• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How r ur peppers going in Perth west oz?

I was speaking with the owner of good life soil about there mixes. He told me that there soil isn't good for pots because they put some sort of clay in it for water retention. He talked me out of there mixes and sold me a bag of shut instead. He's a top bloke even emailed me a few recipes for making your own potting mix.
I agree mate he is a dam good bloke, and they know now that there soil isnt good for chilli plants in pots, they know the trouble we been having , as i said im not against the company or the guy its just warning ppl not to use it because it retains way to much water , i know he is working with a couple of growers to try and find a good soil for chillis .

But lava if you went there at the beginning of the season he would of sold you the potting mix just like he did to us , he wasnt aware back then , and he is one of these guys that wants feedback on his product so he can fix them , iv talked quite a bit with him and hes one of the good bloke , but the soil he sold me just is crap for chillis ., it must be since they changed the recipe because even the veggie mix i used in all my raised garden beds had the same problem , see they even replaced a whole trailer of the veggie mix for me back then because there was small chunks of smashed glass through the mix , i was digging and sliced my finger open on a piece of glass, they replaced it and said that a few ppl have had the glass problem , and they worked it out that the glass was from a company they got some of the products from to make the mix . he could of played dumb about the glass , but he didnt he was honest about it and to me .

the good life soil company will go a long way because they dont just shrug you of they listen to problems and work to try and fix them , im just telling the truth because i was the one that was pushing this soil at the beginning of the season . just dont want you guys to have the same troubles thats all.

I got a bag of there concentrated veggie mix. Cut it with the existing soil I had and some compost and put it in a raised bed. My veggies are loving it. I'm growing your cucumbers, corn and lettuce.
2A4D0472-2F8D-406D-87F0-C62018BAE540-4847-00000336AD4AAB11.jpg

I got a bag of there concentrated veggie mix. Cut it with the existing soil I had and some compost and put it in a raised bed. My veggies are loving it. I'm growing your cucumbers, corn and lettuce.
2A4D0472-2F8D-406D-87F0-C62018BAE540-4847-00000336AD4AAB11.jpg
1 bag in that bed isnt using there mix , 1 bag is like using it as a fertilizer , i tell u what come to my house and u can have 2 trailer loads of the stuff for free, there veggie mix is not spose to be cut .

If i remember you started your plants in organic mix from some guy in midland in pots? but now there in the ground.

there veggie mix is mixed to use in raised garden beds not to be used as an addin, i filled my raised beds with it just like all of my friends around this area , all are haveing the same problem .. iv repotted half of my plants up and BINGO pods are fresh again but the plants still in the glsc is still rotton..

Offer still stands 2 trailer loads free.

I put 6 healthy plants straight into my raised beds to see what they did , ask kev what they look like now , within a week they turned yellow and lost all the leaves , now i have 6 stems with a bit of fluff on the top lol its a joke, your veggies are growing so well because ur existing soil is good and u used compost .. JUST SAYING..

There is something wrong with the good life , refer back to my previous statements of it smells like methane not rainforest as it use to. Any way had a pick and chop and bit of a dry
My first white 7
64EE5527-F131-4705-868C-E5E189C0B3A1-3733-0000079460F2F187.jpg

Cilli gorong
BAC2603A-9B54-41BA-A198-259F1C60E36B-3733-000007947F4D3249.jpg

Double glove still burning
6A2972FD-831F-48EA-9C7C-D521D4887EE4-210-00000013508FEAF8.jpg

Found this farker
51D282DA-A890-40BB-B0F7-D81AEE565974-210-000000138C226B70.jpg

9373B396-145E-4DBA-9543-B76DCFF9CD03-210-000000139DB14C1D.jpg

End of day
8394019E-F38C-4DF0-A437-F4644614C3A8-210-00000013A7225C42.jpg

Previous dry , pretty happy
CF07DAFA-6349-4ED2-8652-DD7A315E65BB-210-00000013AF0638B4.jpg

Any idea what larva this ? No hole on the pod , it looked perfect . The doggie had been on the bench awhile and looked like it has germd

The mrs took the grub shot , gr8 photo , $hit bug

B18EBDC1-C63C-4BEF-BA42-FF1394A0A096-210-00000013684C0F42.jpg

Doogies in doogies

Good harvest and nice pictures. I love the can't wait to germinate attitude of the Douglahs!

