• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

HillBilly Jeff's 2014 Adventure - Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!!

HillBilly Jeff said:

Just throwing this up here to plan out my list for next year.  Looking at some changes to my grow next year.

Bodeen said:
Just throwing this up here to plan out my list for next year.  Looking at some changes to my grow next year.

Nice haul on the perchies

You've got a stellar grow coming on.  And with that many, I'd be tempted to cobble up a little shade house to break them in to the sun.
It's gonna be a busy month for several folks around here.

That chard looks ready to eat :D
You got plenty of time to direct sow. Mine didn't do too well last year. I'm skipping it for the moment. Maybe fall. 

I hadn't planned on turkey hunting this season as there aren't many running the farm and I am way too busy.  This evening, I take a walk out back and out in the field is a tom and a hen.  I know they are going to head to the other woods.

I literally run to the house, get the shotgun (not the AK) jump in the truck and drive back around to that woods to head them off.  I walk through the woods out to the field that they are in.  There is a small ditch , running north and south, between us, but offers little cover.  So I crawl 150 yards to the ditch and set up.  There is also a ditch that runs east and west on the north end of the field they are in.  The field to the north is the back forty.  They come down to the culvert and cross there and head north to a big cottonwood tree to cross over to the wood on my neighbor's place.  

I decide to move closer to that crossing and the only way to do it is to walk 50 yards through knee deep muck to the cover of an oak tree, which will give me a twenty yard shot to the crossing.  I don't want to crowd it too much so the two hens in the lead don't bust me.  Halfway between the crossing and the other end of the field is a wash out.  A hen jumps the ditch there.....crap.  She crosses back over.  Good, they are going to come to me.  After much pacing back and forth, they finally cross at the wash out.  Once the two hens clear and I see the tom cross, I head down the ditch 20 yards to the crossing as the birds will kitty corner it over to the ditch running north and south along the west edge of the forty.  

I come up to the top of the ditch and see the hens 60 yards out and getting farther away.  They notice me, but it doesn't appear that they are too concerned.  Out into view comes the tom.  50 yards.  I adjust for the shot, he peers in my direction, I shoot.  Dust flies everywhere.  Apparently when the field was planted there was a bit of a rise in the corner and I wasn't quite high enough.  I am not sure how much of my shot hit the dirt, but I know one tom that is grateful that it was there.

Not the results I was looking for, but it was nice to see I can still think enough like a turkey to get in range.  

I am a bit worried about how viny they have gotten and hardening them off in the wind we have been having.  They might go outside to start the process tomorrow.  Give me an opportunity to sort and see exactly what I have and where I plan on putting everything.

Next on the agenda is putting up the front garden fence.  It is going to be a bit more work to install this than it was when I was just using rabbit fence, but this should look a lot better....if it goes as planned.

Got more HBJ plants ripening and the one HBJ3 plants has thrown a red pod.  Guess I won't be saving any seeds from any of the 3's this season.  I don't want to even plant it, but I can't throw it out, so I will probably plant my HBJ over in a raised bed and the HBJ3 plants in the back garden.  Either that or I will have to give the plants away to people I know won't be tempted to save seeds out of them.

No fishing tomorrow, making a Sam's Club run.  

Do they make T joints for hoses?  I would think they would.  Plan is to put a T on each raised bed and then just a short piece of hose to connect them together.  Then I can either run a soaker or drip down each bed to water in one shot.

Hopefully some better updates tomorrow.

Nice Turkey story Jeff. Stalking them and getting a shot is the hardest part. Some of the most enjoyable deer hunts for me were rattling in nice bucks and playing with the grunt call. But those bucks, when they respond to a grunt, are pissed!

I wouldn't worry too much about the hardening, they lose their beauty for a while, but that's part of the game ;)

Cukes are showing some sunburn right now, but I am hoping they pull out of it soon.  Always a rough time of year.

Lettuce is hardening off as well.

10320467_10202147583081132_4859860506205997829_n.jpg

Looking good Jeff .

HillBilly Jeff said:

Do they make T joints for hoses?  I would think they would. 

I have a "Y" fitting. Don't know about "T" ones.

HillBilly Jeff said:

I literally run to the house, get the shotgun (not the AK)

Not the results I was looking for, but it was nice to see I can still think enough like a turkey to get in range.  

An AR wouldn't have had you doing all that work. Align your sights(or scope), take the shot, fill the freezer. :D

Jeff H said:
Looking good Jeff .

I have a "Y" fitting. Don't know about "T" ones.

An AR wouldn't have had you doing all that work. Align your sights(or scope), take the shot, fill the freezer. :D

Shotgun just has a bb sight on the front of it.  Old Stephens single shot.  Only turkey gun I've used.

The reference to the AK is the first turkey I shot in 09, I took several pictures with it and one was with an AK.  On an outdoor site a member liked to give me grief, so I posted the AK pic with a pic of my tag.  I knew he would question it and go on a rant.  I get back from mushroom hunting that week and the DNR is sitting in my driveway wanting to look at the turkey lol.  I was like do you seriously think I would poach an animal and then post a pic of my tag?  And turkey hunting with an AK would never draw any attention either lol.

It was fun times.

Got the East end of the front garden fenced in.  Need to do the front and it will be ready for some show and tell garden plants!!!  Naked Ladies on the outside for border.  The front will be outside bordered with marigolds.  Should look nice if I can get the front as level as I did this end.

10277836_10202153722754620_8836917450958410266_n.jpg

Tepin Lemon Drop cross is starting to color.

10298839_10202154052602866_3500600581013074076_n.jpg

Turkey Patty Melts for dinner.

10345850_10202153795596441_1100589845584432307_n.jpg

Today's agenda is going to be start the hardening off of the OW plants and perhaps some of the gallon pots.  I am not going to like the way they look once they go in the ground as they are so pretty now, but they will come around soon and look better.

Also planting beans, kohlrabi, and peas today.  Perhaps some other things as well.  Have to see what all I have.  Will wait a week or so on cukes.

Might get some of the front fence done as well.

I just hope my broccoli type plants all do well when they get in the dirt...if it stays hot like this, they might be F'd.

Back