• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

HeatMiser's 2021 Glog

Happy New Year!

With the new year comes a new Glog, hoping that 2021 is much better than 2020 (low bar, I know). I'm already pumped to get things going.

Here's what I'll be growing this year

5 Gal Kratkys

Fatalii - Always wanted to grow these. I've had germination issues in the past. Hopefully I'll get to finally grow one this year.
Antep Aci Dolma - I've read amazing things about this pepper. Looking forward to using it in the kitchen.
Carolina Reaper - The one and only. The king of sting. I just had to grow one of these.
Paquime Hybrid - These Jalapenos are gigantic. I see some Poppers in the future.
Yum-Yum Hybrid - Growing these for my wife. She wanted to try a different sweet pepper.
Habanero - A classic. I'm growing this one to fully use the space I have available for my 5 gal buckets. This might get axed if a more interesting variety shows up.

1 Gal Kratkys

Chiltepin - I didn't get to see this one set pods last year due to a broad mite attack. I'm trying again this year.
Numex Twilight - Carrying this one over from my current 2020 grow.
Mystery Pepper - Carrying this one over from my current 2020 grow.

3 Gal Fabric Pots

Piri-Piri - I follow Chillichump on YouTube and he's all over this one. Figured I should try it and see what I think.
Bahamian Goat - I also follow Khang Starr and he mentions this one all the time. 
Sugar Rush Striped - These look soo cool, like bacon in pepper form. 
Death Spiral - Cool name, don't know what to expect.
Khang Starr Lemon Starrburst - This must be one of the most hyped-up peppers recently. Let's see what the fuzz is about.
BJh-1 Purple Thunder - Got my hands on some seeds from the A-Train. Thanks for adding these PaulG! The pods are really gorgeous. Hopefully I can get them to grow successfully.

This grow is going to be a challenge for me in a good way. This is the most plants I'll have ever taken care of, and also I'll be branching out a little and try to grow the 3 Gal Fabric Pots outdoors. I hope I can keep those plants to a manageable size until they move outside.

Seeds were already put in their rockwool cubes earlier today:
KJ0KuQq.jpg

Just waiting for germination. Let's see how this year (and grow) turns out!

Hope you guys are having a good start to 2021...

Looking good HM!  I like your selection.  The fatalii is a great choice.  Hope it works out for you this time.
I follow Shaun (ChiliChump) also and got some of his Mozambique Piri-Piri seeds that he talks about.  Hope they are as good as he says!  I'll be growing the Bahamian Goats also.
I have the Sugar Rush Stripey seeds but haven't decided whether to grow them or not.  
Hard to beat the good old habanero's.  Are they the orange or red variety?  Ive been seriously considering growing orange hab's this year.
Great list you have.  It'll be fun watching your glog.  Especially the kratky grows.
Good luck.

Pepper Merchant said:
Looks good! We are also doing KSLS in our outdoor grow for 2021. Looking forward to your updates!

Thanks! KSLS has been hyped up so much I thought I had to jump in. I'll check over your glog as well!

Tybo said:
Looking good HM!  I like your selection.  The fatalii is a great choice.  Hope it works out for you this time.
I follow Shaun (ChiliChump) also and got some of his Mozambique Piri-Piri seeds that he talks about.  Hope they are as good as he says!  I'll be growing the Bahamian Goats also.
I have the Sugar Rush Stripey seeds but haven't decided whether to grow them or not.  
Hard to beat the good old habanero's.  Are they the orange or red variety?  Ive been seriously considering growing orange hab's this year.
Great list you have.  It'll be fun watching your glog.  Especially the kratky grows.
Good luck.

Thanks Tybo! This year I'm only growing one of each variety so that I get to try many more different peppers. Yes, my wife and I are looking forward to trying out the Piri-Piri because of how much he talks about them. Did you watch the episode where they try the Dragon's Breath? Poor kid was not having a good time! hahaha...
You should consider growing the Sugar Rush Stripey (is it Stripey?)... It'd be interesting to see if that striped appearance can be brought over to some other pepper.
The habs are orange, but I'm starting to rethink this one since there are some more seeds on the way :party: . Perhaps I still keep it and let it fend for itself outside - we'll see. At some point I'll definitely grow them indoors in kratky.

CaneDog said:
Happy 2021 HM.  I see you're wasting no time on getting the new season underway!

Happy 2021 to you too CD! 

Yup, it's on now! I've been waiting to start this grow for a while now. Hopefully we get cooperation from the seeds and the weather this year.

