• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

HillBilly Jeff's 2014 Adventure - Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!!

HillBilly Jeff said:

Just throwing this up here to plan out my list for next year.  Looking at some changes to my grow next year.

Bodeen said:
Just throwing this up here to plan out my list for next year.  Looking at some changes to my grow next year.

TrentL said:
Didn't mean to turn your glog sad, man. But looking at your signature line "enjoy today for tomorrow is not guaranteed" it seems at some point you've already figured out the only truth we have in this life... you get right now... tomorrow is not guaranteed.

Look on the bright side. You got your "heavy lifting" work done already with those raised gardens. Planting out is easy compared to all that work you just did. And once they're out.. it's up to mother nature to nurture them. So work, make money, and enjoy the harvest when it happens. :)
I unliked your post about your friend passing. I must have accidentally liked it when I was scrolling down on my iphone at work. Don't want anybody to think I'm some kind of sicko. I to like Jeff's signature line. Live by it every day. I'm sorry for your loss.

Well, it's probably why a lot of us ended up on the board "TheHotPepper". 

We like to feel alive, good food, good friends, good times... first time you bite in to an ultra-hot you KNOW you are alive with crystal clarity... because... DAMN... the BURN! :)

Not everyone is like us. 

Some people like to be safe and content and eat tame foods and not take risks.

But life isn't a padded room.

Life is full of bumps, bruises, downturns, good times, bad times... sometimes shit happens, it's what you do with yourself the next morning that matters. If you wake up and say "oh man life sucks" and start the day out with your feet dragging and your tail between your legs.. well, life WILL suck.

But if you get up, shrug off the last miserable day, get your ass motivated, kick ass and take names and enjoy every moment... well, that's living. And maybe the day will turn out pretty damn good.

Some people think I'm an asshole because I'm blunt, and honest, and speak what's on my mind.

But I'd rather tell them what I think today - because I might not see them again, and if something needs said, well, better damn well say it.  (Or do it!)

I live with no regrets.

So life took a left turn for Hillbilly Jeff. At least he'll have his plants to nurture and mellow him back out after all those long hours. :)
EDIT: And thanks for the condolences. My friend's passing was a loss but it was also a wake up call. He was 3 years older than me. Now, every day I look at my children and think ... "what can I do TODAY for my family". 

Good thoughts, Trent.

Hey, Jeff - those Manzano are to die for.  They will have six foot
long branches by the end of summer, I bet.  I'm hoping the third
time is a charm for my pubes    :shocked:

Like those beds, too!  those will pay big dividends, brother!

Onion plants are in the hardening off phase, so I am able to move some peppers to their old spot and free up space in grow room.

10269628_10202087432457404_2608406886466747362_n.jpg

My four trays of tomatoes were trying to cling to each of petty bad when I was watering them, so I spread them out more.  So much for making more room.  Things are spread out more, but everything is stuffed still.

No more planting peppers so early.  I have plants hardening off, I have the dining room full of OW, I have the grow room stuffed, I have the basement kitchen table covered, and I have a 6 foot table covered behind the stairs.

....its settled...next year, the living room has to go :)

HillBilly Jeff said:
Onion plants are in the hardening off phase, so I am able to move some peppers to their old spot and free up space in grow room.

10269628_10202087432457404_2608406886466747362_n.jpg

My four trays of tomatoes were trying to cling to each of petty bad when I was watering them, so I spread them out more.  So much for making more room.  Things are spread out more, but everything is stuffed still.

No more planting peppers so early.  I have plants hardening off, I have the dining room full of OW, I have the grow room stuffed, I have the basement kitchen table covered, and I have a 6 foot table covered behind the stairs.

....its settled...next year, the living room has to go :)

You know Jeff, a 1000watt MH bulb would look real nice hanging from your dining room chandelier so you could jam more plants in there. Will that save the living room or not?

Water, Water, Water....it is all I've done since I got home from work.  Still have one set of peppers to water, Got two trays bottom watering as I type, and then I have some nons and the maters left to go.Three trays in the big grow table I think are okay.

I will be so glad when these puppies find their way into the sunshine for good.

Brought some 7 pot burgs to work today and made myself an omelet.  A female coworker wanted to try my peach hab omelet yesterday, but missed out.  So I asked her if she wanted to try this one.  She said, not with as red as your face is (it was hotter than I remember).  She did give in and tried it.  Then proceeded to cuss me lmao.

I did have the burps with this pepper and could taste it hours later.  Not something I care for, but it is a marvelous ride.  Hoping I don't cramp up tonight.

Nice beds, Jeff!

Ya know, there isn't much semblance between a peach hab and those fierce Burg 7s!! ;) BTW, my Burg 7s from your seed are TALL, BUSHY children. Did they bush and tall-up that much for you?

Also, we call those hybrid mofos--white bass and striper--white perch. (But I like Wiper better and will introduce that term.) I know a lot of people call a crappie a white perch but not around here: we curse those fish. They can get pretty large, boney, take out vein, some say, but I tend to want to shoot them (but don't). Throw them back and listen to some other person cuss end of their line. 

Am sorry about the 6 day week--lack of fishing, gardening time--but I have full faith that you'll accomplish both. Take care, hon!

Bushy plant for sure.

Wiper is a man made cross between a white bass and a striped bass.  There are also white perch, but they are usually treated as trash up here. 

Going fishing Tuesday on my off day,  Hope to finally get into a nice mess of eyes.  Calling for thunderstorms, but I will take them as we could use the rain here.  

Temps are going to be on the cool side for highs, but lows in the 40s....so I can live with that.

Take care!!!

Got out fishing today and it was blowing hard.  Did manage to catch 5 bass, a walleye, and a nice 13 inch crappie for Annie.  Since she didn't make the drive up, I had to release it however.  Next time.

Got some nons out soaking up the sun.  Won't be doing peppers in this wind and its about a week or so early on them and the tomatoes.  

Going to try to catch up on some glogs this evening.

10177960_10202118255147952_5384300716084737598_n.jpg

Mmm.. damn Jeff you make me want to go fishing!! I haven't had time to get out this year though. 

Crappie are good eating. Just got to catch a lot of them to make it worthwhile. :)

My mom's boyfriend caught more bass last time we went out. Client of mine has a private lake that was overpopulated. He said "I need 150 bass pulled out of here."

I said "I'll be there in the morning."

We caught all of these inside of 2 hours. It wasn't even fair.

dSh1piYh.jpg

Nomnomnom

6NCZPfKh.jpg

Yeah I need to get my ass out and go fishing.

Jeff betcha gotta be getting antsy to get those raised beds filled up with peppers.
Looks like a few more days of this counter-clockwise weather pattern, then back into the 60's next week......hmmm, that sounded nostalgic...lol

Nice looking Manzano's, are they flowering ?

Well I have to say I just got my fish fry fix stopping here.....unfortunately I'm real hungry and may have to stop at the fish market to curve my desires.

Back