• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Hydro details

Dropping the grow and just using micro and bloom should speed up ripening. You may even want to push up the overall nutrient strength a bit (+30%) now, especially the bloom.

Well right now I am using 3ml/gal of Micro and 6ml/gal of Bloom. So you think I should start doing something like 4ml/gal Micro and 8ml/gal Bloom or just 3ml/gal Micro and keep the 8ml/gal Bloom?

Sounds good... Yeah, you might try going up to 3M + 8B to bring on the ripening. It's a small enough change there's not much risk especially late in the season. Nice going so far. I've got one DWC plant this year that is really starting to look good. I'll take some pictures after I tie it up.

Well all that talk I did about comparing a store bought Habanero to one of mine currently growing, just happened sooner than planned. My dad is REALLY not a chili head and is REALLY getting into the salsa thing now. He has 5 recipes he found in Better Homes and Gardens and is going to be very busy this weekend. Well he went to the farmers market and picked up a few peppers and one of them was an Orange Hab. Well as he asked me a few questions I decided to have him fallow me to my hydro setup to compare his cute little Hab he got compared to my monsters. Well Ill admit its a little smaller than the ones I saw at Cub Foods so I will still do MY comparison but this will give you all some idea. Hope you enjoy. :D

For fare comparison here is Orange Hab vs. Orange Hab.
IMG00462-20100827-1820.jpg

Now two pics comparing the cute little silly looking Orange Hab vs. my Red Savina.
IMG00463-20100827-1820.jpg

and...
IMG00464-20100827-1821.jpg

Well since I have not put my cayenne's in the fridge I have just let them sit out and I was wondering if it is ok that the cayenne's dry out like this or if it means I should be using them soon? This is what they are looking like right now. I was planning on making some salsa or maybe some Louisiana style hot sauce.
IMG00490-20100829-2155.jpg

If any of you have a recipe on making a great simple Louisiana sauce for wings and stuff please let me know.

Thanks

I'm no expert on sauce making, but I think they've gone a bit far for salsa. Maybe dry them out more and crush them for sprinkling on food. I don't grow many cayennes, but I think they are great in stir-fry. Congratulations on the harvest and your C. Chineses are looking great. I finally posted some pics of my DWC Scorpion. They're in my thread and the Scorpion thread. Can't wait to see those Red Savinas ripen up. Those will make a killer salsa!

This is now WEEK 13. I haven't taken any pics yet but I did do a lot of work to my plants last night. i tried to fin a way to tie them so they would stand strait up, but that just wasn't happening so I tied just the Red Savina and Orange Hab. I also bumped the nutes. I am doing 3ml/g of the Micro and 8ml/g of Bloom. In addition to that I decided my plants also needed a much needed pruning so I did that to. I don't think I went to crazy maybe I did on one of the plants but most of what I trimmed off was on the main "trunk" before it would come to a "V". I did trim some of the stuff on the "V" but when I post pics you all will see what was done and can let me know how bad or good I did. The plants were also very thirsty since they drank all the water and were starting to wilt so the change was right in time. I have heard stressing the plants like that can cause ripening so maybe that will also do the trick. I will try to get pics up tonight so please stay tuned. ;)

Well not a whole lot to share for week 13. The root ball still looks the same as last and that plants still look just as beautiful and healthy as last time. But the plants did get a much needed trimming and here is what the kids look like with their new doo's

Hard to tell but I may have taken just a titch more than needed on the Red Savina and Orange Hab.
IMG00494-20100901-0704.jpg

I noticed this, this morning....My Orange Hab seems to be turning colors :dance: :woohoo:
IMG00495-20100901-0704.jpg

So I know its REAL soon for an update but from this morning to tonight there is already some speedy progress on the turning. Oooooooh I cant wait.
IMG00496-20100901-1804.jpg

To make my day even better then it was already, my little care package showed up today. These are 5oz woozy bottles that those huge Orange Habs and Red Savinas are going to be going into when I get them all sauced up. ;)
IMG00497-20100901-1814.jpg

Well I didn't take a picture since it was raining and I was in a hurry to get off to work, but there is even more obvious ripening today. Cant wait to see what it looks like tonight or even more so when its done. When it is fully ripe I will be sure to do the size comparison of the store bought Orange Habanero along with taking out my caliper to get some official measurements of this beast. :onfire:

Well it has been 4 days since the nute change, two days after pruning and three days after I started to notice the ripening. So here is where its all at. Ill be sure not to do another update until Monday-ish ;)

Here is the Orange Habanero.
IMG00508-20100903-0704.jpg

...and the Red Savina starting.
IMG00510-20100903-0705.jpg

Hopefully by next week or so I will have a nice bunch of pods to start making and testing the "Hab 'N' Honey" recipe.

