• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

HillBilly Jeff's 2014 Adventure - Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!!

HillBilly Jeff said:

Just throwing this up here to plan out my list for next year.  Looking at some changes to my grow next year.

Bodeen said:
Just throwing this up here to plan out my list for next year.  Looking at some changes to my grow next year.

Not quite the taste I was looking for.  I think the glaze overpowered the natural sweetness of these onions.  Going to try some in some refrigerator pickles later and see how they turn out.

10628317_10202801416026547_7579416799826391622_n.jpg

HillBilly Jeff said:
Colorado home of the golden trout!!!!  State record walleye is 18 pounds!!!  And the hunting you all have out there.  Spicy elk sausage for breakfast!!!

Didn't go fishing today as squirrel season opened on the 15th and this was my first opportunity to morning hunt....Bagged one.
I'm closer to Utah. The lakes that have them, I believe are on the Denver side of the Continental Divide. 4hrs from here. We mainly have rainbow trout, and brown. There is some lakes if your up for the hike that have cut throat trout. The yellow perch are great eating, but have been on the small size. I recently found out there is some good channel cats in the Colorado river toward the Utah border. Probably taste good beings it's flowing river and not a pond or lake. I haven't done any hunting here. I know enough people that give me meat. I might try for a leftover deer tag. Elk are a little harder to harvest then the mule deer. Mules aren't as skittish. That sausage looks good. LOL. All this talk about fish and meat has got me hungry. Lunch time.

Anyway. Good luck with the hunting.

I am off work early Friday,this weekend is all about making smoked summer sausage and natural cased pork brats for labor day weekend and all the football that kicks off.That hot sausage looks great,nice and juicy. :P

Yum!

Sausage, fresh home made sausage is the best, and I've been slacking. Too many things to do. I have a couple of 50-50 venison-pork recipes if you're interested. And a killer dried sausage recipe. The dried recipe uses a store bought mix that is to die for, it's made in San Antonio, and everyone that's ever tried it simply loves it.

Devv said:
Yum!

Sausage, fresh home made sausage is the best, and I've been slacking. Too many things to do. I have a couple of 50-50 venison-pork recipes if you're interested. And a killer dried sausage recipe. The dried recipe uses a store bought mix that is to die for, it's made in San Antonio, and everyone that's ever tried it simply loves it.

I am up for any recipe for sausage!!!

You got a lot, A LOT, of good stuff goin' on up there, Jeff.
Blueberries. You ought to try a hot sauce with them. A BBQ joint down here, pairs them with chipolte to great affect.
I think some of my J Nard seed came from you and I got a cross in them. A REALLY good cross. One plants has thrown out some huge, almost flat pods that are very nice. Cipollinis look nice. I had trouble with the Boretannas wanting to divide before the tops died.

Looking good H Jeff. It's been a bit of time since I've been here so I had some catching up to do.

Pod harvests look great. I'm getting some bugs eating holes in pods too. Now I'll know what to look out for.

Love the onion harvest. How many total? Looks like about a hundred?  My biggest issue with the onions is that I don't have a root cellar, so I really don't have anywhere to store them. Fight now, they are all tied in bundles and just sitting in the corner in the kitchen, but that is wearing thin on the wife. Need to find a place to put them.

Sausage looks good.

I giggle every year you say that you are done with Lanterns. You always keep them for one reason or another. :D Funny thing is that they are always on my list too. For one reason or another, they always end up making the cut.  Although this might be the last year for me.... :liar: :rofl: :rofl:

JJJessee said:
You got a lot, A LOT, of good stuff goin' on up there, Jeff.
Blueberries. You ought to try a hot sauce with them. A BBQ joint down here, pairs them with chipolte to great affect.
I think some of my J Nard seed came from you and I got a cross in them. A REALLY good cross. One plants has thrown out some huge, almost flat pods that are very nice. Cipollinis look nice. I had trouble with the Boretannas wanting to divide before the tops died.

I have the same cross in one of my Jimmies as well.  If I took better notes I would know what peppers were planted next to them last season lol.  Now I have to go out to the garden and give them a check to see if any are ripe.

I am wanting to do a blueberry sauce if my bottles EVER come in that I ordered in JULY.  Might be the last time I use this vendor.
Jeff H said:
Looking good H Jeff. It's been a bit of time since I've been here so I had some catching up to do.

Pod harvests look great. I'm getting some bugs eating holes in pods too. Now I'll know what to look out for.

Love the onion harvest. How many total? Looks like about a hundred?  My biggest issue with the onions is that I don't have a root cellar, so I really don't have anywhere to store them. Fight now, they are all tied in bundles and just sitting in the corner in the kitchen, but that is wearing thin on the wife. Need to find a place to put them.

Sausage looks good.

I giggle every year you say that you are done with Lanterns. You always keep them for one reason or another. :D Funny thing is that they are always on my list too. For one reason or another, they always end up making the cut.  Although this might be the last year for me.... :liar: :rofl: :rofl:

I didn't count the cipollini onions.  I have mine drying in my fishing/garden garage.  The balsamic vinegar was a bit much for that roasting.  I think I will use them on things like patty melts where the sweetness can shine through.  Going to throw some in a refrigerator pickle jar I have and see how they taste in a week.

Sausage needs less (NONE) cumin and some kind of zip other than heat.  Usually I can get the zip going with base/kosher/garlic, but this is essentially my first go at sausage.  It won't taste right to sausage eaters since it is turkey and has very little fat.  I still believe it is hard to make a good sausage without fat, but I am trying.

Good luck on keeping the lantern out.  I might just plant one in a pot next year by itself on the front porch just to see those pods hanging....I think it looks so kewl fully loaded. 

Tepin crossed with lemon drop pepper. First early pod was so so, this pod was 0 to 50 in a second. Aroma like a baccatum pepper and no noticeable flavor. Heat fades sort of fast. Would go good in Thai type dishes. I would have to say the pods are above cayenne heat level.  

10405440_10202808772450453_4172219784001121710_n.jpg

1554628_10202808772250448_6579656157353379983_n.jpg

OCD Chilehead said:
Tepin x lemon drop is one of my favorites. Smileyguy697 (Mike) sent me some. Great thick flesh thats sweet and spicy. On the grow list. Ver nice looking pod.

Do you want some seeds from the next generation?  I will be saving some of these.

Things are looking great Jeff! That turkey sausage looks delicious! Wish I had a recipe I could share, but the sausage I made at my last job was with a recipe using their seasoning, and I couldn't stand their seasoning. Too much salt and I can't stand MSG, which was one of the top ingredients. I have made my own buffalo/blue cheese sausage that came out great if you like that sort of thing. Might go good with the turkey.
Tepin x lemon drop looks great! Get to try my first ripe pod tomorrow after breakfast. Can't wait.

HillBilly Jeff said:
Do you want some seeds from the next generation?  I will be saving some of these.
Yeah! That would be great Jeff. I'll send a SASBE when your ready. I think I still have a address somewhere from when I bought powder. I'll get you a seed list just in case there's something you want.

Thanks Jeff

OCD Chilehead said:
Yeah! That would be great Jeff. I'll send a SASBE when your ready. I think I still have a address somewhere from when I bought powder. I'll get you a seed list just in case there's something you want.

Thanks Jeff

No need for an SASBE.  Might need to remind me and let me know all the different seeds you want.  

Back