• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How r ur peppers going in Perth west oz?

Rainman said:

Finally got round to getting some of this Oxy Plus (50%) as the roots were brownish.  Micca, what ratio of ml to water do you use when you have fungal issues? 

I'm currently flushing the system with 2 ml Oxy to 10L of water, but not sure if that's enough.  I'm scared to go too high as I don't want to kill my plants.  Whilst the roots are brownish (which I'm sure is the reason for the leaf issues and some of the black spot), new growth still looks ok and the peppers are setting and growing...

That sounds pretty right Mate.
If you have brownish roots I would also grab something called Au 60 Root Repair(nu-life technologies). It helps to clean out the dying or dead roots and promote new healthy ones
I have been mucking around with a Fungi called mycorrhizal fungi for root growth and have been damn amazed at the results. It promotes more branching in the roots which in turn give more root sites for a bigger root mass for better nutrient uptake. The plants have been loving it! 

Just remember too fungal issues(black spot) and brownish roots are all causes of the plant being too wet for too long.

Micca
Micca

Micca302 said:

That sounds pretty right Mate.
If you have brownish roots I would also grab something called Au 60 Root Repair(nu-life technologies). It helps to clean out the dying or dead roots and promote new healthy ones
I have been mucking around with a Fungi called mycorrhizal fungi for root growth and have been damn amazed at the results. It promotes more branching in the roots which in turn give more root sites for a bigger root mass for better nutrient uptake. The plants have been loving it! 

Just remember too fungal issues(black spot) and brownish roots are all causes of the plant being too wet for too long.

Micca
Micca

I'm putting this years hydro down to an experience, so they can make do with what I've got in terms of nutes and additives etc. as the weather is turning too, so they are not long for this world.  Being outdoor hydro with no decent lights (other than the ones i have for new starts), I don't have the urge to overwinter them in soil outside or run the pumps etc. through winter.

Thanks for the tips. I will be expanding the hydro set-up tho for next year and will check out the stores for the Au 60 and the mycorrhizal fungi as I'm keen to get the most out of my grows after slightly more success each of the past two years.  Found the hydro shop in Inglewood was pretty nicely stocked and the lady there was not 'pushy' at all, unlike some of the other stores I've been to in near Cannington/Canning Vale.

I think my problems this year were that I had the flow cycle on too often and a slight gap in the bottom of the pots from the drain line... caused the wet feet / brown roots / black spot issues.  This winter I will be giving this system a fine tune to modify the drainage and also dial back the watering cycles.  Hopefully I will catch these issues sooner next time and with your additive suggestions, rectify more quickly.

One last thing Micca, one of the seeds you sent me grew out to be bright orange bhut type peppers.  It had a really nice tropical flavor and was plenty hot - not sure what strain it was though, but we enjoyed that one particularly :)  

Micca302 said:

Like you say definitely not a Reaper. Maybe a TS?
Wait for some more pods and see how they look. You can get variations in shape depending on weather etc.
Doesn't matter if different plants are grown together they will look like the variety of that particular plant. If you save seeds though you could get lots of different crosses depending on what other plants are around.

Micca

I disagree. I have plenty of pods on my reaper plant that look like that sitting beside pods that look perfectly true to what a reaper should look like.. I found the longer my plant grew the more true the pods looked.

No problem mate.
I have found my outside Hydro channel did very well right into Winter producing Chilli  and have had most plants survive through. I think having it under the eves of the house helped as the system didn't get water logged by the rain and I have a heater in the reservoir as well.
I have to re-do my system now as they haven't done too well. It has been around 5years so I need to do a big clean out and wash the rocks and get out the dead roots etc. It is a big open channel so the plants got huge with massive root balls. Lots of cleaning to do.

Interesting with the Orange Bhut type Chilli there too. Can't remember now what I sent but glad you like them. The Orange coloured Chinenses usually have a great flavour.

