beer Home Brew

that wheat beer is so so good......Tony was lucky I had to drive home or that 50 litres would be closer to 30 litres by now!!!!! :lol:

Roggenbier.

Roggenbier_mar101152x1728.jpg

Basicly a Dunkelweissen made with a large chunk of Rye malt. This makes it a bit oily in texture and the carbonation makes it fluffy in your mouth. A really nice beer!

Fermenter it with 3068 Whienstphaner strain.

Hey Nova........... did you ever make that stout?

Im Decoction mashing lots of wheat and pils malt now for a Weihenstephaner Vitus Weizenbock clone.

Yum Yum

anyone that does not do decoction for wheat beers is just missing out
I have to rack a chocolate cream milk stout to the secondary to add the vanilla beans, starting gravity was 1.083, FG was 1.037, which falls within my range of .035 to .040, so it worked perfectly

havent tasted it yet and its was kind of an experiment for me because ive never used lactose nor bittersweet chocolate, but hey we will see what happens

1.037 FG.............. far out.

lactose is a nasty in milk that cant be digested and i wont use it in beers. I actually buy lactose free milk for my dusghter and i like it too.

Im planning on a special bitter this weekend with floor malted TF Marius Otter, some crystal, EKG and will start at 1.036.

Well the chocolate milk stout tastes freakin amazing, but holy hell is it sweet

its sitting in the secondary now with 2 vanilla beans so we will see how that works out

brewed a belgian blonde 2 days ago, 5lbs marris otter, 5 lbs pilsner, 4oz aromatic, 4oz biscuit, 4oz munich, 2oz gambrinus honey, a pound of sugar, and then a pound of honey post flameouta

ive done this one before with fantastic results with just all pilsner as the base, but I love marris otter so I decided to switch it up a tad

and I only have one stout that I do on a regular basis and thats my Royal Raisin Stout

12.5% of delicious thick sludge full of raisins and molasses

Sheesh, now I have to research decoction mashing to see what the fuss is about. I'm on batch #2 of hefeweizen. It's a partial extract recipe, where I steep a couple lb of grains for an hour at nearly 70c for an hour. Been wanting to make the move to all grain for a while now but just haven't bit the bullet. The first batch of hefe disappeared very quickly though and I barely drank any of it. My friends loved it. Even had a few do a blind taste test and 2/3 chose mine as being tastier than our store bought variety :)

Well its not necessary to decoct, in fact I wouldnt even recommend taking the hassle to do it unless you have perfected in your mind your specific recipe you like to brew, and then just doing it to see the difference

decoction mashing is pretty specific if you want repeatability

On another note

Working at a brewery now part time, Appalachian Brewing Company here in PA

20 hours a week plus the bar managing job and the homebrew shop makes for one busy beer whore

Id have to agree with the don't bother docoction mashing thing. Especially with a wheat...... temp tests and lengths can affect flavour profile of the yeast used...... wheats are bloody tricky to get right. hard to get right and easy to get wrong........ my weizenbock i just made............. i got it wrong and ended up with a glass full of cloves.

63 deg for 45 min, then infuse to 71 deg for 15 is a winner for a weisen. 3068 at 20 deg for a good bananna hit............. best summer beer there is.

I would have to say.......... the two hardest styles i have found to perfect are English bitter and weisen. easy to make, hard to make a really good one.

Scott............ you slack bastard...... fend for yourself :)

A couple recent beers i have had on tap.

Dortmunder. Oh man this is good. Still on tap but wont last much longer. German pils and carahell, Saaz and hallertau. YUM.

Dortmunder1248x1872.jpg

American Rye IPA. This one used large LARGE amounts of Centennial and Amarillo that i imported into australia myself direct from US growers. All we can get in Australia in overpriced 2 year old crap. 1.065 amd 75 IBU from memory. 20% rye malt really made the beer something special.

AmericanRyeIPA832x1248.jpg

New Zealand Wheat pale Ale (NZWPA)

Pale ale made with 70% wheat malt and large quantities of whole NX grown hop flowers. I used 3 very different but very distinct NZ hop varieties....
Sothern Cross which is spicy and lemony
Nelson Sauvin which is clean, crisp and gives the most unique tart white grape character
D Saaz which has a massive hop punch of citrus, tangarine, grapefruit.... awsome hop.

This beer wound up being one of the best beers i have ever made. If any of you american brewers are interested in some different hops....... get some NZ hops into ya!

NZWPA1152x1728.jpg

This one is a simple Australian pale ale. simple beer..... made with australian grown Pride of Ringwood, bugger all real character...... an easy drinking beer for the aussie heat!

AussiePaleAleclarity.jpg

Hi Everybody

My first comment on this site, I started homebrewing 40 years ago but gave it up due to a rapid and uncontrollable expansion of the stomach. The main thing I wanted to comment on is that in all the postings no one has said the magic words CLEANLINESS IS GODLINESS. Also why wasn't this site available in the alt.binaries of yesteryear.
Just joined today and am having a ball just perusing the site, may you all get good head. Cheers.

Clenliness is Godliness hey....... I guess its not said cause its just a given. Without it you dont have beers like this on tap that bring people from far and wide to sample them.

Speaking of which........... here is the Oktoberfest i have on tap now......... its got a wonderful bready toasty, slightly fruity maltiness from German Pils, Vienna, Munich and Carabohemian malts and hopped with a bag load of low alpha noble hops...... its ballanced perfectly. Fermented it with a Wyeast Hella-Bock VS strain that makes the malt character scream HEAR I AM while fermenting it out dry leaving it way too drinkable.

The perfect spring lager!

Oktoberfest20101248x1872-1.jpg

Back