How can a juice extractor help with hot sauce?

How can a juice extractor be put to use to aid hobby sauce making, say... When using 3 to 5 pounds of peppers at a time? Is the pulp useless after juicing? Do you get less product results than if you cooked after food processing instead?

Funny you asked that. I recently found a couple at a thrift store. I had already pureed my peppers and made a mash and fermented them. When I was finished fermenting them, I put them through the juicer. 1 qt. quickly turned into 1/3 qt. So I remixed them. What it did was to definitely make a better sauce b/s the mash, even though I had initially sent it through a food processor only pulverized it so much. Having gone through the juicer, the pulp was a finer pulp and made a more consistent sauce.

Of course if you don't want the pulp you could just keep the juice part as your sauce. Perhaps you could use the pulp in a salsa so it doesn't go to waste.

If you have the money the Champion juicer is king in my opinion. I bought one used on Craigslist and purchased a new blade. They have lasted for 20+ years, and are American made, not the chinese junk. It minimizes waste as well, and they are easy to clean.

I made a killer tabasco sauce with my juicer that has the same consistency. I took the pulp and mixed it back with some of the extra juice for a salsa. I also like salsa lady recommendation of dehydrating it and making a powder. 

SavinaRed said:
I made a killer tabasco sauce with my juicer that has the same consistency. I took the pulp and mixed it back with some of the extra juice for a salsa. I alse like salsa lady recommendation of dehydrating it and making a powder. 
I'm not from the Caribbean, but they make pepper sauce as they call it, or just plain pepper, and they add the pulp and all with the liquid. I have tried my hand at this, and I produce several different types of sauces. I too enjoy using the juicer for sauce making. I make a big pot of the following:
peppers of choice
papaya
kiwi
mango
onion
garlic
cilantro
small amount of apple cider vinegar
plenty of Himalayan mountain salt
pineapple
black pepper

I juice each one except the salt and black pepper, then boil down the ingredients with added water, adding the garlic towards the end. When I get the consistency I like, I then filter first a small amount for pure hot sauce. Afterwards I add some more water, stir then bottle up everything together. Man is it good, especially if I combine seasoning peppers, and hot peppers together. You can tell that the different pepper types really set the tone for flavor. Sometimes I add some crazy ingredients for nutrients such as kale, wheatgrass etc, which usually does not effect the taste negatively.

I got a kitchenaid juicer recently and it did great.  Now that is with some caveats.  I had previously pureed the peppers and fermented them for some time.  Next time I will probably run it through a blender again before putting it through the juicer.

That said, when I put the fermented sauce through the juicer I thought it did a good job a separating the remaining pulp and seeds from the fermented mash.  I then used the expended pulp to make powder and there's still plenty of heat in the remaining pulp.

Back