Micca

Micca302 said:
No problem mate.
I have found my outside Hydro channel did very well right into Winter producing Chilli  and have had most plants survive through. I think having it under the eves of the house helped as the system didn't get water logged by the rain and I have a heater in the reservoir as well.
I have to re-do my system now as they haven't done too well. It has been around 5years so I need to do a big clean out and wash the rocks and get out the dead roots etc. It is a big open channel so the plants got huge with massive root balls. Lots of cleaning to do.

Interesting with the Orange Bhut type Chilli there too. Can't remember now what I sent but glad you like them. The Orange coloured Chinenses usually have a great flavour.

Micca

I may just leave my plants a while longer... heaps more pods started to set and the orange habanero finally set too, which is good as I love that orange powder on my roast chicken in the winter.

Here are the orange bhuts (grown at my friends house)
20150412_153229_zpscc9aimju.jpg

20150412_153333_zpsgytdxraf.jpg

Made up some sauce with two of them and the rest are dehydrating as I type.

Other good news, Valo said the Aji Limon seeds I sent to him had a high germ rate.  Bad news is my seed stash fell down off the back of the fridge, so next year will be another "mystery year" for pepper growing.  Oh well.

Funny you should post about the orange bhuts. My ghost plant I bought from wild fire turned out to be orange instead of red... They are just ripening at the moment, looking forward to trying them now!

Rainman said:

I may just leave my plants a while longer... heaps more pods started to set and the orange habanero finally set too, which is good as I love that orange powder on my roast chicken in the winter.

Here are the orange bhuts (grown at my friends house)
20150412_153229_zpscc9aimju.jpg

20150412_153333_zpsgytdxraf.jpg

Made up some sauce with two of them and the rest are dehydrating as I type.

Other good news, Valo said the Aji Limon seeds I sent to him had a high germ rate.  Bad news is my seed stash fell down off the back of the fridge, so next year will be another "mystery year" for pepper growing.  Oh well.

Those Orange Bhut's look awesome Rainman. Can you save me some seeds if possible :cool:
Great to hear your hydro's have come good, hope you get a good harvest

Micca

Micca302 said:

Those Orange Bhut's look awesome Rainman. Can you save me some seeds if possible :cool:
Great to hear your hydro's have come good, hope you get a good harvest

Micca

The only seeds I have are those that went through the dehydrator - would they still be viable?  I keep getting too excited and forget to save seeds, always in such as rush to eat, sauce or powder them up!

I think there are still some green peppers on the plant, so will make sure I remember to save some when then ripen (and get some for you).

Bumper said:
Wow, those orange bhuts are huge!!  Please post a taste and heat review, they look delicious.

They tasted tropical.  They are a bit more fleshy than a Habanero, but not as much as a Jalapeno.  Heat was a slow build, back of the tongue and throat feel it.  They are hotter than Habs, Fatalii, etc. but not as fierce as say Douglahs, Jonas etc.  I do prefer this bhut tho to the ones I just mentioned.

I used two in a sauce - that made about 1 litre when mixed with 1 cup of pineapple, half a red capsicum, two small carrots, three garlic cloves and vinegar.  With just those two pods, its probably too hot for nearly all my friends and family. 

Where did you get the seeds from, they sound delicious.  I have a red bhut going gangbusters at the moment, but boy it packs a punch, so the orange sound like the perfect speed/heat limiter to me.  

Rainman said:

The only seeds I have are those that went through the dehydrator - would they still be viable?  I keep getting too excited and forget to save seeds, always in such as rush to eat, sauce or powder them up!

I think there are still some green peppers on the plant, so will make sure I remember to save some when then ripen (and get some for you).

They tasted tropical.  They are a bit more fleshy than a Habanero, but not as much as a Jalapeno.  Heat was a slow build, back of the tongue and throat feel it.  They are hotter than Habs, Fatalii, etc. but not as fierce as say Douglahs, Jonas etc.  I do prefer this bhut tho to the ones I just mentioned.

