How r ur peppers going in Perth west oz?

I have a small aji omnicolour that put out a few sickly looking leaves and just sat there doing nothing. Today, I decided to hack it out of the pot and try repotting it into some other soil where, hopefully, it'll reshoot better. It was in a mix of Green Life Soil Co potting mix and perlite, something I've been concerned about being it seems to get waterlogged (even with the perlite) and be very heavy and dense.

The root ball on the plant was almost non existent - even after a year! I put it in a small pot (not much bigger than the ones Wildfire Chilli seedlings come in) in a mix of Miracle Grow Organic mix and quite a good amount of perlite. Be interesting to see if the plant recovers. Meanwhile, I'm going to junk the soil in that pot and shift one of my large seedlings from this year over.

Micca302 said:
Rainman your little spot there is coming along real nice :cool:
Good luck.

Hey Highlucks welcome to the forum.
Looks like you are in full swing with the seedlings. They will surely keep you busy!

I got my first harvest of Pimenta Da Neyde's today

iqcums.jpg

Luckily I managed to get some off before my Bastage marsupial rat critter decided to take them!

Micca
How do you know they are ripe? I have had a hard time picking it.

A couple of my pots were like that Nemspy - waterlogged - especially in the lower third of the pot.  This was my own fault as I didn't put any gravel in the base of the pot and I actually added soil improver to the potting mix that already had water retaining crystals in there!

Of course my first soil mix was created without researching anything about what chilies like whatsoever... then I got problems and sick plants so I looked online, found this forum, read all the things I had done wrong and then after 4-6 weeks, I re-potted everything.

Really hoping to see a big difference soon.  Been about 1 week and I think they are finally over the shock of the move.

I'm just trying to get a routine now for water/feed and try not to get too much grower anxiety, which is something I think I will always struggle with.  A few pods setting will help I'm sure, 4 weeks of flower drop has not helped the grower anxiety!!

Bahahaha

I think i suffer a little bit from that grower anxiety!!

Im a complete novice to this kind of stuff and actually find myself quite overwhelmed with the amount of info on this site... alot of the time its like a completely different language!

.....a few of my seedlings are growing painfully slow.... but trying to keep it simple and keep my fingers crossed.

Tinnie said:
Bahahaha

Im a complete novice to this kind of stuff and actually find myself quite overwhelmed with the amount of info on this site... alot of the time its like a completely different language!

.....a few of my seedlings are growing painfully slow.... but trying to keep it simple and keep my fingers crossed.

They do tend to grow slow for a long time and then take off with a vengeance.

The tips I have found that have helped this year are to not overwater them, make sure they are in well-draining soil, and don't take them straight into a huge pot or the ground. Gradually move them up into larger and larger containers so the root system can fill out into a nice ball. Even this year, the plants I got over-excited by and moved to their own large pots early are now half the size of identical plants, sown the same time, that I left in smaller pots.

nemspy said:

The tips I have found that have helped this year are to not overwater them, make sure they are in well-draining soil, and don't take them straight into a huge pot or the ground. Gradually move them up into larger and larger containers so the root system can fill out into a nice ball. Even this year, the plants I got over-excited by and moved to their own large pots early are now half the size of identical plants, sown the same time, that I left in smaller pots.

This is something I can attest too as well. All my seedlings went into large 16-20 litre pots immediately.  I will be trying the potting up method next year for sure.  What I love most is when you notice a huge growth spurt the next morning.  Happened today, the Douglah is way more bushy on top than it was last night.

Tinnie said:
Bahahaha

I'm also a novice.  I started out trying tomatoes and herbs, but did not have very much success at all (a few tomatoes and a lot of dead plants).  I don't know why I thought chili growing would be any easier!  

I agree the sheer amount of info on this forum is immense...  we just need to take away the basics and hopefully this will at least equal some plants making it to maturity and pods.  Next year take a few new tips and build on our rookie year.

