• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Is MG soil worth it?

Didnt say you did. And as chill as I am, infractions ensue for comments like that where I come from. Were gardeners man...take a toke and chill.

Yea it was just a quote I found that I had to bring up for all those against monsanto.

"These companies are pioneers in the field of food production."

Gives new meaning (throwing dirt).
Well i've done both and for me, organic has worked for me. I know what i'am feeding my kids and my soil, was also cheaper for me(starbuck coffee grinds-free,egg shells,free horse poop,own compost. You just do what is best for you.
Man i'am glad we are not talking about manure, could not handle the poo sling.

OK ya'll, just a little tip, when speaking on a subject " SPEAK ON YOUR OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE" people will take what you say better, the interwebz can be a great place for research but there is LOTS of CRAP out there, i found out while researching growing another crop. its much easier to convince someone not to use this or that if you tell why YOU dont use it instead of throwing out link after link of why OTHER say its bad or good.

now on subject, use whatever you want that allows you to grow peppers and is successful. i personally do not use MG as it does not work with me i killed all plants i had in it. i use Pro mix mixed with ocean forrest and ancient forrest, with organic veggie fert while mixing. put some bennies in the hole when i transplant and my plant seem to be pretty happy so far.

This year is the first year I have ever planted anything. I started off with some hyponix but my plants started doing all shitty. I got a big 2cuft bag of MG (I am a Walmart Garden Center employee) and we can get busted bags for $1.00 an asking customer can get any busted bag 50% off btw. I transplanted into MG and they are doing... better. Next year I plan to do it better with a better soil and Compost tea.

Bag of MG with chemical slow release fertz=$13.47 for 2.5cf

Bag of composted manure (with slow release organic nutrients)=$1.50 for .75cf
Bag of Topsoil=$1.09 for .75cf
Vermiculite=$16.97 for 2.0cf
Mix together=organic potting mix for $19.56

Also, you don't even need to use vermiculite or perlite. The pro-mix bails they sell are $5.99 for 1cf which I've found to be quite lite and fluffy.

Also they sell Pro-Mix organic potting soil OMRI approved none the less, with sea based organic compost for 5.99cf......(they sell this at menards btw) which is very close to the MG price as well

What! Is that promix good??? I could throw some mykos in it and perlite and Boooooom lucky me.

Yup, pretty good. I used it to start indoors and was impressed. I used it as is. I think I would have mixed it with a bag of compost and a little perlite maybe. I was really happy with it for 5.99cft

Yup, pretty good. I used it to start indoors and was impressed. I used it as is. I think I would have mixed it with a bag of compost and a little perlite maybe. I was really happy with it for 5.99cft

As just a soild straight up product it worked pretty well, no complications at all? And if you had to suggest a manure or compost what would you go with? And how much perlite to add to one cubic foot of it? :)

Back