• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Husker21's FLOG (what the hell is a flog?)

Food log?  My garden isn't pimp enough to warrant a glog this season.  I want to start contributing something I have some knowledge in to the forum.  JoynersPepper's thread also inspired me.  http://thehotpepper.com/topic/32869-my-obsession-with-heat-and-food/  Some amazing looking food coming out of his kitchen.

I will start off with a quick one.  These jals from my garden are stuffed with diced imported salami (cant remember from where but this stuff is from the local specialty Italian shop) and a smoked mozz cream cheese spread (also from the same shop as the salami).  The cheese spread was flavorful enough on its own.  I just mixed the salami, spread, and a little bit of shredded cheddar and stuffed these guys.  Rigged up a ghetto popper cooking apparatus until I can get a real one.  There is also an obligatory shot of the pork tenderloins I made that night as well.  

Before
photo4_zpseefb97a2.jpg

During
photo5_zps61d2163f.jpg

After
photo6_zps03ff4a20.jpg

I ate 4 or the 6.  They tasted great, nice smoke from the mozz and just enough salt from the salami.  I thought they had no heat.  The wife thought they were hot and was pounding water.  I think my tolerance is starting to build... and I did eat a bunch of habanero potato chips before dinner that fried my mouth.  lol

texas blues said:
Chingon looking poppers!

Whereda' 'poke at?

Ha ha.  The pork was rubbed with my bbq rub.  Sliced it up and served it on some tortillas with my jalapeno hot sauce, cheddar, and a squeeze of lime.  

I picked my one lonely eggplant this morning (although I did notice some flowers which made me happy).  Had a hankering for some eggplant parm.  Made the sauce with some san marzano tomatoes at lunch time.  After work I egg washed and dipped the slices of eggplant in some italian style panko bread crumbs.  I was pretty stoked when I saw 4C come out with the italian style in panko form!  Tossed the slices on a cookie tray with some EVOO and convection baked them until they were golden brown and delicious.  Layered the slices with some of that sauce and some fresh mozz... sprinkled some romano between each layer as well.  On the side I did some mashed cauliflower.  Hit those with some butter, cheddar, romano, onion and garlic powder, s&p.  And can't have parm without some bread... in this case garlic!  Might go and have round 2 of the eggplant.  :)

photo7_zpsb32afcef.jpg

Husker21 said:
I picked my one lonely eggplant this morning (although I did notice some flowers which made me happy).  Had a hankering for some eggplant parm.  Made the sauce with some san marzano tomatoes at lunch time.  After work I egg washed and dipped the slices of eggplant in some italian style panko bread crumbs.  I was pretty stoked when I saw 4C come out with the italian style in panko form!  Tossed the slices on a cookie tray with some EVOO and convection baked them until they were golden brown and delicious.  Layered the slices with some of that sauce and some fresh mozz... sprinkled some romano between each layer as well.  On the side I did some mashed cauliflower.  Hit those with some butter, cheddar, romano, onion and garlic powder, s&p.  And can't have parm without some bread... in this case garlic!  Might go and have round 2 of the eggplant.   :)

photo7_zpsb32afcef.jpg

Love it!

You like to be liking skin on or off on the eggplant?

I like it on for the bitter contrast.

One 'thang though....

Whereda' heat at?

texas blues said:
Love it!

You like to be liking skin on or off on the eggplant?

I like it on for the bitter contrast.

One 'thang though....

Whereda' heat at?
You caught me. Lol Besides some cracked black pepper this had no heat. I am making up some habanero hot sauce that I will incorporate into something just for you. How does wings with a habanero pineapple and ginger hot sauce sound?

Boss just Rick Rolled your Flog with that damm Geoduck! :rofl: 

Where these Habanero Wingydings at???

Nice start to your Flog, btw.

Scoville DeVille said:
Boss just Rick Rolled your Flog with that damm Geoduck! :rofl: 

Where these Habanero Wingydings at???

Nice start to your Flog, btw.
Lol on the clam.

Thanks DeVille. I am competing in a BBQ competition this weekend. We are doing our usual chicken we won with 2 years in a row. Baby backs for the pork rib round. Chefs choice will be a pulled pork quesadilla that is going to be stuffed with pork bacon and an onion jam. Garnish for that will be a sour cream drizzle diced red and yellow tomatoes crumbled bacon and a wedge of lime. Dessert round is a free form cheesecake layered with all kinds of chocolate madness. Will have to bust out the good camera for this one.
PS. I need to make that hab sauce this weekend before I can do the wings. :)

Make sure it's spicy, and post it!

One of the key components in my bbq rub is smoked paprika.  Now that I caught the gardening bug I will be making my own smoked pap next season.  I am going to try my hand at a personal chili powder blend as well.  My guess is making my own pap and chili pow will be the same price if not more to produce than store bought.  But I like having control over what goes into the blends so I can refine it over time.   

Husker21 said:
You caught me. Lol Besides some cracked black pepper this had no heat. I am making up some habanero hot sauce that I will incorporate into something just for you. How does wings with a habanero pineapple and ginger hot sauce sound?

I like slight to medium sweet hab sauces. Pineapple and/or mango make for a tasty combo and sounds good to moi.

I look forward to seeing a recipe and pics of the sauce.

But am really looking forward to seeing pics of your 'que for this weekend.

Kick some ass amigo!

Back