• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

IGG (Passow) Grow Log 03-07-2008

Ok, here we go. Just finished planting my first set of new “Cleveland” planted seeds. This is the first time I’ve grown something in Cleveland in 5 years. Mark the date, 03-07-08. So here’s the pics and list of what’s been planted (more to be added in the next few weeks):

Peppers:
Piquranno
Piquin
Bhut Jolokia

Other Stuff
Havana Tobacco
West Australian Pitcher Plant (Cephalotus follicularis)
South West Giant Venus Fly Trap (Dionaea muscipula)
Regular Venus Fly Trap (Dionaea muscipula)
(?)Yellow Pitcher Plant (Sarracenia flava)- All I remember is that this is a Sarracenia

Here's a close up:
tray1xd9.jpg

And here's a picture of it resting atop the refridgerator (it's warmer up there than in the basement where they'll eventually be).

tray2tv7.jpg

IGG...do you need/want other seeds? I still have some that I can give you...if you are interested, I will get a list together of what I have...

AlabamaJack said:
IGG...do you need/want other seeds? I still have some that I can give you...if you are interested, I will get a list together of what I have...
Sure, send me a list. I think I'm kinda stocked up and have limited space. But if there's something I REALLY want on the list I'll find some space. Thanks!

gardenkiller said:
Wow where do you get seeds for venus fly trap....I haven't seen one of those for years!
I helped create the seeds (they came off one of my plants...used to breed them). On an on again off again carnivorous plant phreak. Back in LA I was a member of the LACPS (Los Angeles Carnivorous Plant Society) and had a 5 gallon tank of death where many a insects met their death at the hands of my babies....I'll have to locate some pics.

Right on. I gotta get busy with my tobacco and carnivore seeds now too.
How much snow did you finally get? We got about 6 inches (?cm).

what is up with all you guys growing your own tobacco? is this just a really common thing i've never noticed until now?

imaguitargod said:
I helped create the seeds (they came off one of my plants...used to breed them). On an on again off again carnivorous plant phreak. Back in LA I was a member of the LACPS (Los Angeles Carnivorous Plant Society) and had a 5 gallon tank of death where many a insects met their death at the hands of my babies....I'll have to locate some pics.

Any chance you would want to trade some pepper seeds for some fly trap seeds? This has really got me interested!

I just got some from Nute with my auction and I got a friend that always wanted to grow his own smoke. So he's going to be the only one around that is growing in his backyard. I'm going to start them and plant them in his yard for him.

GrumpyBear said:
what is up with all you guys growing your own tobacco? is this just a really common thing i've never noticed until now?
I like cigars :)

ABurningMouth said:
How much snow did you finally get? We got about 6 inches (?cm).
I think we got 2 feet..... I'm posting a thing about it in The Lounge right now.

gardenkiller said:
Any chance you would want to trade some pepper seeds for some fly trap seeds? This has really got me interested!
Unfortunitly the seeds that I have are not for sale nor for trade.

But if you want to purachse plants (I recomend plants, it's really hard to germinate CP seeds other than VFT's) then go to http://www.flytraps.com. They are the best on the net.

IGG,

Need some advice from you in growing VFT and pitcher plants. Ordered seeds of both b4 and tried to grow them and didn't get anything! I know u have to create a bog environment and I did my best but, alas, not a 1. :(

Philipperv said:
IGG,

Need some advice from you in growing VFT and pitcher plants. Ordered seeds of both b4 and tried to grow them and didn't get anything! I know u have to create a bog environment and I did my best but, alas, not a 1. :(

After stratifing your seeds, soak them in a gibberellic acid solution to stimulate the germination. That should work for you.

Just set up the second light unit of my mom's (also really old) and put the strater try under it. (let's just hope the dogs don't pee on it, it's at floor level)
light2in5.jpg

I just checked.... THE HAVANA TOBACO HAS JUST SPROUTED!!! I tried to get a pic but they are the size of a grain of sand right now so it didn't come out.

IGG, place something under your tray to get your plants closer to your light since you cannot lower your light. Grats on the tobacco sprouts, sounds really cool growing your own smoke. Sounds like spring is still weeks away in Ohio.

Back