since the seeds were 7-8 years old. The Fatalii is one I've wanted to grow for a while, and now I finally got one to sprout. Really looking forward to get this grow going.

Still waiting for these:
Chiltepin - one of these has sprouted but has a helmet head. I'm fighting the urge to perform surgery while I wait for some other seed to germinate.
Bahamian Goat
KS Lemon Starrburst

Here's a shot of all the seedlings. Not bad so far...
ofxSNfw.jpg

In other news, here's the Numex Twilight and Mystery Pepper. I've been messing heavily with the Mystery Pepper trying to keep it from growing too tall. 
tgPGM6y.jpg

The Numex Twilight has many flower buds. Can't wait to see some color from those pods, which will be a nice contrast to the grey dome we get in the PNW this time of the year.
F1FZDk1.jpg

Alright, progress being made in the PNW!

Looks like a couple of sprouts have shed
the seed husk on their own.

PaulG said:
Alright, progress being made in the PNW!

Looks like a couple of sprouts have shed
the seed husk on their own.

Thanks Paul, it's good to see that most of the varieties have germinated so far. Low incidence of helmet heads, and they all have resolved by themselves, except for the lone Tepin that is not shown in the picture. It's almost time for you to start your seeds!  :dance:

HeatMiser said:

Thanks Paul, it's good to see that most of the varieties have germinated so far. Low incidence of helmet heads, and they all have resolved by themselves, except for the lone Tepin that is not shown in the picture. It's almost time for you to start your seeds!  :dance:
They will get dropped on Feb. 1!

Finally got some pods on the Numex Twilight.

The plant is growing like a nice little bush, with very little maintenance on my part whenever a branch grows a little too long. 
lFeMUF3.jpg

Here's the first of what I hope will be many pods on this plant. I didn't get this far when I last grew this variety due to broad mites.
l1HE9FT.jpg

Can't wait to see all the different colors at once. Just a few more weeks.

Cayennemist said:
I got my hands full this year already, but I may do something in the off season in the garage.
I know that feeling, I grew a few heads of lettuce last year and I started my tomatoes in rockwood with hydro nutes, but I still haven't went for it with a full season grow in hydro

Cayennemist said:
Looks good!
One of these days I want to try my hand at some hydro. Looks like fun.

Good luck.

Go for it! It's actually easier than it looks. Don't know if you follow Khang Starr on YouTube but he has several videos on simple hydro setups. I like that I don't have to deal with dirt indoors, and the wife appreciates it too!

Twilight's looking good! Is that edema, though? Or maybe just an oddity with the photo?

HeatMiser said:
Go for it! It's actually easier than it looks. Don't know if you follow Khang Starr on YouTube but he has several videos on simple hydro setups. I like that I don't have to deal with dirt indoors, and the wife appreciates it too!

Definitely a good resource. I switched entirely to coir to avoid further tent infestations, and also started small Kratky bottles. Very easy to get started, and addictive!

internationalfish said:
Twilight's looking good! Is that edema, though? Or maybe just an oddity with the photo?

Definitely a good resource. I switched entirely to coir to avoid further tent infestations, and also started small Kratky bottles. Very easy to get started, and addictive!

Thanks 'fish!

I'll be using coir for the plants that will eventually go to the backyard. Eager to see how that works out. 

On the twilight, there's no oddity with the picture - you totally got it right - this is edema. For some reason this variety is more prone to it than all others I've grown indoors. 

Things are progressing well over here.

At this point I'm only waiting for 2 varieties:
  • Bahamian Goat (seeds are just starting to germinate)
  • Chiltepin - no signs of life yet other than the seedling I mentioned in my last update. I don't think that seedling is going to make it, so I'll keep waiting patiently.

I just started feeding them CNS17, at a rate of 7.5ml / gal. This is a little more than what I fed my seedlings in the last grow. I will experiment with that dosage in this grow.

Here's a group shot:
u37JG6y.jpg

Some of them are already working on their first set of leaves. This is a Paquime Jalapeno:
ooTzDzz.jpg

Now for some notables - Here's a Purple Thunder, which stands out from the bunch with purple cotyledons:
lVGhHsL.jpg

Variegated Jalapeno, showing that the first set of leaves will be white:
KFiObKx.jpg

And this dude is another Variegated Jalapeno, which was on the same cube as the one above. I was able to extract it and put it in its own cube, let's see if it makes it:
Pyb8QIL.jpg

Nice looking seedlings  HM.  Do you find that the rock wool cubes with out the wrappers tend to dry out fast?  I've been buying the cubes with the wrappers.  Seems to hold moisture better in our arid house.  We have HVAC and it really dries out the air in the winter.  Right now I'm showing 28% on our hygrometer and that's with a humidifier running!  The wrappers are nice to write on also.  
I'm also curious to watch you start with the coir.  I ordered a block a couple of years ago and haven't used it yet.  Maybe you'll inspire me! :party:

Tybo said:
Nice looking seedlings  HM.  Do you find that the rock wool cubes with out the wrappers tend to dry out fast?  I've been buying the cubes with the wrappers.  Seems to hold moisture better in our arid house.  We have HVAC and it really dries out the air in the winter.  Right now I'm showing 28% on our hygrometer and that's with a humidifier running!  The wrappers are nice to write on also.  
I'm also curious to watch you start with the coir.  I ordered a block a couple of years ago and haven't used it yet.  Maybe you'll inspire me! :party:

Hey Tybo!
To answer your question - not really, but it is definitely more humid here. What I do is water the cubes by hand every evening - they still hold quite a bit of moisture, so they don't fully dry out in 24 hrs. Of course, this changes as the seedlings grow and if you leave them too long in their cubes you're going to have to water them more than once a day. However, if you are air pruning, what you really want is for the edges of the cube to dry out.

I'm guessing your 28% humidity might lead to faster and better air pruning if you use the naked cubes. Mine take about a month, and then they go into their corresponding kratky containers

PaulG said:
Hey, 'Miser! Purple Thunder seedling looking really
good. Leaves showing purple!

Really pulling for the rescue Variegated Jalapeño!
Life force is strong!

You can post your pics on the community threads
as well  ;)

Thanks Paul! I really liked the purple leaves on that plant. Never grown anything like it before.

Seems like the pulled V. Jalapeno has survived the transplant. Glad I decided to do that - I usually cull duplicates if more than 1 seed germinates in a cube. I've already shared a few pics in the community threads, but will continue to do so throughout the grow.

Back