• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Husker21's FLOG (what the hell is a flog?)

Food log?  My garden isn't pimp enough to warrant a glog this season.  I want to start contributing something I have some knowledge in to the forum.  JoynersPepper's thread also inspired me.  http://thehotpepper.com/topic/32869-my-obsession-with-heat-and-food/  Some amazing looking food coming out of his kitchen.

I will start off with a quick one.  These jals from my garden are stuffed with diced imported salami (cant remember from where but this stuff is from the local specialty Italian shop) and a smoked mozz cream cheese spread (also from the same shop as the salami).  The cheese spread was flavorful enough on its own.  I just mixed the salami, spread, and a little bit of shredded cheddar and stuffed these guys.  Rigged up a ghetto popper cooking apparatus until I can get a real one.  There is also an obligatory shot of the pork tenderloins I made that night as well.  

Before
photo4_zpseefb97a2.jpg

During
photo5_zps61d2163f.jpg

After
photo6_zps03ff4a20.jpg

Husker21 said:
Thanks Essegi. We pickled up a Canon Rebel T3i. It came with the usual EFS 18-55mm lens and a telescopic lens. I want to pick up a macro lens for close ups of food..... ummmm I mean my kids. :)
The Canon 100mm MACRO is amazing! Spoil yourself and get one if possible. 

MACRO and insects can be really fun!

5769391080_ae725142c1_b.jpg

Digging the FLOG, have fun and take tons of pictures. Food pictures are difficult to make look right and capture what you want to achieve. I have a ton to learn in that area for sure. 

JoynersHotPeppers said:
The Canon 100mm MACRO is amazing! Spoil yourself and get one if possible. 

MACRO and insects can be really fun!

Digging the FLOG, have fun and take tons of pictures. Food pictures are difficult to make look right and capture what you want to achieve. I have a ton to learn in that area for sure. 

Yup the macro is on the list.  Part of what made me start this FLOG is your thread.  Amazing how food pics make me drool!  And inspire me!  

Thin sliced some leftover flank steak. Layered it on top of some ciabatta and hit it with a cilantro/garlic/sour cream, quick pickled carrots and shallots, monty jack cheese,and a sliced red savina pepper.  Pannini pressed this guy with lots o butter.  Real nice lunch today!

gallery_8228_122_4388706.jpg

Husker21 said:
Thin sliced some leftover flank steak. Layered it on top of some ciabatta and hit it with a cilantro/garlic/sour cream, quick pickled carrots and shallots, monty jack cheese,and a sliced red savina pepper.  Pannini pressed this guy with lots o butter.  Real nice lunch today!

gallery_8228_122_4388706.jpg

Husker - please get this piece of heaven posted in the Sandwich of the Month thread?!?!   :pray:

Thatsa whole lotta awesome right there!!!!!! BOOM!!!!!

JayT said:
Looks good.  Any dressing?

Yup.  I was in a bit of a rush and used a prepared dressing.  It from a local CT winery and is damn good.  One of the few dressings I will buy in a store.

what was it?  A vinaigrette?  I really liked the one I used last night with my salad.  It was an sesame orange one.  It was from a store, but it is a small batch organic one.

JayT said:
what was it?  A vinaigrette?  I really liked the one I used last night with my salad.  It was an sesame orange one.  It was from a store, but it is a small batch organic one.

I almost want to call it a creamy vinaigrette.  It is nicely emulsified and looks creamy.  But I don't believe there is any mayo or dairy in it.  I love it on spinach salads with bard boiled eggs, some breakfast style sauasge and sauteed shallots and shrooms.  

Wow, salad really is good.  Now I want a spinach salad.  :)

Sauteed some onion, garlic, carrot, dried apricots, and sun dried tomato.  Hit it with some chicken base and then added in red quinoa and water.  Garnished with some crushed cashews.  I was in a rush so I didn't have time to dry roast the nuts in a pan.  Tasty and healthy!

003_zps4a13ea20.jpg

This was sort of a chicken milanese type dish. I made up the recipe with what I had. The sauce on the chicken is chicken stock, sherry, shallots, garlic, capers, and parsley. Served alongside mashed potato, brocoli rabe, and wheat ciabatta.

009_zpsddfbb0e7.jpg

Back