• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How r ur peppers going in Perth west oz?

Red Rocotto doing well! big pods this time round!
P1040011_zpsfa0f4611.jpg

What heat mat are/were you using? All my seeds popped up apart from my Trinidad scorpion only 1 of 8 so far but it's only been 9 days, my heat may doesn't have a thermostat so I'm not sure how hot it is, supposedly 5-10 degrees above room temp. Might buy a thermometer this weekend! I've got more seeds I need to get going on the mat as I only have one and impatiently planted 3 lots of 24 seed propogator's lol

I got a.heat matt of wildfire chilli i think not sure the wattage or anything. Its ok not great. Trying to get a reasonable controlled temp is very difficult. i eventually got it to sit around 30d. Had to have a 3 inch gap between the matt and the seedling tray and some tea towels. A thermometer is a must. Might be abit much but i have 3 one at each end and the middle. I would def look at getting one that has a temp controller of some sort. But saying that i have plenty of chilli seedlings under lamps :D. One of each under the led and the cfl see how it goes.

I saw a photo online of a school experiment growing seeds on a wireless router.  I think it was alfalfa or sprouts or something.  The ones on the router barely germinated compared to others that were normal.  I think they were implying that the wifi signals interfered with the growing seeds somehow.  So assuming the experiment was done right... you might not want to put the seeds directly on the router.   Of course its equally likely that you just can't believe everything you see on the internet. :P

I've got Serrano seeds you can have nemspy.  PM me your address and I'll send you some.

I grew all my seeds behind my fridge. Check behind your fridges guys, most, of not all, fridges have one point at the rear of a fridge where they exhaust and expel heat either off the metal or via a fan. Mine did both. Temps there were bang on 26c and I germinate my seeds there until I got my seedmat..

Just wanna ask you guys since you're all local, I don't have the materials or time to make my own compost and since most my plants are going into pots, I need advice on the potting mix. Which brand potting mix do you all use and do you add any other additives to it?

I'm trying to treat a damn gnat fungus issue now. Only seen about 6 flying buggers but already wiped off about 30 eggs off the surface and tested with a 1:4 ratio of hydrogen peroxide to water (3% stuff) to see if it kills them. I lost one seedling to their havoc and another to being a helmet head.

megamoo said:
I saw a photo online of a school experiment growing seeds on a wireless router.  I think it was alfalfa or sprouts or something.  The ones on the router barely germinated compared to others that were normal.  I think they were implying that the wifi signals interfered with the growing seeds somehow.  So assuming the experiment was done right... you might not want to put the seeds directly on the router.   Of course its equally likely that you just can't believe everything you see on the internet. :P

I've got Serrano seeds you can have nemspy.  PM me your address and I'll send you some.
I guess it would depend on the size of the box weather enough heat is getting in.
Everything has been sprouting ok so far for a couple of seasons.  All my chilies, jumbo pumpkin, spaghetti pumpkin, watermelon, jumbo watermelon, beans and rock melon.
I think they just had too much on a little router, it only just puts out enough heat to get it done.

Sarge said:
II need advice on the potting mix. Which brand potting mix do you all use and do you add any other additives to it?

I like to use this stuff while my plants are still in pots. I just use straight out of the bag and I don't bother using any fertilizers for up to a month after repotting. Get it from any Bunnings.

47-115-thickbox.jpg

Edit: Forgot to add the picture.

Hey guys anyone over in perth doing a glog? Or if not, how far along are you guys in your grow? The weather has been terrible! I've got around 150 seedlings on the go, but only started 2-3 weeks ago, so still early days!

Andy21 said:
Hey guys anyone over in perth doing a glog? Or if not, how far along are you guys in your grow? The weather has been terrible! I've got around 150 seedlings on the go, but only started 2-3 weeks ago, so still early days!
I didnt chop down a few of my plants from last season, so I'm just waiting for my full size plants with no leaves to kick into gear! my Red Rocotto is loaded up and has been for some time now.
But my Brain Strain, Carolina Reaper, and Moruga are mostly bare.  Oh yeah my jamaican red never lost its leaves and has fresh pods on it now.

