• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

HeatMiser's 2021 Glog

Happy New Year!

With the new year comes a new Glog, hoping that 2021 is much better than 2020 (low bar, I know). I'm already pumped to get things going.

Here's what I'll be growing this year

5 Gal Kratkys

Fatalii - Always wanted to grow these. I've had germination issues in the past. Hopefully I'll get to finally grow one this year.
Antep Aci Dolma - I've read amazing things about this pepper. Looking forward to using it in the kitchen.
Carolina Reaper - The one and only. The king of sting. I just had to grow one of these.
Paquime Hybrid - These Jalapenos are gigantic. I see some Poppers in the future.
Yum-Yum Hybrid - Growing these for my wife. She wanted to try a different sweet pepper.
Habanero - A classic. I'm growing this one to fully use the space I have available for my 5 gal buckets. This might get axed if a more interesting variety shows up.

1 Gal Kratkys

Chiltepin - I didn't get to see this one set pods last year due to a broad mite attack. I'm trying again this year.
Numex Twilight - Carrying this one over from my current 2020 grow.
Mystery Pepper - Carrying this one over from my current 2020 grow.

3 Gal Fabric Pots

Piri-Piri - I follow Chillichump on YouTube and he's all over this one. Figured I should try it and see what I think.
Bahamian Goat - I also follow Khang Starr and he mentions this one all the time. 
Sugar Rush Striped - These look soo cool, like bacon in pepper form. 
Death Spiral - Cool name, don't know what to expect.
Khang Starr Lemon Starrburst - This must be one of the most hyped-up peppers recently. Let's see what the fuzz is about.
BJh-1 Purple Thunder - Got my hands on some seeds from the A-Train. Thanks for adding these PaulG! The pods are really gorgeous. Hopefully I can get them to grow successfully.

This grow is going to be a challenge for me in a good way. This is the most plants I'll have ever taken care of, and also I'll be branching out a little and try to grow the 3 Gal Fabric Pots outdoors. I hope I can keep those plants to a manageable size until they move outside.

Seeds were already put in their rockwool cubes earlier today:
KJ0KuQq.jpg

Just waiting for germination. Let's see how this year (and grow) turns out!

Hope you guys are having a good start to 2021...

Quick update...

The rockwool cubes are getting drier by the time I water them every evening. This is good and it tells me they'll soon need to be put in their corresponding containers. As is expected, annuums are outpacing chinenses in terms of growth:
2Xeu5LR.jpg

Here's a pic of the Mystery Pepper. It's been topped several times already. I'll finally let it flower:
L7Z6Cxr.jpg

Here's a close-up of one of the flowers. Curious to see what this turns into:
oFB8rHS.jpg

Things are chugging right along here in the gray PNW.

I've been feeding the seedlings CNS17 at 7.5ml/gal and it has worked out quite well. Minimal algae on the rockwool cubes, which is an improvement over previous grows where I'd use 10ml/gal when the first true leaves start growing. 

Here are the kids. I think the annuums are ready for their 5 gal Kratkys.
1P7qxg8.jpg

Close-up on one of the cubes. This guy is definitely ready, with roots shooting out from all over the cube:
zedP9g1.jpg

The variegated Jalapeno is showing its true colors now. Really dig how white the leaves are:
wiXXHK1.jpg

And a question for y'all. This is a Carolina Reaper - with some messed up leaves for some reason. Does anybody have any idea what this might be? Each pair of leaves seems to be better than the previous one.
ouB92mS.jpg

On the more mature plants, we finally are starting to get some color on the Numex Twilight:
anxjYab.jpg

And we're probably closer to identifying the Mystery Pepper, with 2 upright pods so far:
wCeWpQK.jpg

+1 Neil!

I think the Carolina Reaper may grow out of its leaf problem.
During this stage of the grow, some of my plants do weird
things, then straighten out, sort of like they catch a cold or
something and then get over it. Usually my interventions
don't seem to make much difference!

dragonsfire said:
Looking Great !

