• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

hi im new to this, can someone help me with ID

ive decided to give chilli growing a go.
ive got some seeds to try..
capsicum annuum padron "tapas" .. spain
capsicum annuum "tabasco" .. mexico
capsicum twilight "twilight" .. south america

these should give me something to start with.. what do you think? are they ok for beginers.

ive also got my hands on some chilli's that i need ID'ing as i intend to dry them out and grow the seeds.
i only have the country of origin for each.

CIMG0784.jpg

all i know about this red chilli is its origin is "Zambia"

CIMG0785.jpg

all i know about this green chilli is its origin is "India"

also can someone guide me on the best way to dry these out so i can harvest the seeds..

thanks and a big hot hello to everyone

Welcome captain, Igrew one that looked liked the first pic and i lost the label to it, never did find out what they were. Just cut the pepper open and take the seeds out and put them on a paper plate for a couple of weeks. Set them somewhere warm and they will dry out quicker. When you think they are dry try to break one, if it bends and does not break it is not dry enough for storage. Also you do not need to dry them out to plant them now just for storage.

Dale

thepodpiper said:
Welcome captain, Igrew one that looked liked the first pic and i lost the label to it, never did find out what they were. Just cut the pepper open and take the seeds out and put them on a paper plate for a couple of weeks. Set them somewhere warm and they will dry out quicker. When you think they are dry try to break one, if it bends and does not break it is not dry enough for storage. Also you do not need to dry them out to plant them now just for storage.

Dale

awesome, i'll get them planted asap

hi there,

The red ones look like the cayenne i grew last year - a thick variety.

As for the green ones the look like 'Bird eye' which are sometimes called finger chillis.

The seeds in the green ones are very likely not to germinate as the pod is still imature.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Chris

I've grown cayenne a few years and they've always looked long and thin like in the second picture. I've never grown a cayenne that was as "fat" as the first picture. I guess there are different types, though. But I agree with Chris that those peppers in the second picture are not ripe. Maybe letting them sit in a paper bag for a few days will do the trick. The seeds will still develop in that process, won't they?

There are so many different varieties of peppers that it can be very difficult to ID one with just a picture. One thing to consider is that a lot of peppers grown for the grocery stores are hybrids, and as such the seeds might not produce peppers just like the ones you have.

The others are right about the green ones. The riper the pepper, the better the chances of getting viable seed from them.

Best seeds come from fresh ripe fruit. Dry the seeds on a paper towel for at least a couple of days in a non-humid environment. You can get viable seeds from green unripe peppers, but germination rates are lower.

first picture looks like the "Israeli Red" I grew last year...very pretty peppers, cayenne heat, fairly thick fleshed...got them from one of the members here but I don't remember who it was..

second picture looks like a PC-1...guessing that because of pod shape and origin...

AlabamaJack said:
first picture looks like the "Israeli Red" I grew last year...very pretty peppers, cayenne heat, fairly thick fleshed...got them from one of the members here but I don't remember who it was..

second picture looks like a PC-1...guessing that because of pod shape and origin...

noob question.....whats a pc-1???

Looks just like the PC-1's I grew last year. I harvested a ton of them...excellent peppers and flavor. I have an Indian friend at work that took some of the hundreds of peppers I harvested home to his family. His mother and father loved them so much they offered to come pick all the PC-1's I had...said they reminded them of back home in India. I had 14 of them planted for 2008 and I have about 29 of these PC-1s planted right now for the 2009 season. They actually turn a pretty cool orange, then red, but the Indian people like em green and grind them up raw into a paste.

Back