• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

HillBilly Jeff's 2014 Adventure - Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!!

HillBilly Jeff said:

Just throwing this up here to plan out my list for next year.  Looking at some changes to my grow next year.

Bodeen said:
Just throwing this up here to plan out my list for next year.  Looking at some changes to my grow next year.

What do your temps look like later this week Jeff?

We've got lows in the lower 40's here Thurs & Fri. Thinking I should bring my pepper plants in to the garage for a couple nights.

Last year when it got down in the lower 40's I had big time leaf drop and it stunted the plants that were in the ground; they never really did recover 100%.

My forecast is about the same.  I've been getting them as much sun and wind as I can in the garage and will try to get them out, but that is some task with what I have now.  I wish I still had a hay wagon.  I'd load it up and pull it out in the morning and then back in later.  One shot all plants.

My fishing universe is now back in sync.  Thought I was going to have my limit in under an hour, but that last fish took 4 hours to get to bite.

10303803_10202193179101004_7216564900573647859_n.jpg

I feel your pain. I have 35 10x20's sitting outside in the shade right now and about 60 pots. It's about a 30 yard walk to the garage each trip. When I moved them out of the basement grow room it was an even longer excursion. The next day I could barely twist my upper body when I woke up, back hurt so damn bad.

Guess I got soft over the winter. :)

I wasn't sore after all the trips I made, but gallon pots made it a pain.  Glad they weren't all 3 gallons filled with dirt like my OW are.  

Next year they are started later and I will be keeping them in 3 1/2s.....I hope.

Tepin x Lemon Drop.

This is an odd little pepper.  Very few seeds.  The aroma gave me a hint of Brazilian Starfish/Rain Forest/ Bishop's Hat familiar smell.  The flesh of the pepper had absolutely no heat to it whatsoever, but the placenta did.  The heat worked on the tongue, but especially on the lips.  And the outside of the lips, which is odd.  I don't care for lip burn, so I know I didn't get it on my lip. Right side of lip is where I felt it the most, and that is the side of the nose that had some sniffles.  Almost had some hair sweat with it.

This is what makes it odd, other than no heat in flesh, the heat wasn't as hot as a cayenne to me.  But it has a different effect.  Perhaps its the lip burn that throws me off.

Maybe different pods will act like one or the other parent....that doesn't sound right though.  30-50 K for lemon drop sounds about right on this pepper, but it doesn't burn like a LD.  There should be some added tepin kick. 

I will definitely be doing this review again later in the year with a more natural pod.

10373984_10202194850022776_308736113945952843_n.jpg

10271532_10202194849702768_8391902992042130599_n.jpg

The chard, spinach, and kale direct sow.  The three kale at the far end OW in the garden.

10371967_10202199485218653_8372117530296822689_n.jpg

Got two of the three Cipolini varieties in the front garden, the gold coin and red.

10369725_10202199486498685_8285735291889971946_n.jpg

The sets are really taking off.

10363659_10202199487058699_7584211010429643310_n.jpg

Overflow onions going at the end of my hobby shop.  Also the third variety of Cipolini onions.

10306744_10202199485778667_8054553648204468747_n.jpg

All that is left to transplant of the onions are three kinds of bunching onions.

I should at the very least get a taste of the cipolini this year.

Garden looking good Jeff!

A ton of Onions there. When do you harvest them?

A lot of mine have fallen over, early this year, but no sign of the tops turning brown yet. I usually see this 30 day from now.

Have a great week!

The next three days will have lows in the mid thirties.  Bought some plastic to protect the blooms on the strawberries.  What thickness does everyone use for their hoops and how wide do you get for a 4 feet wide raised bed?  I think I read you all use 10 feet long pvc for the hoops.

I used 4 mil plastic. I bought 12' wide plastic planning on the 10' lengths of PVC. The 10' pieces made a 6' wide hoop. If they're warm they should do the bend, but you may have to use a 45° joint at the top.

If you use the 45°, I'm thinking less materials will be needed regarding length of PVC and width of plastic.

HillBilly Jeff said:
It seems  like the onions I started inside doubled in size in a week outside.  Amazing the difference.

That is a true statement. The inside onions have performed fantastic outside for me. They have been out for a month or so and the tops of some of mine are almost as big as the green onions that you buy at the grocery store. Almost. Of course, no bulbs yet, but it is amazing how much better they do in the sun.

Looks like I will be running some hoops this fall and next spring for sure.  Got some research to do now.  Got an idea on how I am going to build them, but there isn't anything wrong with looking for something better or easier.

Calling for a possible low of 34 tonight.  Covering the newly up beans with hay mulch and putting some heat in the garages for the peppers and tomatoes.  This should be the worst of it, with tomorrow being hump day.  

Should be in the dirt next week.  Excited that I can finally organize my plants and get a complete tally on what I got.

I did break the top off a limo rojo the other day, but I think I have more.  It was really weak knee'd and when I moved it, I moved too fast and it popped.  

Stay warm everyone!!!

You know I was thinking (scarey huh?) about the Strawberries. We never cover them, even if it hits the mid 20's. It never phases them. I will add the time spent in the 20's is just a few hours.

Enjoy the weekend!

Back