Cheers for the advice fellas.... i was a little apprehensive about starting a thread but you guys have actually cleared something up for me...... i have some 20L pots ready to go that i was ready to start planting some of the seedlings in.... i see many people saying  the motive against doing this was to maintain space in the garden..... thought id be saving time and money chuckin them straight into the big boys....... they're still in plastic cups atm... but i do have some smaller pots (maybe 1L) to transfer to in the mean time.

Rainman... pretty keen to steer clear of tomatoes for the time being.... the pests love them and they seem to die with a gust of wind lol

i have a rosemary, bay and some lemongrass that have been going strong for a coupla years.... also threw some leftover supermarket garlic and ginger into some pots at the start of spring.... garlic shooted more or less immediatedly..... id close to given up on the ginger but maintained giving it a good water... shoots have finally immerged this week which im quite happy about.

cheers again for the help fellas

Rainman said:
A couple of my pots were like that Nemspy - waterlogged - especially in the lower third of the pot.  This was my own fault as I didn't put any gravel in the base of the pot and I actually added soil improver to the potting mix that already had water retaining crystals in there!
I think everyone makes this mistake when getting to grips with chilli plant soil drainage requirements.  I certainly did.  I filled up 9 litre buckets I had drilled plenty of holes in with compost and potting mixes that had all the added soil wetter crap in them.  There were tons of large holes at the bottom of the pot but when all my plants died and I emptied them out, the pots' bottom thirds were soggy.

I logically tried to fix the problem by putting large rocks in a layer at the bottom.   But this doesn't fix the problem of poor drainage. 

I read a very detailed article about how drainage in pots works more through capillary action than gravity.  It goes into a lot of detail but basically if you try to improve the drainage of a pot by putting gravel or something like that at the bottom of the pot all it does if reduce the effective size of the pot by that much.  Doesn't help drainage but gives the plant less area to grow its roots.  The only reason for putting something different at the bottom of a pot is to cover a drainage hole so soil doesn't fall out. The most effective way to improve drainage is to have a consistent size and shape of particles in the mix, so the excess water is drawn away from the roots.

nemspy said:

When they are transplanted they go into shock, and they start to grow new roots. So it looks like they slow down.  This season I potted half of my plants into the ground and left the others in pots.  At first the potted ones got much bigger but once they had used all the root space they could they put all their energy into pods.  The ones in the ground were slowly growing because they were spending a lot of energy on root expansion.  Now the ground ones are twice the size and podding up so they have caught up and well overtaken the others.  Hope that makes sense, it did in my head :P

I think correctly timing potting up is dependent on how the roots have grown and the weather. 

merry xmas  :)

megamoo said:
I think everyone makes this mistake when getting to grips with chilli plant soil drainage requirements.  I certainly did.  I filled up 9 litre buckets I had drilled plenty of holes in with compost and potting mixes that had all the added soil wetter crap in them.  There were tons of large holes at the bottom of the pot but when all my plants died and I emptied them out, the pots' bottom thirds were soggy.

I logically tried to fix the problem by putting large rocks in a layer at the bottom.   But this doesn't fix the problem of poor drainage. 

I read a very detailed article about how drainage in pots works more through capillary action than gravity.  It goes into a lot of detail but basically if you try to improve the drainage of a pot by putting gravel or something like that at the bottom of the pot all it does if reduce the effective size of the pot by that much.  Doesn't help drainage but gives the plant less area to grow its roots.  The only reason for putting something different at the bottom of a pot is to cover a drainage hole so soil doesn't fall out. The most effective way to improve drainage is to have a consistent size and shape of particles in the mix, so the excess water is drawn away from the roots.