Don't know what that maggot is but I've seen them before and I'm uploading almost identical photos to those now. Will post them in my glog in a moment.

1 bag in that bed isnt using there mix , 1 bag is like using it as a fertilizer , i tell u what come to my house and u can have 2 trailer loads of the stuff for free, there veggie mix is not spose to be cut .

If i remember you started your plants in organic mix from some guy in midland in pots? but now there in the ground.

there veggie mix is mixed to use in raised garden beds not to be used as an addin, i filled my raised beds with it just like all of my friends around this area , all are haveing the same problem .. iv repotted half of my plants up and BINGO pods are fresh again but the plants still in the glsc is still rotton..

Offer still stands 2 trailer loads free.

I put 6 healthy plants straight into my raised beds to see what they did , ask kev what they look like now , within a week they turned yellow and lost all the leaves , now i have 6 stems with a bit of fluff on the top lol its a joke, your veggies are growing so well because ur existing soil is good and u used compost .. JUST SAYING..
I used the "concentrated" veggie mix. It is supposed to be cut. The organic shit I was using had the same problem as good life soil. It held too much moisture. Not because it had clay like good life but because it had water crystals.

Dude, I'm not disputing at all that their soil is shit for chillies. The owner even told me so him self. I'm just saying Its not all bad for growing different stuff. You can keep your trailer load lol.

There is something wrong with the good life , refer back to my previous statements of it smells like methane not rainforest as it use to. Any way had a pick and chop and bit of a dry
My first white 7

Cilli gorong

Double glove still burning

Found this farker
51D282DA-A890-40BB-B0F7-D81AEE565974-210-000000138C226B70.jpg

9373B396-145E-4DBA-9543-B76DCFF9CD03-210-000000139DB14C1D.jpg

End of day
8394019E-F38C-4DF0-A437-F4644614C3A8-210-00000013A7225C42.jpg

Previous dry , pretty happy

Any idea what larva this ? No hole on the pod , it looked perfect . The doggie had been on the bench awhile and looked like it has germd

The mrs took the grub shot , gr8 photo , $hit bug

Doogies in doogies
oh man those grubs make me wild!!!
I'm finding them in my chilies and in my tomatos!!
I've been told tomato dust will stop those...so i might grab some from bunnings and put them on my tomatos and chilies.

My aunty was telling me there is a new type of grub around that was being discussed on the radio recently which destroying crops and peoples back yards and apparently its a new one!
the Gardening lady on the radio has sent a grub in to the dep of ag i think I think it was...to be identified.
I've found several of them in my garden now! eating tomatos and chilies. not just the fruit but leaves aswell!!
here is a photo of one of them and what it did to my tomato. Looks like another enemy has been added to my list!

edit...those suckers above do bore holes but as tiny grubs...the actuall hole is tiny and i think they grow inside the chili.
I've only noticed them chewing on my not so hot chilies...I dont know if they can handle super hots
P1030560_zps219eb6f6.jpg

I used the "concentrated" veggie mix. It is supposed to be cut. The organic shit I was using had the same problem as good life soil. It held too much moisture. Not because it had clay like good life but because it had water crystals.

Dude, I'm not disputing at all that their soil is shit for chillies. The owner even told me so him self. I'm just saying Its not all bad for growing different stuff. You can keep your trailer load lol.
By coming out and telling moo about the trouble we been having , all i was trying to do is save him the heart ache we have had. when you buy a trailer load of veggie mix and it compacted so much that carrots wont grow past an 3 inches, thats pretty bad, my corn was in for 3 months and did not get any bigger than when i planted them they were about 6 inches , Kev i know you had the same problem with you amazing carrots lol , not sure if you have a pic of your 3 month old carrots.

The whole idea in buying there organic veggie mix is to be able to fill your raised beds up and plant straight into it , and not have to ad ferts, thats why its expensice per trailer load but nothing grew , yes tomatos grew but every tomato had BER before they were ripe , all capsicums leaves rinkled up and died .

Now if it was only me who had this problem id blame my bad gardening methods , but i know quite alot of growers around this area , many i have met through growing chillis , all of them tried the glsc and all had the same problem mate ,Not to float my own boat but i have grown up on property growing veggies for market in wanneroo for over 20 years, so you kinda know when things arent right.

Im not trying to bag this guy out , im just baggin the soil out ..

