• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

water Irrigate with lake water?

Howdy!

I live on a small private lake, the water is semi-clear to light green, decent vegetation and supports a healthy black bass, redear, crappie and green sunfish population.

Our county water system supplies what appears to be soft water, like after washing your hands they feel slippery and the iron has white deposits at the steam holes. Although I thought that was a sign of hard water.

Would it be preferable with the limited information above to pump lake water to the garden rather than using the county water?

If there is not much boat traffic in the water then I would say go for it. I might be wrong though, but it seems to me that there will be nutrients in the water that would benefit the plants. Just my two cents though.

lake water yes!! I had a cistern well which is primarily table water or where the water table is. My well was 24 ft deep but hit the stream at 12-13 ft that fills it. I used it for 4 years on my garden before I sold the place and they loved it!! we were just off the lake up hill a short distance so I figure the water we was getting was lake water.

normally untreated water is better for plants than city treated water....JMO

+1 Lake water would be the best to use, that is as long as there's no serious contamination but since there's vegetation and fish go for it!

Definitley go with the lake water, once the weather is descent and I take my plants outside, I will be pumping water from a small creek that feeds into Lake Erie. Can't beat natures own.

I was thinking the lake water would be better but thought it would smart to ask. There are no outboard motors allowed on the lake but the storm system drains into the lake so any oil or gas from the neighborhood roads will end up on the lake. I do not believe it will be a problem since the fishing is really good.

They do Roundup the vegetation occasionally, would this be a issue if I am drawing water from below the surface?

Not to highjack the thread, but what about melting the snow outside to water my current seedlings? Not like I would make a dent in the snow amount, but its abundant and fresh from the sky.

Back