• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Highalt's 2012 Grow Log

I haven't made it to the super hot level yet, so not sure how interesting you guys will find this, but I like having one place to post all of my pictures throughout the season, so here goes.

2012 Preliminary Grow List:

Aji Yellow
Alma Paprika
Ancho Gigantia
Ancho San Luis
Barker (NuMex)
Big Jim (NuMex)
Black Hungarian
Chile de Arbol
Chile Hidalgo (don't actually have seeds for this one yet)
Chilhaucle Rojo
Chimayo
Cosa Arrugada
Costeno Amarillo
Fish
Fresno
Georgia Flame
Giant Szegedi
Habanero Chocolate
Habanero Peach
Hawaiian Sweet Hot
Inca Red Drop
Jalapeno 'Biker Billy' (The only hybrid on the list)
Jaloro
Japone
Jimmy Nardello
Lemon Drop
Melrose
NuMex Espanola Improved
NuMex Pinata (don't have seeds for this one yet either)
Patio Red Marconi
Piment 'd Espelette
Rain Forest
Rocotillo
Sante Fe Grande
Serrano Tampiqueno
Tollie's Sweet Italian

*Disclaimer - this list is subject to change ... hourly

I host an annual group pepper seed swap on another site, so I'm sure I'll probably add to this list once that gets going, but this is the bulk of what I plan to grow anyway. The problem with adding to this list isn't where to plant them, it's finding enough cat-free space indoors to start them all!

If you check out my post on early season Serrano substitutes you'll see I'm still looking for information on a few of the peppers I"m thinking of growing. It's so much better hearing from someone that has actually grown a variety, rather than going by a description on a seed vendor's website!

The habaneros may get started in the next couple of weeks, but I'll probably wait until February to start the rest. I'll be back with pictures once the seeds are in the dirt.

I was reading in a different thread that you only get like 12 inches of rain a year...

I feel like I should point out we've already had half that drop in the past two weeks!

Next month they are expecting about 9 inches.

ALSO I stole the top of the page from shane *happy dance*

Yeah, I feel like I spend half my summer watering plants. Have to say though, I'm pretty pleased with the whole soaker hose setup down at the community garden. Dirt is nice and moist under the surface several hours after the hoses run. I've cut the time I'm running it in half already. Not as big an issue here at the house because the soil is so much better, but over there the surface gets so hard and dry that top watering is ineffective, just runs off.

Probably a stupid question, but how do you guys know your post will be at the top of the page before it's posted?

Took a few pictures today, but the sun was so bright that they are a little over exposed. Just wanted to show how much is blooming now.

Jimmy Nardello (in container)

JimmyNardello6-8-12.jpg

Chimayo

Chimayo6-8-12.jpg

Rain Forest

RainForestbloom6-8-12.jpg

Overwintered Pasilla Bajio

PasillaBajio6-8-12.jpg

This Fresno is not blooming yet, but look how loaded down with buds it is!

FresnoinEarthbox6-8-12.jpg

This Melrose has a bud way down towards the bottom of the stem, plus a bunch more on top. Do you see it?

Melrose6-8-12.jpg

Okay, this one's not blooming yet, but look how the Fish is bushing out. I just love the variegation on this one. The other seedling didn't have any variegation, so I gave it away.

Fish6-8-12.jpg

And last but not least, looky looky, my first pod on the Black Hungarian!

BlackHungarian-firstpod6-8-12.jpg

Apologize for the stubby calloused fingertips, but you can't play the guitar with fingernails.

I'll try and remember the camera when I go by the comm. garden in a bit. Hope everyone has a great weekend! Planning to go on a date with the hubby to celebrate our anniversary. Not even going to tell you which one, 'cause then you'll know how old I am, LOL!

Looks great - blk hungarian flowers/pod - woot!

There are 20 posts on each page. The number of posts listed in
the topic is one less than the actual # of posts.
Have fun!

Growout is looking good! Have a good time out with your hubby. Won't tell you both to be good, but you be careful... ;)

Planning to go on a date with the hubby to celebrate our anniversary. Not even going to tell you which one, 'cause then you'll know how old I am, LOL!
You have fun, Bonnie! Congrats on your 5th!

;)

Uh ... yeah, that's it, it's our 5th! :rofl:

I remembered the camera, but the winds are gusting around 38 mph, so most of the pictures didn't turn out. There are pods on the TAM Jalapeno, one of the Aji Chinchi Amarillos, and this one - Aji Angelo.

AjiAngelopod6-8-12.jpg

The winds are supposed to continue through tomorrow, really, again?! Then it looks like a cool front is coming through, since the low Sunday night is supposed to get down to 39 degrees! It is June, right???

Looks Great Bonnie! Love the Black Hungarian. I'll be watching your glog to find out how they taste. Congratulations on you anniversery! I have one this year too.