A good way of knowing there is something wrong with soil is to watch 6 perfectly good chilli plants turn yellow and drop its leaves within a week ..

As for kevs MONSANTO GM worm , well thats another story ..

Kev last time you thought u had mites you used protection , As its coming up Australia day and now you have WORM's. may i suggest these....

IMG_2880.jpg

oh man those grubs make me wild!!!
I'm finding them in my chilies and in my tomatos!!
I've been told tomato dust will stop those...so i might grab some from bunnings and put them on my tomatos and chilies.

My aunty was telling me there is a new type of grub around that was being discussed on the radio recently which destroying crops and peoples back yards and apparently its a new one!
the Gardening lady on the radio has sent a grub in to the dep of ag i think I think it was...to be identified.
I've found several of them in my garden now! eating tomatos and chilies. not just the fruit but leaves aswell!!
here is a photo of one of them and what it did to my tomato. Looks like another enemy has been added to my list!

edit...those suckers above do bore holes but as tiny grubs...the actuall hole is tiny and i think they grow inside the chili.
I've only noticed them chewing on my not so hot chilies...I dont know if they can handle super hots
P1030560_zps219eb6f6.jpg
Super david , I was told once by a Horticulturist friend of mine that the powder and dust for tomatos is kinda toxic, , he pointed out all the crap thats in it and told me to go the low toxic way , not sure if you have herd of this or not , but its as close to organic as u can get.

http://www.yates.com.au/products/pest-control/insects-concentrates/natures-way-caterpillar-killer-dipel/

By coming out and telling moo about the trouble we been having , all i was trying to do is save him the heart ache we have had. when you buy a trailer load of veggie mix and it compacted so much that carrots wont grow past an 3 inches, thats pretty bad, my corn was in for 3 months and did not get any bigger than when i planted them they were about 6 inches , Kev i know you had the same problem with you amazing carrots lol , not sure if you have a pic of your 3 month old carrots.

The whole idea in buying there organic veggie mix is to be able to fill your raised beds up and plant straight into it , and not have to ad ferts, thats why its expensice per trailer load but nothing grew , yes tomatos grew but every tomato had BER before they were ripe , all capsicums leaves rinkled up and died .

Now if it was only me who had this problem id blame my bad gardening methods , but i know quite alot of growers around this area , many i have met through growing chillis , all of them tried the glsc and all had the same problem mate ,Not to float my own boat but i have grown up on property growing veggies for market in wanneroo for over 20 years, so you kinda know when things arent right.

Im not trying to bag this guy out , im just baggin the soil out ..

A good way of knowing there is something wrong with soil is to watch 6 perfectly good chilli plants turn yellow and drop its leaves within a week ..

As for kevs MONSANTO GM worm , well thats another story ..

Kev last time you thought u had mites you used protection , As its coming up Australia day and now you have WORM's. may i suggest these....

Super david , I was told once by a Horticulturist friend of mine that the powder and dust for tomatos is kinda toxic, , he pointed out all the crap thats in it and told me to go the low toxic way , not sure if you have herd of this or not , but its as close to organic as u can get.

http://www.yates.com...r-killer-dipel/
nice! I'll look that one up!

Hey guys just a quick question do these seeds look ok?
831F076B-16EE-40E3-A67C-A548CBE045EA-2260-000002E7C7723782_zps0f26977a.jpg

It's the little orange bits hanging off the scorpion seeds that made me wonder?

They look much better than the seeds I received from the company a few years ago. ;) Maybe new management has stepped it up. The dispatch and delivery times still SUCK from what I hear though. Nonetheless, hope they grow good and true for ya!

The orange/red bits are just placenta/flesh.

Where you'd rather be
AEC7D6FC-B286-4A22-8A55-189AA7C15CEA-3284-000002267014E1C8.jpg

Hey guys just a quick question do these seeds look ok?
831F076B-16EE-40E3-A67C-A548CBE045EA-2260-000002E7C7723782_zps0f26977a.jpg

It's the little orange bits hanging off the scorpion seeds that made me wonder?
I have brought seeds from this vendor. 95% Germ rate and they are true varieties. I would recommend the chilli seed bank any day.

I bought seeds from those guys and mostly they are good, but I did get a bad batch of guajillo seeds and none of them would sprout! When I let them know they quickly sent me two seed packs of red and yellow jamacains!

Back