Thanks DF! Right now it's still manageable - in a few weeks I'll have a green wall in the storage/guest room/office/grow room!

PaulG said:
+1 Neil!

I think the Carolina Reaper may grow out of its leaf problem.
During this stage of the grow, some of my plants do weird
things, then straighten out, sort of like they catch a cold or
something and then get over it. Usually my interventions
don't seem to make much difference!

That's what I'm hoping for Paul. When I see leaves like that the first thing that comes to my mind is Broad Mites, haha. Let's see how the next set of leaves develops. I do have another cube with a reaper - one of these will go to my MIL labeled as "Mystery Pepper".

Things are now getting to the next stage in the grow...

Annuums have been moved to their big boy containers. I won't have to do anything to them for about a month. Pictured here are Antep Aci Dolma, Zapotec Jalapeno, Paquime and Yum-Yum:
fgjQwZq.jpg

The Variegated Jalapeno has also been moved to a 1gal Kratky. I'm wondering how this plant will do in a hydro setup. The next set of leaves is going to be all white. Super cool.
HT5DIZn.jpg

Some other plants were starting to grow a bit tall and wide for the other plants still going through air-pruning. So they've been moved to Solo Cups in a mix of Coco/Perlite/Worm castings. First time using this so we'll see how it goes. Pictured here are Paquime and Sugar Rush Stripey:
F2XqgNr.jpg

Here's the rest of the plants still air-pruning. Some of them will soon find a temporary home in Solo cups. 
fe0uCYm.jpg

Purple Thunder. I think the leaves are not as dark as they used to be, but it is still an awesome plant:
yCdDCtk.jpg

The Carolina Reaper from my last post seems to be getting out of whatever funk it was in, just as Paul predicted. New leaves are much better looking:
zxXY83S.jpg

And last, but not least, the pods on the Mystery Pepper are getting bigger. Seems like it's going to be a good producer. Anybody care to try to ID this guy? I know it's still a bit early, but it would be interesting to see what people think:
SPQsp2p.jpg

Hey HM.  Great to see your variegated jalapeno in its new home.  I think growing it in Kratky may really help with its vigor especially with that much white showing already.  This could be a really cool one - looking forward to seeing how it does for you. 

That mystery pepper is a curious one.  What are you thinking?  I could see an argument for frutescens (especially in that pic from 2/6, above), but it's seeming more like a clustering annuum to me in the more recent pic - maybe something along the lines of a santaka?   How lengthy are those pods getting?

PaulG said:
Looks like things are moving right along, HM!
Glad to see the C. Reaper pulled out of it's funk.

Thanks Paul, yes, so far it's been manageable given that the plants are still small and most of them are still in their rockwool cubes. I know the time will come when I will run out of space. Hopefully by that time I can transfer some of these plants to my MIL, who likes to garden. 

I'm also glad the Reaper is showing signs of improvement. I've been wanting to send some really hot powder to some friends. Hopefully this will be it!

CaneDog said:
Hey HM.  Great to see your variegated jalapeno in its new home.  I think growing it in Kratky may really help with its vigor especially with that much white showing already.  This could be a really cool one - looking forward to seeing how it does for you. 

That mystery pepper is a curious one.  What are you thinking?  I could see an argument for frutescens (especially in that pic from 2/6, above), but it's seeming more like a clustering annuum to me in the more recent pic - maybe something along the lines of a santaka?   How lengthy are those pods getting?

Thanks CD! And thanks again for the seeds! Yes, it will be interesting to see how the V. Jalap develops in Kratky. Definitely looking forward to see this one through.

The long Mystery Pepper Pod is about 1.5 inches long so far. There are anywhere from 2 - 8 flower buds per node, so this is definitely a clustering pepper. I kinda feel lucky for this since I will cross it with the Zapotec Jalapeno when the time comes to see if I can create a clustering jalapeno. I was going to do that in my next grow with a Takanotsume, but since I now have what is supposed to be a good tasting pepper, that is an added bonus. 