When they are transplanted they go into shock, and they start to grow new roots. So it looks like they slow down.  This season I potted half of my plants into the ground and left the others in pots.  At first the potted ones got much bigger but once they had used all the root space they could they put all their energy into pods.  The ones in the ground were slowly growing because they were spending a lot of energy on root expansion.  Now the ground ones are twice the size and podding up so they have caught up and well overtaken the others.  Hope that makes sense, it did in my head :P

I think correctly timing potting up is dependent on how the roots have grown and the weather. 

merry xmas  :)

Moo - I actually added stones to base of the pot during the recent re-potting (only over the drainage holes) thinking it might help drainage... I'm glad that I didn't put much in there now after reading your post.  I have a lot of perlite in my mix (took your advice and got close to 50/50 split) and I'm already noticing that the watering is now at every day / second day as opposed to every week 'cos they drain so well.  All in all the plants are looking loads healthier, I'm chuffed I bit the bullet and re-potted.  

I never thought about what was happening after the transplant - but again that make perfect sense - root development. I seem to be seeing significant growth overnight to some of my pots, so I hope that means the pots are filling up with healthy roots! 

Out of interest what are your thoughts on those "pots" made of organic matter that the plants roots push out of / grow through? I picked up a couple of varieties from Masters and they told me to plant them directly into soil... but they seem to grow very slow compared to ones that were from Bunnings and were in plastic pots that I transplanted to soil.  When I re-potted the Masters plants, I cut the bottom off the "organic pot" and I'm hoping the roots will shoot out quicker now.     
Tinnie said:
Cheers for the advice fellas.... i was a little apprehensive about starting a thread but you guys have actually cleared something up for me...... i have some 20L pots ready to go that i was ready to start planting some of the seedlings in.... i see many people saying  the motive against doing this was to maintain space in the garden..... thought id be saving time and money chuckin them straight into the big boys....... they're still in plastic cups atm... but i do have some smaller pots (maybe 1L) to transfer to in the mean time.

Rainman... pretty keen to steer clear of tomatoes for the time being.... the pests love them and they seem to die with a gust of wind lol

i have a rosemary, bay and some lemongrass that have been going strong for a coupla years.... also threw some leftover supermarket garlic and ginger into some pots at the start of spring.... garlic shooted more or less immediatedly..... id close to given up on the ginger but maintained giving it a good water... shoots have finally immerged this week which im quite happy about.

cheers again for the help fellas

Tomatoes... Damn things attracted so many white butterflies, they hated my mains supplied retic water and demanded so much attention that I gave up on them.  All the lower leaves would go yellow and die, whereas the upper growth was lush and green, before long they would get top heavy and fall over despite so many stakes.  Never again.

Also the added incentive of chilies is I hopefully get to eat something I cant go and buy from the local supermarket.  

Happy xmas to you guys too btw.

Finally bit the bullet and replaced the four worst, most waterlogged pots on my balcony with a mix of Miracle-Gro Organic Vegetable and Herb -- http://www.scottsaustralia.com.au/m...ice/organic-choice-vegetable-herb-mix.aspx%C2 -- It doesn't LOOK like it's got crystals in it, but someone might prove me wrong and repotted the struggling plants in that. Of course, Bunbury Bunnings, in their infinite wisdom, seems to have discontinued this mix, so I'll possibly have to find a new option for the remaining pots.

Of course, the old pots were quite wet in the bottom 1/3. Not absolutely saturated, but damper than I'd like and the pots weighed a freaking tonne and the roots just couldn't cope with it.

In other news, my fatalii seems to be podding up, so, yay.

Rainman said:

Out of interest what are your thoughts on those "pots" made of organic matter that the plants roots push out of / grow through? I picked up a couple of varieties from Masters and they told me to plant them directly into soil... but they seem to grow very slow compared to ones that were from Bunnings and were in plastic pots that I transplanted to soil.  When I re-potted the Masters plants, I cut the bottom off the "organic pot" and I'm hoping the roots will shoot out quicker now.     

Never tried them myself.  I can't really see the point unless you hate getting any dirt on your hands.  Plus its more work for the roots to push through them.  When I've used jiffy pellets in the past I've even cut the webbing stuff off to pot them up.  Also you will need to buy a new pot each time, and not reuse the same plastic pots every year. 
The only pro I can see is convenience and its very small.  So all in all I'd say they are just a novelty gimmick.

