• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Husker21's FLOG (what the hell is a flog?)

Food log?  My garden isn't pimp enough to warrant a glog this season.  I want to start contributing something I have some knowledge in to the forum.  JoynersPepper's thread also inspired me.  http://thehotpepper.com/topic/32869-my-obsession-with-heat-and-food/  Some amazing looking food coming out of his kitchen.

I will start off with a quick one.  These jals from my garden are stuffed with diced imported salami (cant remember from where but this stuff is from the local specialty Italian shop) and a smoked mozz cream cheese spread (also from the same shop as the salami).  The cheese spread was flavorful enough on its own.  I just mixed the salami, spread, and a little bit of shredded cheddar and stuffed these guys.  Rigged up a ghetto popper cooking apparatus until I can get a real one.  There is also an obligatory shot of the pork tenderloins I made that night as well.  

Before
photo4_zpseefb97a2.jpg

During
photo5_zps61d2163f.jpg

After
photo6_zps03ff4a20.jpg

I canned 9 jars of this stuff last night.  Orange habs, pineapple, onion, garlic, carrot, vinegar, and salt.  I took a straight teaspoon of this a little while ago.  Good heat but not a real mouth burner.  Really great taste and the pineapple is there but not overdone.  I will def use this recipe/ratio again.

photo1_zpsf712dc8d.jpg

I liked this stuff so much a put a couple of heaping tablespoons over the mexican lasagna I had leftover from last night .  I used tortillas as the 'noodle', refried beans, black olives, lots of cheese and a mixture of ground beef/pork.  This was better leftover with the hab sauce.

photo_zps4c1e6fcd.jpg

DeBo said:
I have a bunch of peach habs, mind sharing your ratios for that sauce?
Sure....

30 orange habs
1/2 fresh pineapple
1 medium onion
4 cloves garlic
1 carrot
1cup white vinegar
1 teaspoon salt

I blended all the ingredients and then brought it to a steady simmer for about 15 mins. I then filled my jars and processed in a hot water bath for 15 mins. This batch turned out to have a ph of 3.94. The viscosity of this was closer to a purée than a liquidy sauce. I kinda like the constancy of it since it clings to food vs just dripping off. I used Alabama Jack's recipe as my starting point. This yielded 9 4 oz. jars.

I used this stuff again tonight on a ham provolone and chicken roll up i baked in the oven.

Chewi said:
NICE!!!!!! Dig those sauces man!
This one does it to me. This is the fieriest sauce/jam to date. Inching my tolerance up there slowly. :)

More hab sauce this weekend. I am also going to do a moruga scorpion and either cranberry or raspberry for the holidays.

Had to sample the goods I just produced. Moruga Scorpion and Raspberry Jam on some sourdough toast with a lil' butter. Whiskey samples start 15 minutes before we go trick or treating with the kids.

image_zps00e20d72.jpg

Boneless center cut pork loin. Rubbed it with; smoked paprika, chili powder, onion and garlic powder, sage, coriander, celery seed, fennel, raw sugar, salt and pepper. Seared it on the grill and then parked it in a low temp oven with some rough chopped carrots, parsnips, butternut squash, and onion. Keeping this tame with the heat. By my slices will be topped with some of my peach/yellow 7 pot or raspberry/moruga scorpion jam.  This is before going into the oven.  I will try to post a plated pic later. :)  Depends on the whiskey...

image_zpsc27ca3c4.jpg

Looks good!

Husker21 said:
I will try to post a plated pic later. :)  Depends on the whiskey...
So whiskey won? :D
You know that alcohol is man's enemy but who runs away form enemy is coward! :D
You choose to fight, so no shame! :D

Essegi said:
Looks good!

So whiskey won? :D
You know that alcohol is man's enemy but who runs away form enemy is coward! :D
You choose to fight, so no shame! :D
Lol. Yeah the whiskey won. The peach jam worked great with the pork. But the roasted vegg was awesome. Pork fat makes everything taste better!

Just made some more whole wheat pizza dough.  I think I am gonna go all fried egg on top of this pie.  Thinking about a barrackpore to heat this one up!

Penny said:
The mystery maple sauce, and the jam looks so good, and the pork loin........yummy!! ;)

That mystery sauce goes on everything these days.  I have been mixing a big spoonful into hummus for a snack.Takes a good store bought hummus to another level.

Its always amazing how homemade sauces can make food taste so much better, be sure to save some for the long winter months. ;)

Back