Those Santaka pods seem like a good fit. There are just so many similar pods that I think it's going to be hard to pin down exactly what kind of pepper this is!

Yep, getting specific can be really tough, especially in the Thai pepper space.  I find the clustering peppers cool, especially once the clusters really fill in.  I'm planning to drop some seeds of this guy in a couple weeks - http://biogentohum.com/urun-aci-CICek-yukari-bakan-cIn-bIber-1633.html

Now if you can produce the Cluster Jalapeno, that will be something!

CaneDog said:
Yep, getting specific can be really tough, especially in the Thai pepper space.  I find the clustering peppers cool, especially once the clusters really fill in.  I'm planning to drop some seeds of this guy in a couple weeks - http://biogentohum.com/urun-aci-CICek-yukari-bakan-cIn-bIber-1633.html

Now if you can produce the Cluster Jalapeno, that will be something!

Those are some neat clusters on that Aci Cicek CD - btw, where's your glog?!?!

Heh, a clustering Jalapeno would be pretty awesome. However, I was just thinking how cool a multi-colored Thai, or a clustering Twilight would be... It would be really neat to see all the different colors in each cluster of peppers... I'll see if I have time to attempt that cross this weekend.

HeatMiser said:

Those are some neat clusters on that Aci Cicek CD - btw, where's your glog?!?!
+1 -  I need inspiration  :D 

I'll see if I have time to attempt that cross this weekend.
Yes, drop everything else!

I am feeling a bit left out of the fun, so I'll have to to get my act together.  Looking at the glogs I've see so far there're going to be some outstanding grows to follow.  Really impressive stuff.  Time's been hard to come by, but I dropped a variety of wilds, baccatum, chinense, rocotos, and frutescens starting 6 days ago. Annuum will have to cool their heels a bit longer.

First to pop was this afternoon.  PaulG's Aji Amarillo at day 6 -

Quick update -

Things are going smoothly over here. Like Paul suggested, I dropped everything else last weekend and worked on crossing the Twilight and Mystery Pepper :rofl: . I made 2 crosses each way for a total of 4 attempts. No blossoms have dropped yet so hopefully we'll get those pods to set. 

Here's one of the crosses, this is Mystery Pepper x Twilight. Seems like the pod has set:
5aPfe7l.jpg

Numex Twilight - still waiting for more color, but it's starting to fill up with pods:
Vb7hIP2.jpg

Coco plants seem to be liking their new home so far:
NvD2lRa.jpg

And the ones still in rockwool cubes. There are at least a couple that I'll be moving to solo cups this weekend:
oUKHbyT.jpg

DownRiver said:
Plants are looking awesome HM!

Thanks DR! I'm really crossing my fingers. The two or three times I've tried growing outdoors the plants didn't do that great. Hopefully this time will be different!!

Things have been a little busy this past week. I've moved all the remaining rockwool cubes to Solo Cups or their 5 Gal Kratkys since they started to develop some algae. 

Here's what things look like at the moment:

Solo Cups - some of these will go to my MIL as soon as I run out of room under that light. The Paquime (bottom left) already had a haircut.
wJj5rsL.jpg

The Variegated Jalapeno is taking its sweet time to grow. It's a really stunning plant 
jnXKvMk.jpg

5 Gal Kratky Group 1 - Paquime, Antep Aci Dolma and Zapotec Jalapeno. They all got a haircut this week:
4o6P15Q.jpg

5 Gal Kratky Group 2 - Yum Yum, Carolina Reaper and Fatalii. 
1FuCror.jpg

I know the Fatalii looks ridiculous right now in that big bucket. At some point it will take off
UxPmU3C.jpg

On the other 1 gal kratkys, all crosses between the Numex Twilight and the Mystery Pepper have set pods. Looking forward to seeing how those plants will turn out in a future grow.

Nice work, HM. That VJ with the white foliage
is really stunning.

Back