HeatMiser said:

Thanks Tybo! This year I'm only growing one of each variety so that I get to try many more different peppers. Yes, my wife and I are looking forward to trying out the Piri-Piri because of how much he talks about them. Did you watch the episode where they try the Dragon's Breath? Poor kid was not having a good time! hahaha...
You should consider growing the Sugar Rush Stripey (is it Stripey?)... It'd be interesting to see if that striped appearance can be brought over to some other pepper.
The habs are orange, but I'm starting to rethink this one since there are some more seeds on the way :party: . Perhaps I still keep it and let it fend for itself outside - we'll see. At some point I'll definitely grow them indoors in kratky.

Yeah I saw the dragons breath video.  That guy probably won't try anymore super hots for a while!
I got the Sugar Rush Stripey seeds from Fatalii . net and that's the way they are spelled on that site.  I guess that's right?  I might try a couple.  They are interesting.
Good luck again

Good on ya for getting going, HM! 
Nice selection of varieties.

I hope the BJh-1 does well for you.

Good luck in 2021!

PaulG said:
Good on ya for getting going, HM! 
Nice selection of varieties.

I hope the BJh-1 does well for you.

Good luck in 2021!

Thanks Paul, can't wait to see which varieties decide to show up first...

Just to confirm - BJh-1 produce red pods with that awesome burnt coloration whereas the BJh-2 produce Yellow/Caramel pods? Both of them look awesome. What's the difference between those two and BJh-Mystery?

The Numex Twilight (left) and Mystery Pepper (right) are starting to put on more bulk
yhUGCVG.jpg

I've been topping the Mystery Pepper a bit since it wants to grow tall rather than wide. The Numex Twilight is currently well proportioned, which I like. It has just started to put out some flower buds:

6571ApO.jpg

Hopefully I'll get some nice colored pods in a few weeks.

HeatMiser said:

Thanks Paul, can't wait to see which varieties decide to show up first...

Just to confirm - BJh-1 produce red pods with that awesome burnt coloration whereas the BJh-2 produce Yellow/Caramel pods? Both of them look awesome. What's the difference between those two and BJh-Mystery?
All of my original BJh-x series came from the same pod.

The 'Mystery' has really nice large pods, similar to the
BJh-1, but larger.

Check out some of Glen's post in the PT Community
Grow thread to see the results of his growing out to
the F6. The seeds I sent out last season were all F3.

Well I got hot mail today!

LzfJIhX.jpg

Thanks a lot CD for these seeds! They were already placed in their rockwool cubes and should pop up before some of the chinenses I planted. 

Looking forward to crossing the Zapotec Jalapeno and seeing how well the Variegated Jalapeno does in hydro. I think my lineup for this year is complete now, now it is just a waiting game to see how the different varieties germinate.

CaneDog said:
Awesome. They got there quickly once I managed to get them out the door!

Seems like this will be a good step up in numbers for you.  It'll be interesting to see how the various varieties do under your methods.

I know! I was surprised because the seeds I sent you last year took a lot longer to make it to you.

And yes, this is a big step up in number for me and maybe I'll be overwhelmed with everything else I got going on at the moment, but let's see how many varieties actually germinate and I can always adjust accordingly. One thing is for sure though - I won't be planting any more seeds!

Little by little these guys are starting to wake up.

It's always exciting to see which varieties decide to show up. So far we have the following:

Antep Aci Dolma (1/2)
Carolina Reaper (1/2)
Paquime (2/2)
Yum-Yum (1/1)
Piri - Piri (2/2)
Variegated Jalapeno (1/1)

I have two rockwool cubes for some varieties to give to my MIL who likes to garden. She has no idea she's getting a Carolina Reaper if the second one germinates...

The seedlings have been moved under a T5 light fixture where they are going to be air-pruned for about a month.
khTVmlf.jpg

CaneDog said:
That's awesome, HM.  Peppers sprouting time is always a good time.

Interesting lookin ID system.

It definitely is one of the most enjoyable parts of the grow, at least for me :)

The ID system, haha. I totally geeked out sometime last year (lockdown and stuff) and built a database (i.e - glorified excel spreadsheet) to catalog my seeds. Lets me keep track of varieties, where the seeds came from, crosses and more. Like any database system, each seed pack gets assigned an ID, and that's what you see on the little toothpick flags, instead of long variety names. Turns out that labeling rockwool is tricky!

Hey, HM, do your rockwool cubes come wrapped or naked?

Back