• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

I can't take it anymore!

This is my last year growing peppers. Or anything for that matter. It's sad because I love it so much but that is the problem. The people around here have no respect for my stuff and with me being worrysome already makes for a stressful time. Even though I love it, it's not worth me dying over. My Dad is always doing something, not watching out and ends up hitting some plants or something. My mom smokes and I always worry about TMV too. There was small hail last week and I almost had a heart attack. Just the way I am. It is a sad day but I'll find another hobby.

Dude, you gotta quit worrying! Your plants won't get TMV from your mom smoking around them. As long as she's not breaking open unlit cigarettes and smearing wet tobacco all over the plants, you're fine! Hell, there is even some evidence that strains of TMV are plant specific and only produce symptoms and problems on certain plants. That means that the TMV strain that hurts tobacco could be contagious to your peppers, but would likely not hurt production or the health of your plants.

And is your dad breaking branches off your plants? If he's just bumping into them or even knocking them over without causing visible damage, there's really no worry. A bit of stress makes plants stronger, pods hotter, and produces more anti-oxidants in the fruit.

And the disease thing, you've just got to forget about. Most people who grow plants in containers at the level folks on this forum do will never experience devastating diseases (at least in peppers!). Commercial growers have problems with disease because they have tons of plants, and they often don't rotate like they should. Not too much money in cover crops! So they build up diseases in their fields, and plants are bound to contract them. Plants in pots, planted in new potting medium, have a very slim chance of contracting a disease that will put them down for good, ESPECIALLY pepper plants.

So please, relax, have a beer, and just watch them grow! I promise you, if you plant the seeds and give them water and sun, you will get pods. I did my share of worrying about weather, disease, pod drop. I even had plants blown completely over by tornado force winds. And now I'm up to my nuts in pods already, and I'm only harvesting from 4 or 5 of my 30+ plants.

Repeat this mantra: If I plant them, they will burn.... If I plant them, they will burn.....

I know thay won't get it from smoking around them but there is tobacco from the pack on the table or whereever sometimes and I worry about touching the table and then my plants. My dad hasn't broka a branch yet but I can see it happening.

chillilover said:
I know thay won't get it from smoking around them but there is tobacco from the pack on the table or whereever sometimes and I worry about touching the table and then my plants. My dad hasn't broka a branch yet but I can see it happening.

We had thunderstorms. My son shot a football into the beds not only one times, I had slug attacks, the tortoises chewed on the leaves and the little puppy chewed off whole branches. Neem and lady bugs had to take care of a lot of aphids. But all that passed. And now I have healthy plants with loads of pods. There is no such thing as gardening without setbacks. It's part of the game and it's part of the thrill.

TMV is spreaded by insects. So if there are not any mexican aphids that smoke yer mom's tobacco and than eat some of your peppers' leaves as a salad then your plants won't be harmed.

Gardening is supposed to be fun and relieve stress, so if its stressing you out then maybe its just not for you. You do however seem to be worrying too much over small insignificant details. Maybe you just need to start less plants next year and concentrate on them until you have more space and/or experience

rds040800 said:
There is a new one, how did you end up with a tortoise near your plants?

They run around our yard cos' we rented them with our house. The house owners can't keep them anymore in their third floor appartement.

POTAWIE said:
Gardening is supposed to be fun and relieve stress, so if its stressing you out then maybe its just not for you. You do however seem to be worrying too much over small insignificant details. Maybe you just need to start less plants next year and concentrate on them until you have more space and/or experience

It's not space or experience just a disrespectful dad and a stessed out son.:rolleyes: It's not that I have too many plants either i'd still worry if I had one. I need to hit the doctors for some valium.

I'm with POTAWIE - if it is stressing you out I't might be for the best if you don't grow plants. Sorry.

You can always start again when you have your own garden with a greenhouse made from bulletproof glass, with a strong lock and automatic temperature and humidity controls;)

chilax! If you enjoy it, just stick with it and do the best job you can. Not everything is going to work out perfectly but plants can be pretty tolerant of less than perfect conditions as well.

On the other hand if it's your dad's disrespect for your hobby tell me which hobby would he respect? His own hobbies? Is there any of his hobbies you would like? Would he respect you if you performed one of his hobbies? Wouldn't he always do it better?
There might be a decision to be made: do you wanna be YOU yourself and his son or only his son?

Chillielover take a step back and get a grip. In the long run does it really matter what your pop does? Does it really matter if the plants get TMV and die? It would suck for sure, we all work hard at growing these things we love but, does it matter? Everything we do in this life is temporary. The plants we grow, relationships with friends and family, all of it. Temporary.

A man much wiser than me once gave me some advice that I've come to embrace and it has helped me deal with the actions of idiots. He said do not let the actions of others rule your emotions.

Good luck to you.

Armadillo said:
On the other hand if it's your dad's disrespect for your hobby tell me which hobby would he respect? His own hobbies? Is there any of his hobbies you would like? Would he respect you if you performed one of his hobbies? Wouldn't he always do it better?
There might be a decision to be made: do you wanna be YOU yourself and his son or only his son?

He might respect me getting a 44 magnum and taking up shooting if you know what I mean......I think I might:hell:

chillilover said:
He might respect me getting a 44 magnum and taking up shooting if you know what I mean......I think I might:hell:

Feed him a Naga. And then talk about respect. If he is able to discuss then.:hell:

Back