Mike

I just love the variegation on that fish pepper! Liking the varieties you have going, the plants don't seem to mind your weather too much. Keep the pics coming! :)

I have two fish peppers going as well. I finally have a pod starting to show some stripes. You are so far ahead of the game podding up already in your climate is amazing! Sounds as though you're really dialing it in! I have a few varieties to share with you for next season that I think will do well and produce early for you...

I am 9 days out from my 18th anniversary...ughhhhh. Hope yours was amazing!

Shane

I have two fish peppers going as well. I finally have a pod starting to show some stripes. You are so far ahead of the game podding up already in your climate is amazing! Sounds as though you're really dialing it in! I have a few varieties to share with you for next season that I think will do well and produce early for you...

I am 9 days out from my 18th anniversary...ughhhhh. Hope yours was amazing!

Shane

I'd love to do a trade later in the season, once my pods are rollin' in. I started things earlier this year, which helped put me ahead of schedule.

Even though you have kids that are older than mine, I got you beat on the # of years married! Of course, we got married when I was 5, LOL!!! We had a perfect evening out last night. Went to a wonderful Spanish/Italian restaurant in Basalt, CO (not too far from Aspen) called the Tempranillo. http://tempranillorestaurant.com/spain_italy_food/ The town had some kind of antique car show going on when we first arrived, and the weather was awesome, so we sat out on the patio. Later on, a guy played classical guitar in the courtyard. The food was excellent, best tiramisu I've ever had! Highly recommend the place if you're ever out this way! Couldn't have asked for a better evening!

Now to catch up on things in the garden...

Okay, totally not pepper related, but I harvested some rhubarb this morning, and turned it into this:

StrawberryRhubarbJam6-11-12.jpg

Strawberry Rhubarb Jam

There's even enough leftover to make a cobbler or pie for tonight's dinner. :dance:

Okay, totally not pepper related, but I harvested some rhubarb this morning, and turned it into this:
Strawberry Rhubarb Jam. There's even enough leftover to make a cobbler or pie for tonight's dinner. :dance:
Oh Yeah Baby!!! Strawberries are in full swing here too. My wife made a crumb crust German-style Strawberry-Rhubarb pie this weekend when my in-laws came to visit. Always a crowd pleaser...

Well, my strawberry patch is small and my younger kids keep eating them off the plant before I even know they are ripe, so I had to buy them. I got a real good deal though. A friend is part of a program here called Bountiful Baskets, which is kind of like a co-op. Anyway, I got 4 lbs. for $4. That would have cost me around $10 at the grocery stores here!

I like the fact that they think they are being sneaky, but I'm the winner because they are eating fruit without being asked!

Project #2 in the kitchen today = Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler

StrawberryRhubarbCobbler6-11-12.jpg

Time to get outside and check on the peppers!!!

So I went to the comm. garden to check on things, and brought some diatomaceous earth with me to sprinkle on the beans, since something has been eating on them. What I found wasn't more bug damage, it was frost damage!!! Several plants had black, mushy leaves, and at first I was in disbelief. So of course I'm checking every single plant out there, and I only found one Peach Habanero with a few of its top leaves ruined. There were also a couple tiny cucumber sprouts that got hit. Everything that was affected was on the far east side of the plot, and no one else's plots got hit. I guess I should be thankful, a few degrees cooler, and it could have been a total loss. The low last night = 37 degrees. Last year, on this same date, we had a hail storm that caused some damage, but this is the latest frost damage since I moved here.

So I went to the comm. garden to check on things, and brought some diatomaceous earth with me to sprinkle on the beans, since something has been eating on them. What I found wasn't more bug damage, it was frost damage!!! Several plants had black, mushy leaves, and at first I was in disbelief. So of course I'm checking every single plant out there, and I only found one Peach Habanero with a few of its top leaves ruined. There were also a couple tiny cucumber sprouts that got hit. Everything that was affected was on the far east side of the plot, and no one else's plots got hit. I guess I should be thankful, a few degrees cooler, and it could have been a total loss. The low last night = 37 degrees. Last year, on this same date, we had a hail storm that caused some damage, but this is the latest frost damage since I moved here.
Man... that's what I call living on the edge! Do you think it'll be warmer after this?

By the middle of the week, the lows are actually supposed to break the 50 degree mark, so I think/hope that is the last of it.

The good news is that I live up on a mesa, so the garden here at the house was fine. The community garden is only a mile away, but it's about 125' lower in elevation, and the frost always seems to settle down there.

okay...a pepper log that makes you hungry,.....some people might want to trade home made hot sauce for strawbarb jam..REALLY...I'm just sayin.Didn't check your location-but now I'm really impressed...if your near Aspen.I used to live in Winterpark....and I would've never suspected pepper growing successfully up there(please note that practically everywhere is up there for me now...at a towering 8' above sea level-so that is one thing I :dance: can't be wrong about!)....and I really meant REALLY!
AND YOU SAID:[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Even though you have kids that are older than mine, I got you beat on the # of years married! [/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]I got you both beat!....but you win at the youngest married angle :drooling:[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]oh..yeah- the plants look great![/background]

Back