• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

How can i forcemy habaneros to ripen???

I have been waiting patiently for my orange habaneros to ripen, so far this season I have only picked about a dozen. I have 5 plants with about 100 unripe pods on them. With the weather cooling down here I am a little concerned I won't get many more to ripen in time. Is there anything I can do to push them along? Some sort of fertilizer perhaps? All plants are outdoors and planted in the ground. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

You just gotta stare at them really hard like this:
peoples+eyebrow.jpg

I was going to say threaten with a big stick but i like the stare concept better. Great advice there tex.

Cut one in half and hang it up so the others can see it. Show them what happens to non-ripening pods.

Txclosetgrower said:
You just gotta stare at them really hard like this:
peoples+eyebrow.jpg

Oh god....:lol: That is a stare....

Mate, if you think they are pretty close to starting to ripen then the only way that I know of is to remove the chilli from the plant, put in a paper bag and add a ripe banana in the bag as well.....

The ripening banana produces a chemical (don't know which one?) that forces the chillis to ripen quicker.....You might lose a few but most should ripen.....

I have never done this my self but a lot of people talk about it here as a way to save chillis from a branch that has broken off the plant....

busy with work mate..... and busy giving my chillis the "rock" stare.... they are just fruiting again and should be right for a second run before the cold hits

They'll ripen when they're ready. Leave them alone. When they start, it will happen quick, so have freezer bags ready. Pick a few to eat while you're waiting on the others, that's what I do.

the bag trick with a banana worked well for me last fall...but I would wait until the last minute before picking them...

Unless the temperatures go below freezing, leave them alone. They'll ripen better on the plant.

If the weather gets cold, the plant will stop setting fruit, but it won't stop ripening the fruit already on the plant.

I found out last year that it didnt matter what stage my pods were in, if they were picked off, 98% of them would ripen.

However the colors they ripened to were not as dark as if you let them ripen on the plant.

My advice, let them ripen on the plant! Habs take up to three weeks once they reach full size (I find). Let them ripen on their own, it's totaly worth it!

Thanks for all your great advice, i think i'll try threatening with the stick first and if that doesn't work then the hung, drawn and quartered method might be enough:lol: Most years my habaneros die off around the end of March so time's a ticking. I'll be solving this problem by putting in a greenhouse for next season... earlier start, later finish. For now i'll just continue checking them 50 times a day and waving that stick around.

Back