• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Husker21's FLOG (what the hell is a flog?)

Food log?  My garden isn't pimp enough to warrant a glog this season.  I want to start contributing something I have some knowledge in to the forum.  JoynersPepper's thread also inspired me.  http://thehotpepper.com/topic/32869-my-obsession-with-heat-and-food/  Some amazing looking food coming out of his kitchen.

I will start off with a quick one.  These jals from my garden are stuffed with diced imported salami (cant remember from where but this stuff is from the local specialty Italian shop) and a smoked mozz cream cheese spread (also from the same shop as the salami).  The cheese spread was flavorful enough on its own.  I just mixed the salami, spread, and a little bit of shredded cheddar and stuffed these guys.  Rigged up a ghetto popper cooking apparatus until I can get a real one.  There is also an obligatory shot of the pork tenderloins I made that night as well.  

Before
photo4_zpseefb97a2.jpg

During
photo5_zps61d2163f.jpg

After
photo6_zps03ff4a20.jpg

Really tasty and rich.  But that barrackpore is no joke!

image_zps64297aec.jpg

image_zpsb2f4a847.jpg

Penny said:
Its always amazing how homemade sauces can make food taste so much better, be sure to save some for the long winter months. ;)

Agreed.  Lots of mystery pods in the freezer.  Lots of experimenting ahead!

I had the barrackpore trifecta:
- searing mouth burn accompanied by runny nose and watery eyes
- rubbed my eye several hours after cooking and manually applied mace in one of my eyes
- morning ring if fire....

Ah ah that was hard!

Anayway, egg on pizza is actually a good choice!
Eggs+bacons+black pepper on pizza is very good. Here you call it carbonara because it has nearly same ingredients of carbonara pasta.

Essegi said:
Ah ah that was hard!

Anayway, egg on pizza is actually a good choice!
Eggs+bacons+black pepper on pizza is very good. Here you call it carbonara because it has nearly same ingredients of carbonara pasta.

Mmmm I like that combo with a a lot of ground pepper.

Tonight I am making sliders with a red onion/fig/red wine jam and a soft style blue cheese called cambozola (camembare/gorganola?).  Cast iron skillet treatment for the burgers! Pics to come.

Just introducing the band members for the upcoming "jam" session.  The only member missing is red wine.  My wife is out retrieving him right now.  

image_zpsa2e8cc6d.jpg

I need to replace some lights on my covered porch.  Can't appreciate the CI in this shot.  

image_zps5e85c62f.jpg

These were awesome.  Well balanced.  Maybe a little more cheese next time.  But that jam ROCKED!  Some broccolini on the side.

image_zpsa1226181.jpg

Playing around with the new camera and my food.   :)

Tuna, mayo, sour cream, dijon, avocado, carrot, relish, onion & garlic pow, s&p.

gallery_8228_122_209874.jpg

Served on a toasted whole wheat potato slider roll with sriracha and parsley just to add something green.

gallery_8228_122_4572622.jpg

Husker21 said:
Playing around with the new camera and my food.   :)

Tuna, mayo, sour cream, dijon, avocado, carrot, relish, onion & garlic pow, s&p.

Served on a toasted whole wheat potato slider roll with sriracha and parsley just to add something green.

Nice dish!
Wich camera/lens have you bought?

Essegi said:
Nice dish!
Wich camera/lens have you bought?
Thanks Essegi. We pickled up a Canon Rebel T3i. It came with the usual EFS 18-55mm lens and a telescopic lens. I want to pick up a macro lens for close ups of food..... ummmm I mean my kids. :)

Nice! Here is known as 600d. Imho (i'm a newbie, i bougth my first camera 2 months ago, a Pentax K-5, so my words don't count) you have done a great buy, afaik it's the best money/quality ratio Canon entry level, at least in Italy (and i suppose in Europe too)... Following (t4i and t5i) has some added features but basically it's the same machine but more expensive afaik...

Essegi said:
Nice! Here is known as 600d. Imho (i'm a newbie, i bougth my first camera 2 months ago, a Pentax K-5, so my words don't count) you have done a great buy, afaik it's the best money/quality ratio Canon entry level, at least in Italy (and i suppose in Europe too)... Following (t4i and t5i) has some added features but basically it's the same machine but more expensive afaik...
Good to hear. We are happy so far. Gotta great deal on the package.

Wish I could like that burger post more than once, they look fantastic.

Husker21 said:
Thanks Essegi. We pickled up a Canon Rebel T3i. It came with the usual EFS 18-55mm lens and a telescopic lens. I want to pick up a macro lens for close ups of food..... ummmm I mean my kids.  :)

If the tele has a decent reach, try backing up about 5ft and zooming in on the food, then set the aperture to ~8 to get a very macro-ish look to the photo without a really pricey lens.

Of course, you'll want good light, a tripod, and a remote or set the camera to the 2 second timer.

Edit:
Lets do that again, this is a shot from 2ft away. Shot with a 18-135mm kit lens at f/10.

In the middle, 7 pot white, pear, and ginger jam.  The jam is surrounded by orange hab, mixed mystery pods, and mango sauce.  Added carrot, onion, garlic, honey, white wine vinegar, s&p to the sauce as well.

gallery_8228_122_602978.jpg

Made some one pot gumbo-like goodness as well.  

Had to cook some of that yummy fat out of the andouille to saute the veg

gallery_8228_122_3182713.jpg

gallery_8228_122_2419298.jpg

gallery_8228_122_689945.jpg

Spork said:
Wish I could like that burger post more than once, they look fantastic.

If the tele has a decent reach, try backing up about 5ft and zooming in on the food, then set the aperture to ~8 to get a very macro-ish look to the photo without a really pricey lens.

Of course, you'll want good light, a tripod, and a remote or set the camera to the 2 second timer.

Edit:
Lets do that again, this is a shot from 2ft away. Shot with a 18-135mm kit lens at f/10.

Thanks for the edit.  I have pods set on my plants now.  I am going to set up the tripod later today and play around a bit.

Back