I agree with what everyone is saying about tomatoes.  I personally don't like to eat them fresh or raw and that would be the only reason to grow them.  Last year they attracted rats to my garden!  Get so many diseases and attract pests, I believe the leaves are actually poisonous and they don't look very good at the end of the season.  Giving them a miss this year, making more room for chillies :D

megamoo said:
Never tried them myself.  I can't really see the point unless you hate getting any dirt on your hands.  Plus its more work for the roots to push through them.  When I've used jiffy pellets in the past I've even cut the webbing stuff off to pot them up.  Also you will need to buy a new pot each time, and not reuse the same plastic pots every year. 
The only pro I can see is convenience and its very small.  So all in all I'd say they are just a novelty gimmick.

I agree with what everyone is saying about tomatoes.  I personally don't like to eat them fresh or raw and that would be the only reason to grow them.  Last year they attracted rats to my garden!  Get so many diseases and attract pests, I believe the leaves are actually poisonous and they don't look very good at the end of the season.  Giving them a miss this year, making more room for chillies :D
Yes! I grew hydroponic tomatoes and it drew in the rats! they chewed up tomatoes and brocoli heads that I had been growing for months!! Devistating!
This year no tomoatoes but they had a go at my pumpkin and my rock melon!  Busted out the poison and I think they are gone now! no more teeth marks in my produce!

Rainman said:

I've found that the droop is all but gone now if I give them a little water each morning while they re-adjust to their new homes.  I think they will make it.  The yellow Wax looks ragged and ugly but has three pods growing. 

The new mix appears to require watering every second day, which I'll be monitoring more closely when my moisture meter arrives from Ebay.  

Pretty sure a combination of too much nitrogen from my previous soil mix (heavily fertilized) and pH 8 water caused the plants to be locked out for a month.  So, I've tilled in some dolomite lime to the upper part of the soil and been using vinegar to get the water pH down to 6.5.

How long should it roughly take to start seeing an improvement in the plants growth / flower production after such a severe lock-out?

Great to hear Rainman. Sometimes it is just a matter of some patience(something i'm not too good at  :P )
Not too sure of recovery times. Think it depends on how bad the plant is and whether he finds his grooove or not. Some of mine come back great but some you just struggle with and they are never happy.

Boguspokus said:
How do you know they are ripe? I have had a hard time picking it.

That's a darn good question.
I'm hopeless and can't pick it. I can only tell when they get over ripe as they get wrinkly.
Most unusual Pepper I have ever seen as it starts a Purple colour, stays Purple through maturing and ripens Purple too.
I seem to find that this variety has heat and flavour in the earlier stages too so can be picked a bit earlier.

megamoo said:

Hey Moo did you have this article saved? Just sounds interesting and would be good to have a skim through.

Micca

Sad day today.  All the chilies that were planted in the ground where my old tomatoes once were had a hoard of black spots sweep over them in between my watering.  The established fruiting plants (jalapeno, mexi-belle and cayenne) looked like they were coping, but all the smaller seedlings were hit massively hard and new growth was all black and shriveled :(

Figured it was either severe BLS or Phytopthora Blight, so I have culled all infected plants in the hope spores have not been blown across the yard to my favorite plants.

Grow list has been decimated, leaving the following still alive (I have now sprayed them all with copper as a precaution):
Orange Habanero x 1
Chocolate Habanero x 1
Trinidad Scorpion (Yellow) x 1
Bhut Ghost x 2
Butch T x 1
7 Pot Douglah x 1
7 Pot Jonah x 1

All infected and destroyed:
Orange Habanero x 1
Jalapeno x 3
Yellow Wax x 1
Banana x 1
Mexi-Belle x 1 
Cayenne x 1, 
Chipolte x 1
Peter Penis x 1
Sweet Capsicum x 1
Serrano x 1

megamoo said:

That's what I figured, but I wondered if there was some advantage I was missing.  On a side note, I'm seeing much faster growth since I cut the base of the organic pot off, so that's something I guess.  