I used two in a sauce - that made about 1 litre when mixed with 1 cup of pineapple, half a red capsicum, two small carrots, three garlic cloves and vinegar.  With just those two pods, its probably too hot for nearly all my friends and family. 

If you could save some of the ones left on the plant would be great Mate. I think ones in Dehydrator can be ok but the heat must have been kept low or will not be viable.
Sounds like a nice sauce too :-)

Micca

Bumper said:
Where did you get the seeds from, they sound delicious.  I have a red bhut going gangbusters at the moment, but boy it packs a punch, so the orange sound like the perfect speed/heat limiter to me.  

I think the orange bhut came from Micca, but I did also buy some some seeds so I may be mistaken.

Either way, if I have any spare seeds from the next round of pods, I may be able to send you some.  I'm not sure what's left on the plant until I pop over to my friends house next week as we have a joint grow going on.

Cool, thanks for thinking of me.  I can swap a few different seeds, although only red habs, birds eye, and red bhuts in any volume, first year growing.  I do have some reaper, fatalii, and other seeds I can send you a few of.  

Rainman said:

I think the orange bhut came from Micca, but I did also buy some some seeds so I may be mistaken.

Either way, if I have any spare seeds from the next round of pods, I may be able to send you some.  I'm not sure what's left on the plant until I pop over to my friends house next week as we have a joint grow going on.

So I thought I would dig up this thread to see how everyone in WA was getting on.

My chillis arent liking this heat too much, but are going ok! I did have 1 casualty though this week with the super strong winds...my hydro naga king snapped at the base :(

This season for me is all about finding out which varities I like and what growing mediums/methods I prefer so that next season I can down size my grow to suit my upcoming house move.

Any way time for some pics of a few varities....

Ghost

Snapped hydro Naga King 

Pods all off of the snapped naga king

Jays Peach Scorp going nuts

Trinidad VV7

Aji Amarillo

Bishops Hat/Crown

Aji Pineapple

Aji Cito

Hi guys you have some awesome looking plants and pods! I'm in Pinjarra only been here a year from over East. I have 40 plants going just getting first pods now. I'll try and upload pics later if I can work out how to do it with my iPhone.

I upload them to photo bucket, then use the image code pasted into the thread.

I'm north of Perth. I have about 15-20 plants going at the moment. Growing some in coir, some organically and 1 hydroponically. Made my own grow bags this year too, and they are much cheaper and they seem to work!

How did you make your own grow bags? Sounds interesting. Do you mind telling me what medium your growing in?

This is my grow list, I have 40 plants and it's my first decent attempt at growing chillies. I've grown cayenne and lots of varieties of tomatoes for years though.

Carolina Reaper
Scorpion Butch T
Yellow Scorpion
Yellow 7 Pot
Scotch Bonnet Red
Habanero
Choc Habanero
Coles Red Hab
Fatalii
Bhut Jolokia Red
Caramel Bhut
Jays Peach ghost scorp
Red Cap Mushroom
Yellow Cayenne
Orange Chilli
Aji Lemon
Brazilian Starfish
Tabanaga
Baby Morich
Tabasco
Tabasco Yellow
Hawaiian Chilli
Jamaican scotch bonnet yellow

If anyone in WA has too many chillies (if there's such a thing) I'd love to purchase some fresh to try

To make the bags I bought a big roll of good quality weed matting from Bunnings. Then followed a YouTube video on how to sew them up. A worked out that a 20L bag cost me about 15c!

I have coir and perlite in the grow bags. The mix is 2/3 coir, 1/3 perlite.

Cool that sounds easy I'll look it up. How do you feed them if they're just in coir and perlite? Sorry I'm new at growing in containers..

Well you treat it as a hydroponic setup, so feed with every water. I'm using Dutch master products at 900ppm. Seems to be working!

Back