• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

I hate living in a small town

In the City I live in that thinks its a small town, small local shops are eager to provide you with service, special ordering anything they can possibly get to win your business away from the chainstores. My experience in small towns generally has been that service and quality rule over variety and quantity. Of course, in all places, politeness and courtesy buy a lot of quality service. Patronizing behavior does not. "Please" and "thank you so much" and "I'll be ordering this regularly" has opened doors for me that frustration and sharp words lock.

You walked to how many different stores in 20 minutes? In february I drove all over the place for an hour and a half looking for a light fixture and a grow light the right size- went to 4 stores in 3 communities....

Celeste said:
You walked to how many different stores in 20 minutes? In february I drove all over the place for an hour and a half looking for a light fixture and a grow light the right size- went to 4 stores in 3 communities....

Let's see... 5 stores including all the grocery stores (there are 2) - that's all the stores here that could possibly carry epsom salt. I said it was a small town.

If I borrowed a car and drove for an hour and a half I would arrive at the next town. I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere. Note that I said arrive - then I would have to drive around there and possibly find what I was looking for (unless I called ahead and knew where to get it - if I could get it - of course) before I drove an hour and a half to get home again. The gas price here is 6.50 US$ per US gallon.

^^^^^That's the problem and not my attitude, and I don't apreciate what you are implying. Business owners know that we really don't have any choice when it comes to these small, inexpensive items. I won't travel 125 kilometers to get it, and if I do order it of the internet the shipping cost will more times than not be as much as the item itself. (Not to mention that I'll probably need to order at least twice the amount I want before my order even reaches the "Minimum order limit".)

Now - if I wanted to buy a new computer or refrigerator, that would be a whole other story. When it comes to the more expensive stuff they bend over backwards to cater to you, and wouldn't "lose" your request.

This is where I live BTW.

So I guess it is used to bathe your feet? I have seen it used as a component in bath salts (along with perfume and other crap), but here in Sweden pure epsom salt is apparently only sold to the public as a laxative.

Wonder if I should explain to the MILF that I'm using the 2 kilos I ordered for my plants?

MrArboc said:
but here in Sweden pure epsom salt is apparently only sold to the public as a laxative.

Wonder if I should explain to the MILF that I'm using the 2 kilos I ordered for my plants?

Depends. If you would want a date tell her about the plants otherwise she'll just think you're really really really backed-up.

Ahhhhhh.......American idioms trip us all again. To soak is to bathe, but you don't need to bathe to soak.
Soaking of feet is for sore feet, not necessarily dirty feet.

MrArboc said:
No, it removes the natural fats on the skin that we need to survive winter.

Do you live in tents outside? :o) .. so if it removed natural fats- can it make you lose weight?! small towns are nice, you have the peace and friendliness. Just moved a year ago upstate NY from suburban jersey- 20 mins outside of manhattan and i LOVE it!

Whatever Willard:lol:

Anyway, I did get the epsom salt yesterday. It turns out that they did order it. Now let's see if they call me in a couple of weeks and ask me to pick up another 2 kilos;)

Nicole said:
Do you live in tents outside? :o)

No, we live inside the tents, or at least the sami use to do that parts of the year.

;)

But seriously, if it's really cold (it gets down to -40-45C here) you don't wash your face or shave in the morning if you are going out because the fats does protect the skin.

Arboc and his neighbor chewin' the fat........

cariboutent-L.jpg

MrArboc said:
^^^^^That's the problem and not my attitude, and I don't apreciate what you are implying. Business owners know that we really don't have any choice when it comes to these small, inexpensive items. I won't travel 125 kilometers to get it, and if I do order it of the internet the shipping cost will more times than not be as much as the item itself. (Not to mention that I'll probably need to order at least twice the amount I want before my order even reaches the "Minimum order limit".)

Now - if I wanted to buy a new computer or refrigerator, that would be a whole other story. When it comes to the more expensive stuff they bend over backwards to cater to you, and wouldn't "lose" your request.

No offense was intended. I see I did not explain myself clearly. I was speaking from personal experience. When I am frustrated, I am frequently not a nice person. Doesnt do me a damn bit of good. A pleasant tone of voice and a calm explanation have opened doors for me I did not think were possible. At the Department of Motor Vehicles, no less. An agency not in general known for helpful service, kindness or understanding. I've tried the new attitude other places, pleased with the results. Working in customer service,now, I greatly appreciate patient customers. Sort of feel like that human beings are human beings, we come with pretty much the same emotional chemistry. Regardless of where you live or what language you speak. Of course, local customs and regional availability can make all of that a moot point.

Back