• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How r ur peppers going in Perth west oz?

My rocoto I posted about last week has been deteriorating at a steady rate! I started watering it less to see if improved at all, but it just got worse if anything! I've dug it out of the garden bed and potted it with some decent potting mix, it seems the back part of my garden bed was mostly sand as I had not mixed the soil/potting mix around well enough and this is where the rocoto was! I'm hoping that's the problem, it was also getting blasted by the sun, I've heard rocotos prefer cooler weather?
So after potting him in new soil I completely trimmed back all the bad growth, and watered with a bit of seasol, should I fertilize it? And if so what sort of fert? I've also moved it to an area of my garden covered by a shade cloth.

I'm fairly certain the rocotos prefer cooler weather. I've got one going hydroponicly and it has grown well and is flowering alot but the leaves get burnt on the hot days and even though some of the flowers have hung on after the petals have dropped off I've had no chilies...they just eventually die off. Good ph, good oxygen in the water and the nutrients are at a good level. I'm certain its just the hot weather. I think come the tail end of summer they'll start fruiting nicely

My rocoto I posted about last week has been deteriorating at a steady rate! I started watering it less to see if improved at all, but it just got worse if anything! I've dug it out of the garden bed and potted it with some decent potting mix, it seems the back part of my garden bed was mostly sand as I had not mixed the soil/potting mix around well enough and this is where the rocoto was! I'm hoping that's the problem, it was also getting blasted by the sun, I've heard rocotos prefer cooler weather?
So after potting him in new soil I completely trimmed back all the bad growth, and watered with a bit of seasol, should I fertilize it? And if so what sort of fert? I've also moved it to an area of my garden covered by a shade cloth.

Does the potting mix contain fertiliser? What type of potting mix did you use when transplanting it?

Hitting the wrong combination of fertiliser included in a potting mix and fertiliser supplied when watering may result in burn to the growth tips of your Rocoto.

I'm fairly certain the rocotos prefer cooler weather. I've got one going hydroponicly and it has grown well and is flowering alot but the leaves get burnt on the hot days and even though some of the flowers have hung on after the petals have dropped off I've had no chilies...they just eventually die off. Good ph, good oxygen in the water and the nutrients are at a good level. I'm certain its just the hot weather. I think come the tail end of summer they'll start fruiting nicely

I have a couple of hybrids (Not-Locato) that handled the extreme heat well in their position shaded under a tree. I decided to water them several times a day during the extreme heat rather than flood the plants in the morning. This helped cool the root system.

seasol will do until it bounces back.

Ok plants look munted, been crook last few days ( non booze related :) ) so back 2 it now ,heaps of pods to pic but funky stuff going on , a lot of sunburn and no water for a while = stuffed gear so will lose a few ,pics to follow

Need a good chilli mung :) if that's right

e61c1f96d7eb1d06fb697655c08c9835.jpg

All hail the green god provider of distorted realism, the giver of wankness and makes a gr8 fertiliser :)

Ok plants look munted, been crook last few days ( non booze related :) ) so back 2 it now ,heaps of pods to pic but funky stuff going on , a lot of sunburn and no water for a while = stuffed gear so will lose a few ,pics to follow

Need a good chilli mung :) if that's right

e61c1f96d7eb1d06fb697655c08c9835.jpg

All hail the green god provider of distorted realism, the giver of wankness and makes a gr8 fertiliser :)
Haha love a good VB king brown!

Thanks for the info guys, the potting mix is miracle grow-general purpose, it contains a slow release fertilizer but doesn't say what's in it.

I've heard bad stuff about miracle grow. I hope you mixed it with something because it won't drain, it's probably got soil wetter in it.

But don't take my advice. All I know is what to NOT use as potting mix. Haven't found anything that works well yet :(

f**k! Haha, well what should I do! Leave it in there? See what happens or pull him out? So far he hasn't liked anything?

f**k! Haha, well what should I do! Leave it in there? See what happens or pull him out? So far he hasn't liked anything?
I haven't had much luck with potting mix until now. 3 parts manure (must be well composted). 2 parts compost. 1 part sand. 1 part perlite. 1 part vermiculite and half part saw dust. Mix in a hand full of pelletised chook shit for food and a bit of fish emulsion (mixed with water of course) to get the bacteria cranking. Once you've potted up just give them a bit of seasol to help them on their way.

Hmm not too sure exactly it's pretty big probably about 30cm high by 30cm in diameter?? I don't know how many litres it would hold? Hang on ill take a photo

C1B70AA2-7003-4922-A3E2-4AC47DE46E19-748-000001365764E1C2_zpsf7016ae0.jpg

2A330144-CFD2-4203-97A5-740E0C248E20-748-0000013662DF92D0_zpse9ccee55.jpg

1 big one in the middle, it was the only empty pot I had at the time

That's not adequate for drainage. There will be issues keeping the potting mix aerated. The pot also appears to be sitting flat in a dish making matters worse.

I'll rectify the situation :)

I haven't had much luck with potting mix until now. 3 parts manure (must be well composted). 2 parts compost. 1 part sand. 1 part perlite. 1 part vermiculite and half part saw dust. Mix in a hand full of pelletised chook shit for food and a bit of fish emulsion (mixed with water of course) to get the bacteria cranking. Once you've potted up just give them a bit of seasol to help them on their way.
Thanks mate ill keep this in mind for next time :)

That sounds really rich, how are the plants doing in it?

For my last potting up I used 8 mixes made from different ratios of:
mushroom compost,
sheep manure,
worm castings mixed with coco coir
naked farmer soil activator
pine bark mulch
`landscape mix` soil
dynamic lifter

Had run out of Perlite or I would have used that too.

Wrote everything down and marked each pot with which mix I used so I'll know what works. I'm really trying to find something that will do well in pots.

Moo the best season iv had since i have been growing has been when i stuck to Neil Smiths mix , this season iv had trouble buy using Glsc potting soil , so i been trying some mixes , and its working great ..

Do a trial for yourself, 1 bag of baileys potting mix, 30% perlite, half a littre of dynamic lifter pellets, and thats it , and only feed 1/4 strength nutes , say chilli focus every 3rd water , and only water when they need it. the plants i now have growing in that mix look bloody great , all my reapers are in that mix and going mad. will post some pics tomoz.

Im trying that mix without coco coir and also trying that mix with 1 small block of coco coir but the one without the wetting agent in it.

I actually tried neil's mix last season when I had everything in buckets. They stalled and died from waterlogged soil. I think I had the coir-peat bricks with the soil wetter added.

Hmm not too sure exactly it's pretty big probably about 30cm high by 30cm in diameter?? I don't know how many litres it would hold? Hang on ill take a photo

C1B70AA2-7003-4922-A3E2-4AC47DE46E19-748-000001365764E1C2_zpsf7016ae0.jpg

2A330144-CFD2-4203-97A5-740E0C248E20-748-0000013662DF92D0_zpse9ccee55.jpg
Get rid of the tray put it on a small bit of wood and wack it in full sun ,the new growth will harden to it and it should take off , no fert for a while just water every couple of days

Lol and pull out what's dead behind it and chuck a Chilli in that pot

Back