• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How long should I allow my cayenne pepper to ripen? Why do the buds yellow and die?

Hello I have a couple of questions about my cayenne peppers. Yesterday morning my first pepper started to turn red and I'm curious how long I should allow it to ripen on the vine for. Also, the cayenne that I have in the ground are having A LOT of their buds turn yellow and die. Any suggestions? Are they already too stressed by what peppers are on it or is it something else? I just find it odd because they have the same feeding schedule as the other pepper plants and those aren't having a lot of buds die.

:welcome:

I would allow the cayenne to turn fully red and then pick one and try it out.

The only time I would find the buds turning yellow and falling off is when the temps were too high. Not to worry, when the pepper is ready it will turn out the pods.

Patience my friend!!

Good luck!!

Reactions: Ela
Privjet tovarisch St Steven

Welcome to THP,the place you could learn a lot about hot peppers. First of all, relax and enjoy ride of growing hot peppers. I have to agree with SH that change in temps could cause your peppers to drop buds.We had that problem last year.Another problem could be to much or not enough ferts. Check on this as well.

Good luck and keep us posted. :)

Every plant I have dropped early buds this year. They all worked their way out of it without any help from me. The faster you pick red peppers, the better IMO. Less bad things can happen to it in the safety of your dwelling and it encourages the plant to make more.

I've been picking the large green ones. I've been eating them and enjoyed.
Am I crazy? My plants have loads of peppers.
Should I wait for them to turn red???
I'm interested in eating fresh peppers.
Mike

Back