• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

I'm Guilty of Contributing to the Mess

I recently had an individual contact me asking for a couple of different 7 Pod seeds. He asked for the ones I have labeled as "perfect" and "domestic". I happily sent them to him.

He thanked me when they showed up and then said he only needed seeds from one other variety and he would then have seeds from all 17 varieties of 7 Pods. 17 varieties of 7 Pods.

When I was posting the seeds I have available I needed a way to distinguish between the different growing pods I had so folks would know what to ask for. The "perfect" pods got that name because one of the pods last year looked like a perfect representation to me of a 7 pod. Key words there are "to me". The seeds for it came from someone here and were labeled 7 Pod. Just plain old everyday 7 pod. I used the word "domestic" for another one, again to give me a way to differentiate the seeds from other regular old 7 pods. These seeds also came from a grower here and were labeled 7 pod. Plain old regular 7 pod. Nothing else. Some of them are small, some large, some have a lot of wrinkles, some have just a few. They are all plain old regular 7 pods.

Now because I used a unique name for the seeds someone is thinking they are their own species. I should have just said "smaller" or "larger" or #1 and #2 and so on. Live and learn.

So moral of the story is this: Be careful what you call your peppers as there are people who will take you literally and before you know it there will be 17 different species of 7 pods.

Also, if you see someone calling their 7 pods "perfect" or "domestic" tell them they are just your plain old regular 7 pod peppers.

So moral of the story is this: Be careful what you call your peppers as there are people who will take you literally and before you know it there will be 17 different species of 7 pods.

Also, if you see someone calling their 7 pods "perfect" or "domestic" tell them they are just your plain old regular 7 pod peppers.

Good point Patrick, Ive noticed especially over the last year a big rise in "strains" for certain species and alot of it I suspect as you said was cause by some just calling there pods something different.

with that being said, when are you gonna send me some White Naga seeds? ;)

I wonder if it was the same person( I don't remember who it was) that asked me what the seeds I sent them were,what strain because I sent them seeds labled 7 pot and T.Scorpions-not labled as anything other than 7 pot or t.scorpion.

They didn't understand that about ALL of these seeds will probably have several pod variations even on the same plant.

They think some seeds ONLY grow 1 type of pod on each specific plant.

I myself gave up on expecting anything even close to pod uniformity with most 7 pot or scorpion strains I have.

I collect them all ,anything I can get seeds for.
That way I'll eventually get all the variations or possible strains.

I'm sure I get more than 17 variations just from any 17 seeds that make it to pod growing plants. :)

Most of the seeds I get I lable as 7 pot#1 etc. in my collection.
I keep the brain strain or whatever lable to just help me keep track of who I got them from and what I might get for pods from said seeds.

Basicaly most of the seeds I grew that are labled as 7pot brain strain etc. have few pods that look like the brain strain pod or whatever.

The only constant characteristic I see as a possible constant is some varieties grow longer pods while others grow mostly round or oval pods and sometimes color is another constant but not always especially with the browns/chocolates.

People don't realise most of the pics posted of this or that variety are of the most perfect pod they got of that variety from that plant most,if not all the time.

Also most of the seeds going around are not from either stablized crosses/versions or isolated seeds.

As Smokemaster says, there certainly is a lot of variation within even a single plant. I will say I do get somewhat consistent strains of the varieties I label though. I do believe the term '7 pot' is used pretty loosely. :) Same with Scorpion. i doubt even two natives in Trinidad would call the same pod the same thing. :) Oh well, I still like growing all the different ones. What can I say? :)

Even the term Chinense is a misnomer :eek:

People are going to call them what they will.

Personally, I like the designations like TFM.

At least that tells you where or whom they came from.

It's a Sisyphean task to get chile taxonomy right......nobody gets it right now and you're not going to make it worse.

i've always found it easier to put labels on my plants and my seedpacks where they came from and from who. so i'll know what's what. so if i got seeds from junglerain, they have junglerain on there, or from hot pooper or from whoever. so in case i need identification and clarification i'll just look it up and find out. if it got crossed or if they grow true.

Willard3 thanks for the vocabulary lesson.

Sisyphean: 1. of or like Sisyphus
2. endless and toilsome, useless, etc.: a Sisyphean task

Freaking awesome word!

franzb69, sounds like you have a great plan.

Willard3 thanks for the vocabulary lesson.

Sisyphean: 1. of or like Sisyphus
2. endless and toilsome, useless, etc.: a Sisyphean task

Freaking awesome word!

franzb69, sounds like you have a great plan.
Now if you can say it 10 times fast with the correct pronunciation, the rest of us will be extremely impressed! :lol:

Its not so bad when it is innocent renaming especially for identification of origin or size or shape purposes, it will happen all the time. The ones that piss me off are the buccaneers that do it deliberately to mislead people and purchasers into buying their "NEW and EXOTIC, SPECIALLY BRED and HAND SELECTED" highly priced variants that they have received from some generous soul on the forum or that has popped up in their growing.
I think that it is sensible to add description names onto the end of variants as their are some many interesting variants. Like Chris says how else do you keep track of what they looked like last time and who sent them to you? I suppose a system of numbering is possible but then you are not letting the people that you share them with know what to expect from the seed..

Its not so bad when it is innocent renaming especially for identification of origin or size or shape purposes, it will happen all the time. The ones that piss me off are the buccaneers that do it deliberately to mislead people and purchasers into buying their "NEW and EXOTIC, SPECIALLY BRED and HAND SELECTED" highly priced variants that they have received from some generous soul on the forum or that has popped up in their growing.
I think that it is sensible to add description names onto the end of variants as their are some many interesting variants. Like Chris says how else do you keep track of what they looked like last time and who sent them to you? I suppose a system of numbering is possible but then you are not letting the people that you share them with know what to expect from the seed..

Or when U.S. vendors buy wholesale from overseas growers who have well-recognized names for their varieties, but the U.S. vendor decides to switch up which names go with which varieties, apparently because he thinks his names suit the peppers better.

But the most frustrating experience has to be the vendor who, year after year, carries a pepper of a certain name in his catalog, but changes which seeds get sent out from one year to the next, so that the poor customer never knows what he's getting when he orders that certain seed.

Patrick ... guess I'm guilty of doing something like that . Naming seeds from "one" plant a little differently so I could try and keep up with things. I've used shape and size as a reference too.

Because of my love of Scotch Bonnet Peppers and hoping to in time come with a strain or two that give me all the things I want ... Flavor , Shape , Size , productiveness , basic health and ease of growing .... So not being a scientist but still understanding I need to keep up with things some how . Last year I saved one pod from a plant that was darn close to perfect in my eye. Loved the shape .. the taste .. size .. color ( true yellow ) and the plant was a great one. Notes I didn't take the first year was how uniform ALL the pods where.
I named those seeds "Best Scotch Bonnet". I see now how that could mislead folks. "Best" ... of what ... or who's. The "Best Scotch Bonnet" seeds gave me different plants . A couple of plants gave me dibby dibby results. Two had pods the shape I'm hoping for but were far more orange. And both had a large mix of shape and size. One plant had yellow pods shaped the way I want. But it still didn't throw pods that were all the same shape, especially smaller branches and later in the season. I saved pods for seed from this that I liked for next year. I'll again name it much the same. " Best 10' " . I also grew more SB plants that came from the same source this year. They're simpley called "Scotch Bonnet Yellow". All the plants gave me good tasting pods and there was a mix of shapes , sizes of pods and plant size. Some as nice as my "Best" plants.

It's easy to see how people , simple folks like most of us can add to the confusion at times. Guess people need to me more aware and ask a few more questions at time.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

Back