• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How r ur peppers going in Perth west oz?

Just got done making some Vegie Pickle! Just had Jamaican chilies and Aji Panca in the Vegie pickle and a I made and extra hot pickle with pickles Burmese Nagas.
IMAG1705_zpsn5p07y3a.jpg

Did some picking today!
A kilo of Aji Panca and a Kilo of Ghost hab
P1040769_zpsf46c94e6.jpg

and I might try a bit of the Aji Rocotto Largo tonight.
P1040771_zps2bda50a6.jpg

wow, bit hotter than I thought it would be!!
Same sort of taste as the red rocotto, I like those thick walled chilies! I havn't eaten a red rocotto for quite some time but these are easily hotter! Caught me by surprise! Got hicups as soon as I bit into it!
P1040772_zpsa4386cd0.jpg

gasificada said:
Can't compare it to any other Rocoto as it's the only one I've managed to get to fruit but the Rocoto Aji Largo is damn good, aye!
Sure is good! Would make a nice replacement for capsicum in a salad! same crisp crunch!

Wow, those Rocoto Aji Largo look good! I've got some Rocoto San Isidro seedlings started. Similar bottleneck style shape, but slightly fatter and the same nice sweet taste of a red capsicum (bell pepper). They weren't too hot, more on the mild side and the missus liked them too.

That Peach Ghost Scorpion is a monster! Looking good!

Super David said:
Peach Ghost Scorpion going very well now.
P1040741_zps43d48df9.jpg

IMAG1702_zpsfaofinqf.jpg

P1040761_zps16bc8445.jpg

Looking fantastic there Dave  :cool:
Pickles are looking great too.

You have gotta love the Rocoto's. I haven't tried the Largo's yet but had red and orange Manzano's and normal Red Rocoto and all of them are excellent.
Thick, juicy and not too hot. The only problem is when I grow them they want to take over my garden!

Micca

its only a 250 watt, seems to be big enough for one big plant.  I've got a 600 watt there but I think its overkill.  Although it would be good to put the light all the way up near the roof and cover all the leaves with light, because I'm only using the 250 I try to keep it low but not all the leaves are getting light.

thanks!
yeah its looking good but it seems to have stopped converting flowers to chilies.  Not sure why,  it started dropping flowers when we got those really cold days.  Probably the cold or maybe its produced as many pods as it can and its waiting for them to ripen and come off before it puts out more.
I might even have to give it a trim, its way over 6 foot wide now.

Super David said:
The shape never looked right from the start, but now that its completely yellow....I'm fairly sure its not a Chocolate Habanero like Masters said it was.

P1040799_zps72da28c5.jpg

Damn dude. I had the same thing with Masters on my TS CARDI yellow and Butch T. My Choc Hab thankfully put out the right pods. Mind you, it's a sick plant but it's holding up better indoors now. Didn't get any seeds though, otherwise I'd send you some.

Shurbryn said:

Damn dude. I had the same thing with Masters on my TS CARDI yellow and Butch T. My Choc Hab thankfully put out the right pods. Mind you, it's a sick plant but it's holding up better indoors now. Didn't get any seeds though, otherwise I'd send you some.
thats ok! thanks anyway.
I dont think I"m going to grow a ton of chilies this season.  The grubs really ruin it for me.
I'll probably grow something indoor and  grow my Jumbo pumpkin and maybe just one or two chilies.

Just one or two chillies...??? Can't. Comprehend. The madness!!!!!! :eek:

But seriously, nah, I get ya. Damn bug bastages can really kill motivation. I will admit, there's been times when I've been ready to chuck it in for good........

Super David said:
The shape never looked right from the start, but now that its completely yellow....I'm fairly sure its not a Chocolate Habanero like Masters said it was.

P1040799_zps72da28c5.jpg

That's a Fatalii, surely?
Last season was bloody depressing for me. Obviously my large balcony is far less than ideal; however, my first season it got quite verdant up there and I had plenty of pods. This season just gone was just APHIDGEDDON. No amount of squishing or pyrethrum would prevent the little green bastards from coming back en masse. Healthy plants just went brown and died.

I told myself that I was done -- at least until we move somewhere with a proper garden. Regardless, here I go again, preparing to get the jiffies set up in the warmer to have another crack at it.

gasificada said:
Just one or two chillies...??? Can't. Comprehend. The madness!!!!!! :eek:

But seriously, nah, I get ya. Damn bug bastages can really kill motivation. I will admit, there's been times when I've been ready to chuck it in for good........

nemspy said:
I told myself that I was done -- at least until we move somewhere with a proper garden. Regardless, here I go again, preparing to get the jiffies set up in the warmer to have another crack at it.

Nemspy - good to hear man.  You'd think being high up on a balcony that you'd be less vulnerable to such bugs...

My test run at growing from seed is 5 weeks in.  Results so far are pretty pleasing for the chillies and the thai basil. Will probably chuck a picy up later today/tomorrow.  

Rainman said:

Nemspy - good to hear man.  You'd think being high up on a balcony that you'd be less vulnerable to such bugs...

My test run at growing from seed is 5 weeks in.  Results so far are pretty pleasing for the chillies and the thai basil. Will probably chuck a picy up later today/tomorrow.  

I think I brought the colony up here, Rainman.

What I'm hoping to do this season is grow fewer plants so I can keep them under control or even wipe them out.

I'm also going to try using the very woodchippy citrus tree potting mix that, inexplicably, worked very well for me in my first season.

I'll let everyone know the results.

In other news, I'm still looking to trade seeds. A few months ago I posted lists of what I have on hand. I'm keen for just about any chinense I don't own if anyone has a bunch of hab (other than red or orange), 7 pot, or scorpion seeds lying around.

Back