• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How r ur peppers going in Perth west oz?

Pinhigh said:

Thanks Micca

Here is a pic of an early pod on one of my "reaper" plants. This plant is on the opposite side of the house to all the other plants, so i seriously doubt would have crossed with anything. Still looks a bit more like a TS to me.

Like you say definitely not a Reaper. Maybe a TS?
Wait for some more pods and see how they look. You can get variations in shape depending on weather etc.
Doesn't matter if different plants are grown together they will look like the variety of that particular plant. If you save seeds though you could get lots of different crosses depending on what other plants are around.

Micca

Peach Ghost Scorpion looking good!
IMAG2474_zps3gc48mdw.jpg

Hey Micca, Peachy GhostScorp is starting to shoot out pods for me.
This one has the nice light green colour to it and is nice and bumpy.

Bd5UtwKl.jpg

There are a few darker looking pods on it, but I'll wait and see how they go.

Thanks again for the seeds!  :cheers:

Shurbryn said:
Hey Micca, Peachy GhostScorp is starting to shoot out pods for me.
This one has the nice light green colour to it and is nice and bumpy.

Bd5UtwKl.jpg

There are a few darker looking pods on it, but I'll wait and see how they go.

Thanks again for the seeds!  :cheers:

Looking great there Mate. Will be interesting to see how they turn out.

Micca

All quiet around here - you guys busy harvesting I hope? 

I'm learning that hydro is not as easy as all that.  Things were going so well - huge bushy plants, but I think I left my reservoir go a few days too long a couple of weeks back (I was holding out for a weekend as I was too tired to change it out mid-week) and I think they got a deficiency/toxicity issue and shed a lot of leaves.  

The plants look a little ragged and some black spotting going on (thinking potassium deficiency), but they have enough healthy leaves to pull through and two of the four (fatalii and a mystery chili - possibly a bhut something or other) have started to pod up.  

Then just to kick me in the guts, I'm in the middle of another aphid onslaught.  I think they were there from when the plant was so bushy (easy for them to hide), but now its less leaves I caught them.  Given up on pyrethrum and trying confidor now.

Hope you guys are not having issues like me.

On the plus side - getting some great juicy mexi-belles that will be stuffed with cream cheese and eaten immediately or possibly also coated in breadcrumbs and fried for chili poppers.   

Time for a bit of an update...

My plants havent been blooming/fruiting as much as I would like. So on the advice of our NZ neighbours I changed nutrients....WOW what a difference! Everything is going crazy now. Also helps that the weather has cooled down.
Turns out my reaper plants from WildFire are true, must have just been the first pod that wasnt. Now for some pics....

Reapers

Douglahs

Moruga

TS Butch T

Also have my first triple flower bloom on my giant tomato! pollinated this morning.

Rainman said:
All quiet around here - you guys busy harvesting I hope? 

I'm learning that hydro is not as easy as all that.  Things were going so well - huge bushy plants, but I think I left my reservoir go a few days too long a couple of weeks back (I was holding out for a weekend as I was too tired to change it out mid-week) and I think they got a deficiency/toxicity issue and shed a lot of leaves.  

The plants look a little ragged and some black spotting going on (thinking potassium deficiency), but they have enough healthy leaves to pull through and two of the four (fatalii and a mystery chili - possibly a bhut something or other) have started to pod up.  

Then just to kick me in the guts, I'm in the middle of another aphid onslaught.  I think they were there from when the plant was so bushy (easy for them to hide), but now its less leaves I caught them.  Given up on pyrethrum and trying confidor now.

Hope you guys are not having issues like me.

On the plus side - getting some great juicy mexi-belles that will be stuffed with cream cheese and eaten immediately or possibly also coated in breadcrumbs and fried for chili poppers.   

Hey Mate it can be trial and error with outdoor Hydro growing. I usually change nutes every 2 weeks in my recycle system(using tap water).
Hey you mentioned Black spots so I am assuming you are getting Black Spot fungal disease. In my experience this is usually caused by the plants being too wet which can also cause leaf drop.
Maybe try cutting back on the amount of watering they get seeing it is not so hot now. Also you can put through something like Growth Technologies Oxy Plus which is a Sanitiser(50% Hydrogen Peroxide).
I use this to keep out any Fungal issues but just remember it will kill good bacteria so only use when there are Fungal issues or for cleaning out the system.
Also good aeration in the reservoir is essential and the plants love it. I have used a Dutch system called Bato Pots in the past and did not like them. It had some of the best growth I have ever seen but they have a reservoir at the bottom of the pot and the Chilli got wet feet and had big issues with Black Spot Fungus.
Once you use Confidor you will never go back. I spent many years battling them only to watch the life get sucked out of my plants, these days I hardly even see one :cool:
Good Luck and hope this helps

Pinhigh said:
Time for a bit of an update...

My plants havent been blooming/fruiting as much as I would like. So on the advice of our NZ neighbours I changed nutrients....WOW what a difference! Everything is going crazy now. Also helps that the weather has cooled down.
Turns out my reaper plants from WildFire are true, must have just been the first pod that wasnt. Now for some pics....

Reapers

Douglahs

Moruga

TS Butch T

Also have my first triple flower bloom on my giant tomato! pollinated this morning.