Ok, off to mourn my loss :(

Remember the chocolate Bhut I posted a month or so ago? This is one of the seedlings I took from Megamoo's leftovers last year. I decided against pruning it and it's looking pretty nice right now. Lots of blossom. Now I just need it to set some fruit.

11580899576_57b4b4bfc3_h.jpg

megamoo said:

I have a few tomatoes out on my balcony this year. They seem quite hardy in the conditions and work as a bit of a windbreak for the chillies. I guess pests is where I'm lucky four floors up. I might have to deal with hellish winds, but you sure don't get rats up there. The worst I have to deal with is the aphids that I am sure I introduced up here myself by bringing plants from mum's place, and the occasional caterpillar that goes plummeting off the edge as soon as located. :)

1DF8D032-1840-4CFB-9504-15F33811FC6F.jpg

Smallish harvest off of my Yellow 7 pod today...

004C867C-C47A-4ECE-BC2A-20AF970677A7.jpg

And my Butch T that's finally starting to set pods.

While I'm at it... Does anyone in Aus have the Fatalii Gourmet Jigsaw? I'd love to get a hold of some seed...

I'm pretty jealous about those Yellow 7s, Mitch. I had a strong plant that I planted mid last season - it produced one anaemic and heat-bereft pod in July right before shutting down. Unfortunately, the plant died over winter and now I am having to wait for a seedling to get up to speed.

-

In other news - Finally lost patience with my Mirasol plant. If they ever decide to make another Harry Potter film and they need something to use as a prop wand - look no further! This green stick has been sitting here with teensy tiny new shoots that you can barely see but nothing else. It was taking up a pot and needed to move to a new home. I carefully cut the thing out of the crappy Green Life Soil Co mix that I am phasing out - sure enough, like everything else ive had in there, the root ball was barely the size of an orange - after a year - shook most of the stuff off and repotted it in a mix of fresh (no water crystals) potting mix and perlite in one of the left over pots that my Wildfire Chilli Douglah plant came in. Soaked the thing with water. Let's see if the green stick likes that better. If it dies, no great loss.

I kept my Yellow 7 inside over winter but I didnt have any sort of lighting setup and kept forgetting to water it and it got really sickly. Started to come back when I put it outside but eventually just carked it :(

The Chocolate Bhut I have pictured above stayed at my Mum's place in her courtyard. It had chillies on it in August or even September! Some of the leaves dropped and others got a bit yellow around the edges, but mostly it stayed intact. I might drop my special favourites up there for the winter!

By the way - does anyone think we need to get some sort of seed bank going on here on this thread. I've shared seeds with others here before to mutual satisfaction and I think, given the number of us, we must have so many that buying online is quite pointless.

Here's what I currently have on hand if anyone needs any or would like to trade. Ones marked with an asterisk I'm unlikely to want to give up right now; however, I have plants going and this should change later in the season.

Mirasol (Guajillo) - more than you can poke a stick at.
*Saffron Hab - 6 seeds
*Yellow Adjoema Scotch Bonnet - 6 seeds
Cupetino - 12 seeds.
Purple Tiger - a dozen or so.
Hungarian Black - billions
Cheiro Goias - billions
Jalapeno - billions
Black Pearl - a few
*Purple Hab - 3 seeds.
Orange Capsicum - billions
White Jellybean Hab - a few seeds
Orange Lantern - one single seed - never had one of these germinate.
Orange Hab - several dozen
Jamaican Red - billions
Poblano  - billions
Aji Limon - a couple of seeds. Have a strong seedling going so may rectify this later in the season.
Uvilla Grande - quite a few seeds but I reckon I have other junk accidentally mixed in with them.
Maraba Yellow - 6 or so seeds.
Anaheim - billions
Goatsweed - a few seeds
Aji Omnicolour - billions
*Black Hab - 3 seeds
Fluro purple - billions
Meltdown Hab - 1 seed - never had one of these germinate.
Purple Capsicum - billions and billions
Butch T - 2 seeds
Hot Cherry - billions
Birdseye - a dozen or so
*Fatalii - 6 or so.
Mulatto - billions; however, there's some hungarian black seeds that got accidentally mixed in here. I can make an educated guess as to what is which as the HB seeds are smaller.
Mild Seasoning Habanero (from Micca) - half a dozen or so seeds.