Sounds good, yeah I have a few plants from last year that just stopped growing, they kept most of their leaves as they are in a pretty sheltered spot, put them in a mini greenhouse from masters 2 weeks ago as I was hoping to give them a bit of a boost, seems to have helped, here's a couple of photos of what I have, my 2 bhut jolokias got sick a couple of weeks ago but seem to be on the mend now, still looking a bit fragile though!
null_zpsd3b73e4e.jpg

null_zps3886206c.jpg

null_zpsd73192be.jpg

null_zps70b8144c.jpg

null_zpse2b7cc04.jpg

null_zps97173af5.jpg

null_zps8f87201c.jpg

null_zpsd9399428.jpg

They took a bit of a roasting this morning so hoping they bounce back! Think they should be fine apart from maybe 1-2 of the seedlings!

With planting in pots out in the garden. What size of pots would should be used. I normally grow in beds. Never growen in pots.

dazza82 said:
With planting in pots out in the garden. What size of pots would should be used. I normally grow in beds. Never growen in pots.
I dont officially know, but I would say the bigger the better! I'm sure someone can come an tell you how many litres they should be.  I grow a couple in half wine barrels and the rest of mine are hydroponic.

Winter has taken its toll down here on my coastal balcony down in Bunbury. My big Jalapeno has turned into a dry, wooden stick. I'm almost certain it's dead and the same is true of a little plant I got going from seeds from those long, red chillies from Coles -- some sort of Thai I'm sure. Neither is a tragic loss as they are easily purchased at the shops if you want them; however, I am of the school of thought that you should always have access to some jalapenos so as soon as I'm 100% certain its gone I'll rip it out and replace with one of the seedlings I've gotten going.

Below: Probably dead Jalapeno in the centre - Butch T (left, square pot) Fatalii (reddish pot) coming back. Neither got to fruiting size last season.

10028637134_9cf2d56717_c.jpg

Purple Capsicum, probably something I can live without, looks to be dying. Aji Omni to its left, unknown Chinense in extreme right foreground and something else I've forgotten just in front all coming back to some extent.

10028721096_644bbca606_c.jpg

Seedlings that I started in Very late August and have had out on my balcony with the warmer plugged in. Left hand side are the oldest.

10028667974_6ac2b0b1bb_b.jpg

Hungarian Black is flowering already.

10028726916_e5e1b22599_b.jpg

Chocolate Bhut (one of my rescues last season from Megamoo) kept leaves all winter up at Mum's place in Perth. Not sure if I should cut it back a bit or let it go? Opinions? Another Megamoo plant to the right - Habanero rojo isn't looking so crash, but it might be ok.

10028701865_ccf14399e0_b.jpg

In other news, I picked up some of that Debco organic potting mix above from Masters in Baldivis so thanks for that tip. Will report on how it goes later in the season.

I'll finish with a question for the more experienced. When should I begin fertalising my sticks to bring them back? I don't want to shock them or anything while they are still shooting, but some of them are very slow going. Obviously its still a bit colder down here.

Hey Chilliheads what the hell happened with Spring?
Been up in beautiful sunny Exmouth fishing for the last 2 weeks and expected to come back to some nice warmth.
Well looks like u guys never got out of winter! Storms, mini cyclones rain etc whoahhhh!

Hopefully I have brought back some of the nice weather and things start to warm up a bit.

Happy Chilli Growing,
Micca

The winds here in Sydney are brutal, they're blowing >70km/h and have been for a few weeks now. Really makes it hard to get my seedlings outside under some light, risking the wind breaking them. Ontop of that its 34c and dry as hell, the plants wilt in about 5 minutes of sun exposure. The change from winter to spring was not subtle at all, very high winds with dry hot weather. Really gonna be a bad year this year.

I don't know why my seedlings look like midgets compared to alot I see here. Some of my 1.5 month old seedlings are tiny compared to these and my month old seedlings are still on there damn cotyeldons! Gonna try something different when I grow my next seeds, don't think I did anything entirely wrong since I did get good germ rates just very slow growths.

Hey Nemspy unfortunately looks like your Jalapeno has gone to the great Chilli gods in the sky.
Chilli's are pretty good at bouncing back as long as the stem is still green and there is at least a node where it can shoot from.

With the Bhut i would cat it back a little(my opinion). Looks like it is branching well and is up to you. If left it will probably grow a monster of a plant :P

Ferts i'm not too sure about. If you do feed them any make sure it is a weak mix.
I have been trying out Uplift from Yates and has been working well(last season).

Micca

Those little seedlings sure wont like those winds there Sarge.
Maybe try to do some sort of wind break for them? Sounds like you guys are getting it real hot over there too, whoahh!
Soon enough it will be scorching over here too. Man gotta love 40+Deg summers!

Micca

Back