Your Chilli are looking great Pinhigh.
This time of year is the best for setting fruit, I always hang out for Autumn :)

Micca

Thanks!

Yes, plants are looking much healthier with the cooler weather. Discovered my ghost chillis are podding up now too!

Moved my Jonah 7 pot into hydro from soil today, it wasnt looking happy. Also moved a soil peach scorpion into DWC.

Micca302 said:

Hey Mate it can be trial and error with outdoor Hydro growing. I usually change nutes every 2 weeks in my recycle system(using tap water).
Hey you mentioned Black spots so I am assuming you are getting Black Spot fungal disease. In my experience this is usually caused by the plants being too wet which can also cause leaf drop.
Maybe try cutting back on the amount of watering they get seeing it is not so hot now. Also you can put through something like Growth Technologies Oxy Plus which is a Sanitiser(50% Hydrogen Peroxide).
I use this to keep out any Fungal issues but just remember it will kill good bacteria so only use when there are Fungal issues or for cleaning out the system.
Also good aeration in the reservoir is essential and the plants love it. I have used a Dutch system called Bato Pots in the past and did not like them. It had some of the best growth I have ever seen but they have a reservoir at the bottom of the pot and the Chilli got wet feet and had big issues with Black Spot Fungus.
Once you use Confidor you will never go back. I spent many years battling them only to watch the life get sucked out of my plants, these days I hardly even see one :cool:
Good Luck and hope this helps

It probably is a fungal thing.  I just googled 'Bato Pots' and they look similar to my set-up, in that a small amount of water will pond in the bottom of the pot that is below the drain plug.  I saw insane growth then the leaves suddenly went yellowish, some black spots on the leaves and flowers and then leaves dropped like crazy.

I've just dialed back the watering cycles and will look into the Oxy Plus if it continues on the weekend.  Its early days, but the reservoir change and spray with confidor has seen new growth look more normal.

Looks like I will have to modify the system next year.  I already had a few ideas for improving it anyway, but will add drain holes in the base and plug up the side holes as well.  Thanks Micca - I think you've nailed this issue for me.
Pinhigh said:
Thanks!

Yes, plants are looking much healthier with the cooler weather. Discovered my ghost chillis are podding up now too!

Moved my Jonah 7 pot into hydro from soil today, it wasnt looking happy. Also moved a soil peach scorpion into DWC.

Quite envious of your reapers - they look mean dude!

Haha thanks!
I planted them on 1/3 last year and haven't had any peppers on them until just now!!
Change of ferts did wonders.

Rainman said:

It probably is a fungal thing.  I just googled 'Bato Pots' and they look similar to my set-up, in that a small amount of water will pond in the bottom of the pot that is below the drain plug.  I saw insane growth then the leaves suddenly went yellowish, some black spots on the leaves and flowers and then leaves dropped like crazy.

I've just dialed back the watering cycles and will look into the Oxy Plus if it continues on the weekend.  Its early days, but the reservoir change and spray with confidor has seen new growth look more normal.

Looks like I will have to modify the system next year.  I already had a few ideas for improving it anyway, but will add drain holes in the base and plug up the side holes as well.  Thanks Micca - I think you've nailed this issue for me.

Quite envious of your reapers - they look mean dude!

No problem Mate, hope you get on top of it. You can use a copper spray to help stop the Black spot from spreading if it keeps it up.
I did what you mentioned and put a drain plug in. Seemed to help.

Micca

Just reminding ya all Chilliheads that the Araluen's Fremantle Chilli Fest is on again this weekend.
20 Bucks entry for adults and kids are free(if with an adult).
Will be lots of taste testing and hopefully they will put some entertainment on for us. Specially around Wildfires(Heatseakers) tent as they come out red faced. Always a good laugh!
Here is a link - http://www.araluenbotanicpark.com.au/araluen-fremantle-chilli-festival/
Kicking back with a Mango beer is the way I will be going, specially after some taste testing.
Hope to see you Chilliheads down there.

Micca

Try gumtree Pinhigh. I think someone on there was selling them when I was looking last year, but they were too expensive imo.  I ended up buying worms to make my own from a place in Wellard (SOR).

Rainman said:
Try gumtree Pinhigh. I think someone on there was selling them when I was looking last year, but they were too expensive imo.  I ended up buying worms to make my own from a place in Wellard (SOR).
Thanks, will have a look. I figured that since there seems to be a lot of people in the US using them that someone would be selling them commercially over here, but haven't had any luck with the usual Bunnings/masters/local garden centre.

Pinhigh said:
Anyone have any idea where to buy worm castings in Perth? Preferably NOR.

Worm castings is the best shit(no pun intended haha). Excellent stuff.
This is where I get mine- http://www.wormshed.com.au/
they are up in chittering but if you buy min 4 bags you get free delivery. Great people to deal with too.
I might try their worm casting seed raising mix this season.

Micca

Micca302 said:

Finally got round to getting some of this Oxy Plus (50%) as the roots were brownish.  Micca, what ratio of ml to water do you use when you have fungal issues? 

I'm currently flushing the system with 2 ml Oxy to 10L of water, but not sure if that's enough.  I'm scared to go too high as I don't want to kill my plants.  Whilst the roots are brownish (which I'm sure is the reason for the leaf issues and some of the black spot), new growth still looks ok and the peppers are setting and growing...

Back