Well here we are now on WEEK 14 Man it is AMAZING on what 24-48 hours can do. 24 hours ago my Orange Habanero only had one pod that was almost completely orange and the others were green.Here is the proof. My blackberry says I took this pic below on the 9/5/2010 which then automatically gets uploaded to my photobucket account.
IMG00511-20100905-1357.jpg

Then today I look at them and the one is a BEAUTIFUL orange and ready to be picked and the other pods are catching up quite nicely. Here are some pics. These im sure dont look nearly as good as they do in person but that orange looks amazing.
IMG00520-20100906-1118.jpg

Then the Red Savinas. I have about 4-5 pods starting to ripen and one of them almost completely orange right now. It seems that bump in the bloom nutrient is really doing the trick. well here is a pic of three that I could fit in the frame.
IMG00521-20100906-1118.jpg

To my amazement, when i changed the nutes today the container was still almost full. We haven't had many humid days last week and perhaps the plants just havent been that thirsty then. It has been a while since I have posted up some root shots so here is a root pic. Enjoy. :D
IMG00522-20100906-1119.jpg

Congratulations! 14 weeks is a long time to wait. The pods look super healthy and look like they will pack major heat. Impressive show.

Well here is a shot I took this morning. Its like I could be watching them ripen right before my eyes. They weren't like this when I took the above pics. On the left are the Red Savinas and on the right are the Orange Habs. There are about 11 savinas being shown in this pic and where you see the Orange Habs, there are about 3-4 more hiding behind the ripe ones.
IMG00523-20100907-0715.jpg

The original recipe for my "Hab N Honey" sauce I had figured 10-15 Habaneros, and Red Savinas are technically Red Habs correct? Im thinking maybe ill end up doing 10 Red Savinas with 5 Orange Habs and what ever I have left over or ripens after words can be used in my salsa to spice it up just a bit.

Well here is a shot I took this morning. Its like I could be watching them ripen right before my eyes. They weren't like this when I took the above pics. On the left are the Red Savinas and on the right are the Orange Habs. There are about 11 savinas being shown in this pic and where you see the Orange Habs, there are about 3-4 more hiding behind the ripe ones.
IMG00523-20100907-0715.jpg

The original recipe for my "Hab N Honey" sauce I had figured 10-15 Habaneros, and Red Savinas are technically Red Habs correct? Im thinking maybe ill end up doing 10 Red Savinas with 5 Orange Habs and what ever I have left over or ripens after words can be used in my salsa to spice it up just a bit.

looking real nice man .. maybe i missed it but did you do any kind of flushing on your hydro system???? you will want to flush a week before harvest... keep the good work up bro!!!

looking real nice man .. maybe i missed it but did you do any kind of flushing on your hydro system???? you will want to flush a week before harvest... keep the good work up bro!!!

Just curious, what is the purpose of flushing the nutes a week before harvest?

Just curious, what is the purpose of flushing the nutes a week before harvest?

you can search for more stuff if you want to know more .. but this is what i have found real fast ... it is called leaching also.. there is a ton info out there on this... i used to use stuff like this but i have found just using plain PH water works just as good for the final flush.. just my 2cents... :)

http://www.hydroasis.com/hy/productdetail.aspx?id=795&product=clearex

So is that something you would use once you were done and wanted to clean your system out in addition to if I wanted to reuse my Hydroton? Would you run this while the plants are still being used in the system? I plan on taking my Hab and Red Savina and putting them in plastic coffee containers or something of that size and try to see if I can over winter them for when we move to our new home (hopefully).

Back