Plants that I currently have going and will harvest seeds from, hopefully:

From last season:
Habanero Rojo
Hot Cherry
Mulatto
Poblano
Cheiro Goias x2
Jamaican Red
Hungarian Black
Birdseye
Chocolate Bhut
Red Bhut
Fatalii
Butch T
Aji Omnicolour (although, it's looking pretty sickly)
Fluro purple
Black Pearl (At Mum's)

New plants this season - a couple are replacing old ones that died.

Purple Capsi
Black Habx2
Saffron Habx2
Purple Habx2
Yellow 7
Jalapeno
Aji Limon
Cambucci
Douglah
Cheiro Do Norte - FINALLY got one of these looking like a strong seedling. Slowest starting seedlings EVER.
Jonah 7
White Jellybean Hab - although this one is teeny and doesn't seem to want to grow.
Orange Hab.
Yellow Adjoema Scotch Bonnet.
Seasoning Hab (from Micca)

Micca302 said:

Hey Moo did you have this article saved? Just sounds interesting and would be good to have a skim through.

Micca

No it was linked to by someone, can't remember who, I think on the winter-summer in oz thread roughly a year? ago.   If you have hours to spare and the patience of a statue you could comb through it.  Maybe there is a way to search a thread for links that could cut the time down?

Rainman said:
Sad day today.  All the chilies that were planted in the ground where my old tomatoes once were had a hoard of black spots sweep over them in between my watering.  The established fruiting plants (jalapeno, mexi-belle and cayenne) looked like they were coping, but all the smaller seedlings were hit massively hard and new growth was all black and shriveled :(

Figured it was either severe BLS or Phytopthora Blight, so I have culled all infected plants in the hope spores have not been blown across the yard to my favorite plants.

Grow list has been decimated, leaving the following still alive (I have now sprayed them all with copper as a precaution):
Orange Habanero x 1
Chocolate Habanero x 1
Trinidad Scorpion (Yellow) x 1
Bhut Ghost x 2
Butch T x 1
7 Pot Douglah x 1
7 Pot Jonah x 1

All infected and destroyed:
Orange Habanero x 1
Jalapeno x 3
Yellow Wax x 1
Banana x 1
Mexi-Belle x 1 
Cayenne x 1, 
Chipolte x 1
Peter Penis x 1
Sweet Capsicum x 1
Serrano x 1

That's what I figured, but I wondered if there was some advantage I was missing.  On a side note, I'm seeing much faster growth since I cut the base of the organic pot off, so that's something I guess.  

Ok, off to mourn my loss :(
Sad news dude.  I've got some sort of fungus attacking my overwintered Brainstrain right now.  I'll probably have to spray some chemicals and if it survives there will be significant recovery time.  It's heartbreaking because it was my best plant.

nemspy said:
Remember the chocolate Bhut I posted a month or so ago? This is one of the seedlings I took from Megamoo's leftovers last year. I decided against pruning it and it's looking pretty nice right now. Lots of blossom. Now I just need it to set some fruit.

11580899576_57b4b4bfc3_h.jpg

Awesome!  I feel like a proud parent ;)

nemspy said:
By the way - does anyone think we need to get some sort of seed bank going on here on this thread. I've shared seeds with others here before to mutual satisfaction and I think, given the number of us, we must have so many that buying online is quite pointless.

Sounds like a good idea.  I've got lots of excess and was going to post something up about free seeds but didn't have time with all the xmas craziness. 
I'll go through what I have available and make a list.

Back